Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I've been told by agents that it means that the route is not permitted

In the case of Atlantic vs Pacific when one exists and not the other... ...North America - Africa in this particular case.

In the case of no MPM altogether then maybe there are other issues!
booo... I guess I cant book ECN-BOG then.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BMGfan
Thanks I did try calling back and got it booked
^
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by BMGfan
Thanks I did try calling back and got it booked

I came up with different numbers for milage via gcmap, not sure why. Why would the MPM be the same for YYC-MXP as YZF-MXP? I'm FORCED to go through YEG or YYC and YYC is the international hub of the two. Also the mileage for yyc-yzf is 800 miles alone! How am I supposed to comply with any MPM from here?

In future I think we'll get ourselves to Calgary then we'll have MUCH more routing flexibility...

Thanks guys
Glad you got it done! Nice! I just took YYC as your start and endpoint for simplicity sake (sorry should have made that clear) and omitted YZF as there is no MPM5 listing for it for. No reflection on the importance of your home town;-)
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
booo... I guess I cant book ECN-BOG then.
I'm sure you could with USDM
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by sp4294
I'm sure you could with USDM
sure, but from what I hear about USDM you could probably convince the agent that BOG is in British Colombia and get it for NA rates
Old Oct 9, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yep you should be fine with that.

Suggested airlines are SN, LX, TK, CA, UA/US (yuck), SQ. OZ/TG/NH/AC will incur fuel surcharges. LH will incur TREMENDOUS fuel surcharges. Only use them when you are really, really, really stuck.
Thanks! ^

Was looking at flights and trying to get on SQ346 SIN-ZRH in J but every date I choose (as a test on UA), J is not available. Is this just because they truly do just sell out really fast? Or does SQ not release these until closer to the date?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:30 am

SQ does not release A380 J to *A period.

Only J in Europe they release is on the 772 which for the most part, have retrofitted seats that are the same as those on the 388 and 77W. Destinations that come to mind are FCO, IST and CPH. The latter two often have good availability if booked far in advance.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I've been told by agents that it means that the route is not permitted

In the case of Atlantic vs Pacific when one exists and not the other... ...North America - Africa in this particular case.

In the case of no MPM altogether then maybe there are other issues!
I think that's a case of hang up, call again. Someone I know just booked HKT-YYZ as a RTW, i.e. Pacific on the out and Atlantic on the return, and they didn't say anything, despite there being only PA MPM being published.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by tng11
SQ does not release A380 J to *A period.

Only J in Europe they release is on the 772 which for the most part, have retrofitted seats that are the same as those on the 388 and 77W. Destinations that come to mind are FCO, IST and CPH. The latter two often have good availability if booked far in advance.
Hmm, darn. Thanks for the heads-up!

Anybody have any preferred routings with low-YQ carriers from HKG-ZRH in J? I've heard TK is pretty good...but the timings aren't optimal for me and it seems the other choices being mostly LH/TG (at least on the UA search) are all high YQ.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Globex

Anybody have any preferred routings with low-YQ carriers from HKG-ZRH in J? I've heard TK is pretty good...but the timings aren't optimal for me and it seems the other choices being mostly LH/TG (at least on the UA search) are all high YQ.
Yeah HKG is a tricky one, because it's not a *A hub. You might be able to find CA through PEK? Aside from that, TK and LX would be your only non-YQ options.

Check www.flightconnections.com for a graphical display of who flies where, or search for Airline Route Mapper if you want to cap the display on Star Alliance airlines only.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by markandrew
This is valid. You are probably looking at $300 per pax. I'd roughly say $150 airport taxes and $150 for OZ fuel surcharge. You can find out the taxes by looking up each sector on UA and YQ is the published rate.

Just be advised you could just as well go

YYZ-SIN (through CPH or other) stop
SIN-TPE (stop)
TPE-ICN (stop)
ICN-YYZ (Atlantic or Pacific)

Remember you have three stops including your destination, or two plus an open jaw works also. The point being made before was you could also just as well add the flight between TPE-ICN as a second stop instead of as an open jaw, how else will you get TPE-ICN without flying???

SQ from CPH-SIN is an awful old J class hard product, you are better off on LX (YTZ-YUL-ZRH-SIN works beautifully) or on TK.
Thanks! That helps. I had always thought it was two stops or one stop + open jaw though? If it's three stops, then for sure we'd add TPE-ICN.

I believe SQ recently upgraded their J class product from CPH to SIN, at least according to this trip report http://www.businessclass.se/forum/re...mn-bilder.html
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Globex

Or if you have time and are flexible: HKG-(TPE-BKK-AMS)-ZRH on BR Royal Laurel () with Dom...
Yeah, I'm liking that airline a lot...

Last edited by sp4294; Oct 10, 2013 at 12:00 am
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:54 am

Or if you have time and are flexible: HKG-(TPE-BKK-AMS)-ZRH on BR Royal Laurel () with Dom...
Good point, never thought of that! I was just looking for flights HKG-ZRH directly with the auto connections, but I guess I can separately get the HKG-TPE, TPE-BKK-AMS, and AMS-ZRH legs.

Would it be considered backtracking of some sort if I go through BR and TPE on the way to HKG?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Or you could go:
HKG-PEK on CA
PEK-WAW on LO (787)
WAW-ZRH on LX

There is supposed to yq on the LO flight but it should be minimal - if they charge it.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
Or you could go:
HKG-PEK on CA
PEK-WAW on LO (787)
WAW-ZRH on LX

There is supposed to yq on the LO flight but it should be minimal - if they charge it.
They charge but less but try finding J for PEK-WAW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.