Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Changes to your Qualification Period

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to your Qualification Period

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:10 am

Programs: AerClub Conc
Originally Posted by Teplane
Rowley_Birken, I guess it's different for everyone, but it's a bet I would probably take. The tangible benefits of Concierge (vouchers) are great and all, but the big benefit to me is the Concierge phone line. While the service is nowhere near what it used to be, it's great to have a phone number and email address that EI will actually answer.

Firestarter 197, I agree. I don't think EI could have handled this worse. First, making the change with no notice and an email full of lies saying that everyone would benefit, then by completely refusing to engage or explain how it affects their customers when it finally became clear just how many of their customers are going to lose out

Even if after April, they make it right for me and give me new Concierge vouchers to make up for the lost partial year, the damage is done - EI have made clear with that that they don't have any real respect for any of their elites. I spend the price of a small car with them every year, which may not be a lot to them, but it's a lot to me, and the elite programme is EI's set of commitments to me if I spend that money.

I don't take this stuff personally, but I'm amazed from a CX perspective that they are so stupid that they think this doesn't incinerate their goodwill with their elites or that they won't remember being treated this badly.
Yeah it's a shame that it's the most loyal Conc flyers who are probably most hard done by. Like you said, I wouldn't rule out some additional gestures being made at a later stage, for me I'm just looking forward to a day where EI status goes beyond EI metal and it really starts to feel like being part of an alliance, as opposed to needing a 100% commitment to flights ticketed & marketed by a single airline to earn TCs.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Teplane
I don't take this stuff personally, but I'm amazed from a CX perspective that they are so stupid that they think this doesn't incinerate their goodwill with their elites or that they won't remember being treated this badly.
I'm sure most haven't forgotten the change from Gold Circle to Aerclub. GC point balances devalued by 80%+ in the conversion to Avios, and I was burned on status (only 4 months into status year and just short of next level up). I was told tough luck, so I took the hint and took most of my spend elsewhere.
Teplane and huruburu like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:47 am

Controversial I know but there are Concierge members who are bagging 2-3K tier points a year so unless those kick up I doubt HQ care that much to be honest.
sven60035, alserire and Teplane like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by firestarter197
Given you'd be so close, I'd be inclined to take the bet: it's only a non-discounted saver + plus fare (15+25) that you'd need or an advantage fare (40). There tend to be cheap fares from DUB to MAN or BHX, you're probably looking at a €150 return flight spend for a stab at getting Conc.
Maybe a daytrip to Donegal is in order!
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:31 am

British Airways Executive Club clear planning and communication versus AerClub idiocy

I am a member of the British Airways Executive Club though haven't been active as yet. Everything about how British Airways is going about this looks carefully thought through, planned and communicated, with protecting membership interests in mind https://www.britishairways.com/conte...ection-changes
Is AerClub just plain making a thoughtless and damaging mistake? That's what it looks like to me. April 1, 2025 makes sense as the start date of the new universal qualification period. Nothing about AerClub's approach makes sense.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ITA Club Executive, Mucci
If there is leniency, I see it as more so intended as a goodwill measure for those who were just short - for one reason or another, not excluding for example a last minute trip cancellation.
Yes, that's pretty much what I would have thought as well.
​​​
Originally Posted by Rowley_Birkin_QC
So looking at that, I had 755TP between April 1 2023 and today. 755 + 160 booked in March takes me to 915. Maybe a good time to book another trip?
I also agree with the others on here, I'd take the plunge. As I mentioned up thread, I've taken flights to get me over the line before. Never regretted it!
​​​​​
I'm just looking forward to a day where EI status goes beyond EI metal and it really starts to feel like being part of an alliance, as opposed to needing a 100% commitment to flights ticketed & marketed by a single airline to earn TCs.
There have been rumours about this for a long time. Since British Airways and Aer Lingus are aligning the years to the same date, which is also Iberia's collection year, one would think this is another step towards something. I would be happy if status was recognised even across the IAG airlines, because it would mean my BA Gold would give me benefits on Aer Lingus which would actually make me fly Aer Lingus more. I've been living in hope since Aer Lingus left oneworld - it's the only reason I switched to BA, as there are so many more partners. I'd also hope that there would be reciprocal recognition among the Atlantic Joint Business partners, which would also mean American Airlines and Finnair. Here's hoping!

