Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Changes to your Qualification Period

Changes to your Qualification Period

Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:17 am

So at the outset Aer Lingus said no one would be worse off after the change well I certainly am I received 1300 TCs over the look back period 1st April 23 to 31st March 24 750 of these TCs were earned between 1st October 23 (my previous anniversary date) and 31st March 24 I was on course to achieve 1051 TCs by the end of April with the advantage fares I had booked for April (now all changed) a full 5 months early based on my old anniversary date so in effect I’m losing 6 months Conceirge status I’m not concerned with upgrades as I don’t fly to the states and I’ve never bothered with companion tickets the only way I would not have been penalised by this process is to have my Conceirge status extended to 31st March 2026.Aer Lingus have short changed me no doubt about it.
Teplane and gjc31 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:20 am

Programs: EI Concierge, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by firestarter197
Teplane sven60035 Thanks for sharing. While one could certainly question whether the communication has been sufficiently personalized to everyone's individual predicament (e.g. given some ambiguity in the way the communication reads in sven's case for example), it wouldn't be wise imo to speculate further at this stage.
The most reliable source of truth (for me at least) is if EI agents can see on their side new concierge vouchers applied to one's account or not. This is the confirmation I would be looking to receive in the coming days either on the Concierge line or - even better - in written form from concierge@.
Agreed, it's still not clear. I called the Concierge desk again today and they told me the opposite to what they told me yesterday. My existing coupons have been extended to March '25, but there are no new coupons. He said any questions needed to be directed to the Concierge email as the Concierge desk only uses the coupons and has no role in the issuing of them. He also said he does not know what the rules are for reissuing new coupons under the loopback. He also said they are not finsihed issuing and reissuing coupons yet and won't be until tomorrow, but has nothing to indicate that I will get more coupons.

Honestly, a total shambles from Aer Lingus from beginning to end. Even if the issue me the new coupons, nothing will take away the awful taste of how badly they've run this process - from the FAQs that didn't really answer any of the questions, to the Concierge email sending PFOs to anyone who sought clarification, to this point where today even after the process is supposed to complete, the agents clearly not being made aware of how any of this is supposed to work. Add to that the number of people on this thread the last 24 hours with stories of being kicked to the kerb for being a few TCs short or needing another month. Appalling behaviour by EI and definitely is making me consider switching to BA where I could easily make Gold thanks to the reciprocal TC's arrangement.
RMDrive, alserire and mailliW like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:18 am

Got the email too does not really cause any issues for me personally . I have booked my next tranche of flights on BA CE . At 50 TPs a piece and 40-60 cheaper compared to Aerspace things are looking up
alserire, Teplane and Pete_23567 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:38 am

Programs: EI Platinum, BA, AA, EK, AY, QR
31 March 2025 is the correct expiry date for your Platinum status. Two mechanisms at play here:
1) Your Silver status was extended to 31 March 2026 on the basis that your original Silver expiry date exceeded 31 March 2025. This is irrespective of the look-back TC review.
2) As per the official communication, a TC review is performed over the period 1 April '23 - 31 Mar '24 and - as per the outcome of the TC review - you have been awarded Platinum status. This new status is aligned to the new standardized qualification period, which runs until 31 March 2025 - hence the expiry of your Platinum status.

Separate to the above and just out of curiosity, what was the sum of your TCs over the period 1 April '23 - 31 Mar '24? Did it exceed 601+?
In the same boat. My TP total for 1 Apr 23 to 31 Mar 24 was actually exactly 600 TP. So I got the bump that FlightDetective was flagging.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Teplane
Agreed, it's still not clear. I called the Concierge desk again today and they told me the opposite to what they told me yesterday. My existing coupons have been extended to March '25, but there are no new coupons. He said any questions needed to be directed to the Concierge email as the Concierge desk only uses the coupons and has no role in the issuing of them. He also said he does not know what the rules are for reissuing new coupons under the loopback. He also said they are not finsihed issuing and reissuing coupons yet and won't be until tomorrow, but has nothing to indicate that I will get more coupons.

