Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Changes to your Qualification Period

Changes to your Qualification Period

Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Most BA complaints are related to changes in the way re-qualification or soft landing happen now compared to what will be from next year,

However I believe the main difference in handling the change is that BA is changing rules for next year's game while EI is changing rules in the middle of the current game (for most members at least, except for those with qualification year already ending in March).
alserire, Teplane and huruburu like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 1:59 am

Programs: BA
Grace period

Hi,

does anyone know if there is a grace period or is it a hard cut off on 31 March? I have a flight on 8 April which should take me to 560 points and from comments earlier in this thread, should be enough for platinum if these could be allocated to year ended March 2023, but not sure if this is possible?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by dubflyer26
does anyone know if there is a grace period or is it a hard cut off on 31 March? I have a flight on 8 April which should take me to 560 points and from comments earlier in this thread, should be enough for platinum if these could be allocated to year ended March 2023, but not sure if this is possible?
It will be a hard cut off, the same as it would be usually, so the 8 April flights will credit to the new year.

See what happens after 10 April and if you're not moved up, ask for an exception to be made in your case. It won't hurt to ask, if it comes to that.
dubflyer26 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:38 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
I think Aer Lingus clearly has decided that those members who carefully plan their flights to barley make the minimum tier points for their level are not beneficial to them and rather want to reward genuine traveller that racks point up because they have to travel.

Those who wait until the final couple of weeks of their qualification period and then do a few tier points runs are not as important to them as those who travel regularly and qualify naturally.

That is my personal opinion but from the way they handle the cutoff and them looking for the past 12 month of travel it shows a bias towards those who travel naturally.
ROKNA likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
It will be a hard cut off, the same as it would be usually, so the 8 April flights will credit to the new year.

See what happens after 10 April and if you're not moved up, ask for an exception to be made in your case. It won't hurt to ask, if it comes to that.
I don't know if anything is worth the pain of asking AerClub for anything. I mean they don't answer, there is literally no human contact. My own strategy was to change my planned schedule, lose a week of a residency and pay extra for the change. This was better for me than the anxiety of waiting for a response from AerClub. Others may be made of sterner stuff!
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sven60035
I think Aer Lingus clearly has decided that those members who carefully plan their flights to barley make the minimum tier points for their level are not beneficial to them and rather want to reward genuine traveller that racks point up because they have to travel.

Those who wait until the final couple of weeks of their qualification period and then do a few tier points runs are not as important to them as those who travel regularly and qualify naturally.

That is my personal opinion but from the way they handle the cutoff and them looking for the past 12 month of travel it shows a bias towards those who travel naturally.
This

The hard facts are mileage runners are not the bread and butter business, consistent customers are what they want to reward. I have a consistent frequency of travel and travel even at those times when loads are light like Nov/Jan. This change doesn't impact me nor did the change from GC to AC back +8 years ago...

The elephant in the room how generous the AC program is at the basic Silver level with lounge access. You won't get that benefit what that little flying on any other airline.

We all want to see status earning on BA/IB etc, but thats a double edge sword as BA/IB folks will have lounge access in Dublin. No chance BA/IB will permit access to Sliver AC on their flights

So the reality is if you are Sliver or Green its not going to be pleasant going forward, but as Platinum or better things should get better
Old Mar 11, 2024, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
This
So the reality is if you are Sliver or Green its not going to be pleasant going forward, but as Platinum or better things should get better
Thanks for giving Green a mention, ROKNA. Green is the one tier which *doesn't* want status maintained. Any Green almost ready to regain or qualify for Silver in 2024 will have to start all over again on April 1, unless they can get it by March 31. And with all the counting and reviewing AerClub seems to intend to do before April 10, will promotions even be timely? But thanks for the more long-term forecast, even if it's not good.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:14 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
This

The hard facts are mileage runners are not the bread and butter business, consistent customers are what they want to reward. I have a consistent frequency of travel and travel even at those times when loads are light like Nov/Jan. This change doesn't impact me nor did the change from GC to AC back +8 years ago...

The elephant in the room how generous the AC program is at the basic Silver level with lounge access. You won't get that benefit what that little flying on any other airline.

We all want to see status earning on BA/IB etc, but thats a double edge sword as BA/IB folks will have lounge access in Dublin. No chance BA/IB will permit access to Sliver AC on their flights

Silver is very generous. In fact, to me, theres nearly no value in Platinum bar the one way upgrade and as I travel a lot alone and have no real interest in the US any more silver suits me just fine.

I made concierge this year on a bunch of cheap AerSpace and a self funded business trip to JFK. I got very lucky. Im extended out by four months and then Ill have two soft landings. I dont use BA/IB so that wont affect me. But if EI downgrade silver, taking out the lounge in particular, then Ill push for platinum. Should make it too. Travel about 12-15 returns a year. And Ill pay to get to 601. But 301 is just much easier.

At the moment with things as they stand Ill have silver without doing much at all from April 2025 to Mar 2026. Thats not bad.

Well see what happens then after that. .
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:44 am

Programs: AerLingus - Silver, United - ex-Silver, Emirates - ex-Silver
Hi there, hopefully an easy enough question here based on viewing the previous responses. Im currently at Silver and will have accrued (by Mar 31st) 580 tier points for the period April 1st 2023 to Mar 31st 2024. Do you think it would be wise to do a quick return flight to London before the end of the month or should I be ok with the anticipated grace period?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
I wouldn't trust anyone at this point, find 21 points if you really want Platinum i.e you will travel to the US in the next 12 months and can use the upgrade voucher or frequently travel with a partner/colleague and could do with the lounge access for a guest
soy and alserire like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by NancyDrew
Hi there, hopefully an easy enough question here based on viewing the previous responses. Im currently at Silver and will have accrued (by Mar 31st) 580 tier points for the period April 1st 2023 to Mar 31st 2024. Do you think it would be wise to do a quick return flight to London before the end of the month or should I be ok with the anticipated grace period?
You should be fine if you've calculated your 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 correctly.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:13 pm

I've just finalised work travel up to end of March and added a flight to Donegal for myself (always wanted to do it and a tier point run gives me an excuse) so that will take me to 1000 even between 1/4/23 - 31/04/24. Thanks for the guidance on here.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
I was due to hit the concierge number of tier points in May (4 months before my old expiry date). This is extremely frustrating if I get stuck on Platinum for another year, have contacted the Concierge desk but expect to be told where to go.

Would be interesting to hear any experiences of EI giving flexibility here.

EDIT: I just spoke to someone in AerClub and they advised that Ill move up to Concierge as expected in MayI dont know if thats correct? I had thought that wed be reset to zero at the end of this month and then EI would take a view on people moving up a tier?

Last edited by ferg01; Mar 20, 2024 at 8:40 am
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ferg01
I was due to hit the concierge number of tier points in May (4 months before my old expiry date). This is extremely frustrating if I get stuck on Platinum for another year, have contacted the Concierge desk but expect to be told where to go.

Would be interesting to hear any experiences of EI giving flexibility here.

EDIT: I just spoke to someone in AerClub and they advised that Ill move up to Concierge as expected in MayI dont know if thats correct? I had thought that wed be reset to zero at the end of this month and then EI would take a view on people moving up a tier?
How many points short will you be?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus
Originally Posted by limbosongs
How many points short will you be?
60 so Ive bitten the bullet and got a return to LHR. Im annoyed at myself for giving in as much as Im annoyed with EI 🤦🏻‍♂️My Concierge qualifying flight will be on the 27thso much for moving to KLM when I came back to Cork!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.