However, if BA are going to take another year to get their ducks in order with the collection date harmonisation, we'll be waiting at least that long before anything happens, imho.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by huruburu
I am a member of the British Airways Executive Club though haven't been active as yet. Everything about how British Airways is going about this looks carefully thought through, planned and communicated, with protecting membership interests in mind.
When you look at the BA changes, they are virtually identical to what Aer Lingus are doing, even down to the lookback adjustment - they have just pushed it out by a year.

As I mentioned before, I do believe the usual issuing of Platinum and Concierge upgrades will take place for those going up a tier and also for those who retain their existing tier based on the recalculation, as would happen if you retained the status in any other year. I assume that would also mean you get the year plus the following year to 31 March 2026 just like if you renewed your status any other time. It wouldn't make sense to do it any other way.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:20 pm

We're obviously looking with different eyes. I see the British Airways plan as really respecting members' planning. Their communication is clear, thoughtful, with consideration given to every possible scenario for members, giving examples of process for each current anniversary date, month by month. The AerClub approach is extremely disrespectful, to the point of mindlessness. Also, I am very aware of the position of Green Tier members with current anniversary dates late in the year. In my own case, under the advertised and known rules when I purchased flights, I would move up to Silver in May, 6 months ahead of my anniversary, and have Silver status from May 2024 until November 2025. Instead, I had to change an AerSpace flight from April to March, losing a full week of a planned stay in Spain, and at an additional cost of €91. Furthermore, it seems I will have to start accumulating points all over again from April 1. This is just one example. I'm sure there are many members in similar positions, i.e., very close to moving up a tier and with anniversary dates late in the year. Flight Detective, I can do an analysis of the British Airways Executive Club plan and communication versus AerClub, but even on first reading I see a vast difference in respect, thoughtfulness, clarity and consideration. I'm ashamed of AerClub. We can talk away here but AerClub doesn't even answer emails! And that's an entrenched policy. I'm Irish and I work in the US and have had very long experience with Aer Lingus. Even after 30 years, I like traveling with Aer Lingus and it would be my preference. But I'm more and more interested in British Airways Executive Club because of how they are handling this transition. In the second year of the pandemic, AerClub extended members' status as we hadn't been able to fly frequently or at all. I really appreciated that. My feeling is that AerCLub has just botched this transition and hasn't thought it through. I know we see their performance very differently. I think there's been a huge breach of trust (changing the rules after the sale). I feel we are a privileged lot and this is not a complaint I necessarily would like to bring to Joe Duffy or the Irish Times, I'm glad to be able to write here though. I think what AerClub is doing is reprehensible.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:14 am

I can see your point huruburu. I would also have liked a longer transition period/more advance notice, a month really isn’t enough. And yes, replies to emails are woefully lacking which really isn’t good enough for an international airline. I was aiming for platinum before September which would have given me status until Oct 2025, then a soft landing to silver until Oct 2026. I have a day trip to Dublin next week which will hopefully get me bounced up to platinum from April 2024 then silver until April 2026 - so in theory I will lose 6 months, but it is what it is. Realistically, given that they are using the retrospective from April 2023, I’m (hopefully) reaching platinum much more easily than I would have otherwise. Whichever way they did it some people would lose out.

I’m also in BAEC and this is the first time ever I’ve had any status with any airline. I rather like Aer Lingus. It is so much more convenient for me to travel through Dublin rather than having to get to Heathrow. It’s less crowded, and I’ve always found staff to be really helpful, so I’ll be sticking with them 🙂
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:59 am

