Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There needs to be no flights scheduled between your destinations.

For example, if you arrive from BKK at 5:40am, you cannot just simply take the IST-ZRH flight in the afternoon to get the tour - there is an earlier available flight (even though there may not have been award space), you will be denied.

I did the tour connecting between TAS (arrive 7am) and PEK (depart 10pm), but only because there was
a) no later flight scheduled from origin
b) no earlier flight departing for destination

I used their free hotel once too, but I have a passport that only costs USD20 for visa.
Also: intra-European does not count as "international". You need to be going "far away international". I asked.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:17 pm

Thank you rankourabu and jerryhung for your comments.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:42 pm

Ugh. I hate inconsistent agents. Trying to book YUL-xxx-DEL, DEL-xxx-Japan, Japan-xxx-Europe, Europe-YUL and being told that DEL is the POT, and not Japan, because it costs the most points. ARGJHdg;lkdfl
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Ugh. I hate inconsistent agents. Trying to book YUL-xxx-DEL, DEL-xxx-Japan, Japan-xxx-Europe, Europe-YUL and being told that DEL is the POT, and not Japan, because it costs the most points. ARGJHdg;lkdfl
If you are trying place a stop in DEL and Japan (eg. NRT), then DEL is your POT as it's the furthest from YUL.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
If you are trying place a stop in DEL and Japan (eg. NRT), then DEL is your POT as it's the furthest from YUL.
Japan is furthest, no? When routing over Atlantic. Last year when I did a similar itinerary through DXB, it wasn't the POT.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:02 pm

Japan is furthest, no? When routing over Atlantic. Last year when I did a similar itinerary through DXB, it wasn't the POT.
Yes, Japan is further than DEL from YUL via the Altantic, but that's not how AE determines which city is furthest away.

Great Circle Mapper is your friend. This is the way AE determines the furthest point from origin.

YUL-DEL - 7017 miles
YUL-NRT - 6449 miles

Your routing via DEL to NRT would be allowed as long you don't stop in DEL and it's under MPM to Japan via the Atlantic.

I've run into this before when trying to go to NRT from YYC via the Atlantic and trying to place a stop in BKK on the return also via the Atlantic.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:20 pm

Ugh. You're right. DXB is just barely under OKJ (8,200 vs 8,500), which is why it worked last year, but DEL comes up a lot further since it's 9,200-some. Hrm. I think I need to find an agent clueless enough to let this through yet self-confident enough to still take the spoonfed flights and think they are doing this right.

[edit] any suggestions on what city is closest to DEL such that there's a LCC operating into it for cheap and yet so that the MPM falls slightly under Japan? What I *really* need is TRV, actually.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:36 am

[edit] any suggestions on what city is closest to DEL such that there's a LCC operating into it for cheap and yet so that the MPM falls slightly under Japan? What I *really* need is TRV, actually.
If you want to cross the Atlantic both ways I think you need to move your Japan stop to make India work.

For example...

YUL-DEL - 7017 miles
YUL-PVG - 7069 miles

PVG is furthest from YUL, so you could stop in DEL on your way to PVG via the Atlantic and also return that way with a stop in Europe as long as your route is under the MPM for TATL YUL-PVG.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:46 am

Oooh. Interesting idea on PVG! Thanks. I'll explore this. Also checking SIN, but despite lots of flights from Europe, can't get over the pond around Xmas
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:52 am

EDIT: Never mind

Last edited by tng11; Oct 30, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tng11
MPM5: 12558

YUL-ORD-ICN-SYD is valid.

If you can find seats through JFK, that would be even better as it has OZ's newest QS lie-flat seats. The current ones to ORD are angle-flat.

(Funnily enough, SYD-ICN-ORD/JFK-YYZ isn't valid.)

I can't find a trans-atlantic MPM for YUL-SYD, but there's one for YYZ-SYD which is 20000. That means you can go through SIN/BKK, then another European city back to Canada. You could do something like SYD-SIN-IST-YYZ and it would be perfectly valid. I even managed to do YYZ-YUL-MUC-DME-FRA-BKK-SYD. Would highly recommend, as you can return scamcharge free by doing something like:

SYD-SIN-IST-IAD-YUL on SQ/SQ/TK.
Thanks for the feedback. Based on that I have changed my mind and want to try BR again so I can spend more time in TPE ( I was there for business but only for three days). So I am thinking in the following:

YUL-YYZ
YYZ-TPE (stop)
TPE-SIN
SIN-PER (stop)
SYD-YUL (any route back home is good)

Is that valid? If not, what would be a good way to visit TPE and any big city in Australia (MEL, PER, BNE, SYD) before heading back to YUL?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by uni3052
YUL-YYZ
YYZ-TPE (stop)
TPE-SIN
SIN-PER (stop)
SYD-YUL (any route back home is good)
Looks valid to me.

Your SYD-YUL would be fine with what was suggested earlier in reverse. I'm not sure if you could do it via the Atlantic since I can't see a MPM value for AT, so your options are pretty limited without a published routing.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:51 pm

My mini-rtw J trip is booked. Seat numbers are on my itinerary. Am I able to request for specific seats now? Would it be through Aeroplan or the respective airline?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyCsG
My mini-rtw J trip is booked. Seat numbers are on my itinerary. Am I able to request for specific seats now? Would it be through Aeroplan or the respective airline?
Respective airlines.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:46 pm

Respective airlines.
Thanks!

Just noticed I missed out on NH's 787 by choosing ICN over NRT as a 12-hour layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.