Honestly, a total shambles from Aer Lingus from beginning to end. Even if the issue me the new coupons, nothing will take away the awful taste of how badly they've run this process - from the FAQs that didn't really answer any of the questions, to the Concierge email sending PFOs to anyone who sought clarification, to this point where today even after the process is supposed to complete, the agents clearly not being made aware of how any of this is supposed to work. Add to that the number of people on this thread the last 24 hours with stories of being kicked to the kerb for being a few TCs short or needing another month. Appalling behaviour by EI and definitely is making me consider switching to BA where I could easily make Gold thanks to the reciprocal TC's arrangement.
The dedicated Conceirge help desk is a joke also,prior to covid they were great they were all direct aer lingus staff and you could build up a relationship with them since covid it was hit and miss getting through to the Dublin team and you would often get re directed to the general aer lingus help desk the last year or so nobody in the Dublin based Aerclub team are contactable by phone the call centre staff that answer up until a few weeks ago werent even aware you were calling the dedicated help desk its only recently they answer as Conceirge help desk but they are clearly not trained and up to speed which is not their fault.Aer lingus have seriously pissed me off since this shambles of the new qualification period was set in motion.
DELLAS, trustno1 and Teplane like this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by redpat32
The dedicated Conceirge help desk is a joke also,prior to covid they were great they were all direct aer lingus staff and you could build up a relationship with them since covid it was hit and miss getting through to the Dublin team and you would often get re directed to the general aer lingus help desk the last year or so nobody in the Dublin based Aerclub team are contactable by phone the call centre staff that answer up until a few weeks ago werent even aware you were calling the dedicated help desk its only recently they answer as Conceirge help desk but they are clearly not trained and up to speed which is not their fault.Aer lingus have seriously pissed me off since this shambles of the new qualification period was set in motion.
They need to bring back a small dedicated Irish team based in Ireland for their top tier members. The Bulgarians are ok for run of the mill text book issues but anything more complex its quite frustrating . A few of the original Irish based staff still reply to emails but being able to call up and explain would be preferred for more complex issues.
alserire and Pete_23567 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:39 pm

Since I got no new benefits added to my account I'm taking it a step further. They threw away my saved tier credits and I think it's unfair I don't get added upgrade vouchers but just an extension of my tier.

Dear AerClub Support Team,

I am writing to formally express my concerns and to file a complaint regarding the recent changes to the AerClub Qualification Period, specifically related to how these changes have adversely impacted my member benefits, contrary to the expectations set forth by the AerClub Terms and Conditions. My AerClub Membership Number is: x

As a loyal Concierge Tier member of AerClub, I have been adversely affected by the new standardised Qualification Period that commenced on April 1, 2024. This adjustment not only led to a reset of my Tier Credits but also impacted the accrual and potential benefits I could have expected under the previous system. The extension of my current Tier status and benefits until March 31, 2025, as communicated, does not compensate for the loss of opportunity to earn further benefits under the previously accrued credits.

Under the Consumer Rights Directive (2011/83/EU) as transposed into Irish law, particularly through the Consumer Protection Act 2007 and Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, consumers are protected against unfair terms in a contract and changes to these terms which may cause a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

I believe the lack of adequate notice and the unilateral changes that affect my accrued benefits constitute an unfair practice. I kindly request again a review of my account adjustments made in light of this new Qualification Period and ask for a detailed explanation of why these changes were deemed necessary and how they align with the terms and conditions agreed upon at the time of my membership enrollment and renewal.

Furthermore, I seek reassurance that my feedback will be taken into consideration to prevent such disruptions in the future and request that appropriate adjustments be made to my account to truly reflect the loyalty and continued patronage I have shown towards Aer Lingus.

Please consider this email as an initiation of a formal dispute, and I would appreciate a response within the statutory timeframe of 14 business days. Should this matter not be resolved to my satisfaction, I may feel compelled to escalate this complaint to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) for further investigation.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt and positive response.

Kind regards,
Old Apr 15, 2024, 7:03 pm

Programs: ba exec gold, EI Concierge
Please keep us up to date with what happens or doesn't happen. I have had a series of emails of the past few days with the usual canned cut and paste replies and it reminds me somewhat of the Eir fiasco which came to light earlier today in which there is a playbook of obfuscation and dishonest treatment of loyal members.
In my opinion, there was actually a very simple solution here which would have been essentially cost neutral for AerClub and I feel it would have kept their constant concierge tier earners happy. The should simply have brought forward a prorata number of tier credits into the new realigned year based on your previous anniversary date.

Let me give an example:
In most cases, especially for Gold Circle members, the tier year ended in late November, So if someone earned say 900 points between Nov 23 and March 24, they should have 2/3 of their points brought forward as they essentially have had an extra third of a year added and it gives them an additional 4 months within which they can earn back these points. It gives the customer an incentive to stay loyal albeit it stings slightly but at least it has some semblance of equity.

To finish, I enclose the line from the reply I got from Aerclub after I first voiced my concerns on March 1st.
Aerclub is hoping that we will all just go away after their grossly unfair Oppenheimer solution. Shame on them truthfully.

Dear Mr. xxx,Thank you for contacting AerClub.

We understand that there may be concerns regarding the new qualification period; however, please rest assured this change won't have a negative effect on your account.
Teplane likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Beleir
Since I got no new benefits added to my account I'm taking it a step further. They threw away my saved tier credits and I think it's unfair I don't get added upgrade vouchers but just an extension of my tier.

Dear AerClub Support Team,

I am writing to formally express my concerns and to file a complaint regarding the recent changes to the AerClub Qualification Period, specifically related to how these changes have adversely impacted my member benefits, contrary to the expectations set forth by the AerClub Terms and Conditions. My AerClub Membership Number is: x

As a loyal Concierge Tier member of AerClub, I have been adversely affected by the new standardised Qualification Period that commenced on April 1, 2024. This adjustment not only led to a reset of my Tier Credits but also impacted the accrual and potential benefits I could have expected under the previous system. The extension of my current Tier status and benefits until March 31, 2025, as communicated, does not compensate for the loss of opportunity to earn further benefits under the previously accrued credits.