I like your balanced, granular attitude, gjc31. If you think about it, tier credits are an asset, acquired according to stated rules. AerClub is stripping members of those assets. It won't matter to some members. It will matter significantly to others. In a program managed according to an annual calendar, there's a world of difference between a month and a year. The Aer Lingus crew and staff with whom I have interacted in person are usually excellent! The phone service is okay if you can tolerate long wait times. The email communication is next to non-existent. When something goes wrong with a flight, support on the ground and compensation can also be non-existent. It seems as if the various departments in Aer Lingus are divided from one another. AerClub is a prime example of this. It's also divided from its members and literally doesn't seem to think, respond, or communicate effectively. In a loyalty program, that's bad. And suddenly and clumsily changing the goal-posts to the detriment of members (any or many) makes it disreputable. I guess the Better Business Bureau might be a somewhere to consult if it still exists! Hmm it's North American! Well, maybe the Ombudsman! Nope, that's not for airline complaints. There is an Aer Lingus Complaints Action Group with 9.4K members on Facebook. I think I'll drop in there and maybe at least learn where to make a formal complaint.

Last edited by huruburu; Mar 7, 2024 at 2:06 am
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
​​​

I also agree with the others on here, I'd take the plunge. As I mentioned up thread, I've taken flights to get me over the line before. Never regretted it!
​​​​​
Thanks! I'm new to the forum but I saw your calculations above reckoning that approx. 947 on the countback would tip the balance. I'm most likely going to book a day trip somewhere with a Plus x2 to take me up to 965 or thereabouts. Can I ask how you are basing the calculations?

If not comfortable sharing, no problem and thanks again for the insight!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:59 am
soy

Programs: various
I like your balanced, granular attitude, gjc31. If you think about it, tier credits are an asset, acquired according to stated rules. AerClub is stripping members of those assets. It won't matter to some members. It will matter significantly to others. In a program managed according to an annual calendar, there's a world of difference between a month and a year. The Aer Lingus crew and staff with whom I have interacted in person are usually excellent! The phone service is okay if you can tolerate long wait times. The email communication is next to non-existent. When something goes wrong with a flight, support on the ground and compensation can also be non-existent. It seems as if the various departments in Aer Lingus are divided from one another. AerClub is a prime example of this. It's also divided from its members and literally doesn't seem to think, respond, or communicate effectively. In a loyalty program, that's bad. And suddenly and clumsily changing the goal-posts to the detriment of members (any or many) makes it disreputable. I guess the Better Business Bureau might be a somewhere to consult if it still exists! Hmm it's North American! Well, maybe the Ombudsman! Nope, that's not for airline complaints. There is an Aer Lingus Complaints Action Group with 9.4K members on Facebook. I think I'll drop in there and maybe at least learn where to make a formal complaint.
Where you are going wrong is with the idea that EI leadership actually cares about the loyalty program. They don't and never have. I think BA leadership have a very different attitude towards BAEC.
That said EI profits were up in the recent results, so in their mind (and IAG's), its all going great
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
That forum is full of people who fly a couple of
times a year and have hardly any idea how air travel operates. I try and pitch in to help people and then you get abuse when the information doesn’t help them.

There’s nothing there to help. This forum is far more informative
DELLAS likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:34 am

Thanks Soy. Unfortunately I am well aware of the sorry situation. Yes, you're right about the profits, I believe.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:35 am

Thanks for the warning, alserire. It's good to get an endorsement for this forum.
alserire likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ITA Club Executive, Mucci
Originally Posted by Rowley_Birkin_QC
Thanks! I'm new to the forum but I saw your calculations above reckoning that approx. 947 on the countback would tip the balance. I'm most likely going to book a day trip somewhere with a Plus x2 to take me up to 965 or thereabouts. Can I ask how you are basing the calculations? If not comfortable sharing, no problem and thanks again for the insight!
Welcome to FlyerTalk - there are a few new people who seem to have joined as a result of the changes. Hopefully you stick around and drop in from time to time if you have a question or even better, if you can answer one! It really is the brain trust here, with some great knowledge from the members. I've learned a lot of the granular detail on the programme from this site. I would expect that booking will do you well!

Originally Posted by soy
Where you are going wrong is with the idea that EI leadership actually cares about the loyalty program. They don't and never have. I think BA leadership have a very different attitude towards BAEC.
If EI leadership didn't care about the programme, they'd remove it and redeploy the staff and save any overhead. That's business 101. Since the harmonisation is going on and it's all on one IT platform, it sounds to me like IAG certainly value it, and I'd say whatever they value, the owned airlines must value too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.