Under the Consumer Rights Directive (2011/83/EU) as transposed into Irish law, particularly through the Consumer Protection Act 2007 and Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, consumers are protected against unfair terms in a contract and changes to these terms which may cause a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer.

I believe the lack of adequate notice and the unilateral changes that affect my accrued benefits constitute an unfair practice. I kindly request again a review of my account adjustments made in light of this new Qualification Period and ask for a detailed explanation of why these changes were deemed necessary and how they align with the terms and conditions agreed upon at the time of my membership enrollment and renewal.

Furthermore, I seek reassurance that my feedback will be taken into consideration to prevent such disruptions in the future and request that appropriate adjustments be made to my account to truly reflect the loyalty and continued patronage I have shown towards Aer Lingus.

Please consider this email as an initiation of a formal dispute, and I would appreciate a response within the statutory timeframe of 14 business days. Should this matter not be resolved to my satisfaction, I may feel compelled to escalate this complaint to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) for further investigation.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt and positive response.

Kind regards,
Fantastic email it really ratches up the pressure on them I emailed them on Thursday and still haven't had a response 3 working days later they really are taking the piss out of Concierge members who have lost out big time by this change I am going to piggy back on your response with a version if my own thanks for your post.
Teplane likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
I think the real case is BA has been a lot more upfront with its transition plan

Irish consumer being treated less favourably due lack of competition/alternatives ??
Teplane likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:25 pm

I too think Beleir's letter is great and I wrote a similar letter to AerClub in March. It's not just Concierge members who have been hit but also any member close to moving up a tier months before their anniversary date. For example, i was due to move up a tier in May, 6 months ahead of my anniversary date in late November. The AerClub managers effectively robbed me of 6 extra months at the new status. Even worse, they trashed my planning for what they advertised as my anniversary year November 2023-November 2024. No respect. Love AerClub. (Never let it be forgotten). British Airways gave members more than a full year to make their plans according to the new rules. AerClub managers gave one month's notice. Some members here actually praised the approach of AerClub managers, which cost members time, money, loss of status, loss of time in new status, etc. Beleir's letter gives me a new burst of energy. Maybe like redpat32 I'll send another letter, a version of Beleir's and also write to the CCPC. The form letter response to my messages to AerClub included "please be advised that it is within our terms and conditions that we reserve the right at all times to make any changes to the AerClub Terms and Conditions, and in this case we have chosen to change the qualification period dates for all members." Such arrogance. Meanwhile the Aer Lingus website and my AerClub account continued to advertise the "old rules" right up to April 1.
Teplane likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:32 pm

Ah fair enough, not sure why I had 10th stuck in my head - but yeah let's give them some leeway in any case
I believe it stuck in your head because that's the date AerClub managers originally gave. They just changed the goalposts again without warning or consideration.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 4:06 am

Dear

Thank you for your recent email.

We let you know a few weeks ago that we were changing the Qualification Period start date for all AerClub members to 1st April. As promised at that time, we have reviewed your account and based on your last twelve months flying with us, we're delighted to say we have extended your Concierge Tier membership to 31st March 2025 and additionally awarded a full range of new Concierge benefits to your account for you to enjoy.

To maintain your Concierge Tier beyond 31st March 2025 you will need to earn 1051 Tier Credits before the Qualification Period ending 31st March 2026.

These changes will not impact your Avios balance, and you can continue to collect and spend Avios with Aer Lingus and our AerClub partners as normal. We have also made it easier to spend Avios on Reward Flights using aerlingus.com.

I understand the changes we have made to the programme may have caused some uncertainty and confusion, but I can assure you we are striving to make our programme work for you in a more efficient way. We have introduced new ways to earn tier status with the awarding of Tier Credits along with Avios for eligible flights flown from the 1st of April 2024 with our AerClub partner airline British Airways and we will continue to expand different ways to earn Tier Credits in the future.

I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Kind Regards,

AerClub Support Team

Another Copy and paste reply after me spending quite alot of time composing emails outlining my issues its looks like they are not even reading them as they are not answering any questions i pose in my emails they are obviously hoping we will just go away and suck it up.

Last edited by redpat32; Apr 17, 2024 at 8:46 am
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: ba exec gold, EI Concierge
Patrick,
Have a little hope in the following line from your email.
I received similar this morning.

we have extended your Concierge Tier membership to 31st March 2025 and additionally awarded a full range of new Concierge benefits to your account for you to enjoy’
This differs from the emails sent by concierge last week which said
we're delighted to say we have extended your Concierge Tier membership and any remaining unused benefits to 31 March 2025. No additional benefits have been added to your account as part of this extension.

The plot thickens
Old Apr 17, 2024, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
"awarded a full range of new Concierge benefits to your account for you to enjoy." hmm does that mean 4 more vouchers? Ambiguous at best

"we will continue to expand different ways to earn Tier Credits in the future." Probably the most interesting piece in the response

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.