Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Aegean Airlines catering thread share your inflight food pictures here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Please post all images of A3's food and beverage offerings in both Economy and Business Class, both domestic and international routes.

A posting hint:
The maximum image resolution that FT can cope with is 800 x 600. Posting images beyond this limit pushes them beyond the page margins, making the visual appearance of the thread disjointed and very difficult for everyone to read.

There are on-line tools for most image storage sites which provide alternative links for reduced sized images - please use these prior to posting to reduce work in having to request users edit their posts. Thanks.

NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles & Bonus
Print Wikipost

Aegean Airlines catering thread share your inflight food pictures here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Slightly unrelated to this thread (and I may have asked it last year, when I last flew A3 ): if I don't eat beef (or, in the case of my traveling companion, meat that isn't fish), can I gamble on at least one of the mains being something that's non-beef-containing/pescetarian, or are we doomed to special meals?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:03 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Every now and then one of the mains will be fish; but often both contain some form of meat - Chicken and Beef are common. If you want to be sure I'd advise ordering the seafood option beforehand. Only exception would be during fasting as meat is strictly forbidden at that time.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 7, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
What are the drink selections in Y like? The magazine always seems to show the wines that are available onboard in J or in the lounges, and off the top of my head, J drinks over the last few years haven't seen much (if any) changes. Still, I've always wondered what they have in the back.

Originally Posted by Xandrios

Are people on here still interested in these food pics, as lately this thread has not been very active?
Please keep posting! ^
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, A3 Miles and Bonus Gold
Every now and then one of the mains will be fish; but often both contain some form of meat - Chicken and Beef are common. If you want to be sure I'd advise ordering the seafood option beforehand. Only exception would be during fasting as meat is strictly forbidden at that time.
Is anything really strictly forbidden during fasting periods in Greece? Whoever chooses to follow the fasting periods (during Advent and Lent) can do so, but in my opinion relatively few strictly follow it. Some restos try to be trendy by offering a “fasting” menu, but meat/dairy/ovo is available everywhere... and the idea of a fasting menu partially defeats the purpose of fasting (I realise I’m heading into OT territory here). Aegean seem to follow that trend (back on topic!) in their J class menus during Lent/Advent which is really a pity for those of us who detest halva. I’m wondering why Aegean don’t just offer that menu as a religious meal request for those who choose to participate?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tennen
What are the drink selections in Y like? The magazine always seems to show the wines that are available onboard in J or in the lounges, and off the top of my head, J drinks over the last few years haven't seen much (if any) changes. Still, I've always wondered what they have in the back.
Beer, white or red wine is certainly served at the back in Y, but I'm not sure if they serve it on shorter flights (i.e. VIE-ATH) because I did ask once and was given an odd look! I don't think they serve spirits.

They serve wine in glass bottles too! ^
Attached Images  
Tennen likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:09 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Full of hot air
Is anything really strictly forbidden during fasting periods in Greece? Whoever chooses to follow the fasting periods (during Advent and Lent) can do so, but in my opinion relatively few strictly follow it. Some restos try to be trendy by offering a “fasting” menu, but meat/dairy/ovo is available everywhere... and the idea of a fasting menu partially defeats the purpose of fasting (I realise I’m heading into OT territory here). Aegean seem to follow that trend (back on topic!) in their J class menus during Lent/Advent which is really a pity for those of us who detest halva. I’m wondering why Aegean don’t just offer that menu as a religious meal request for those who choose to participate?
Mmmhh could someone please explain more about this ? Is there a restricted service in December ? I have a return in J the first weekend of December, one evening flight and one morning flight. Will there be a reduced menu ?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Full of hot air
I don't pretend to know too much about this - as I'm not following the orthodox traditions that closely either. However living in rural Greece nowadays I can tell you that a large part of the population *does* fast, especially the older generation. Not everyone will fast all the days, but the week leading up to Easter there are very few (young and old!) who do not fast. At least here where I live that is the case, perhaps in the larger cities things are a bit more relaxed.

My theory is that Aegean does not want to offend the people that do fast. Most people are religious, and while not everyone will actually fast - many will not admit to that in public. So if Aegean would offer the normal meal by default, many people will be forced to not eat anything - either because they are fasting or to save face. While personally I like the idea to make it a special meal, I don't think too many people will realize that they can actually order a special meal..it may also be expensive/a hassle for Aegean to organize so many special meals.

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Mmmhh could someone please explain more about this ? Is there a restricted service in December ? I have a return in J the first weekend of December, one evening flight and one morning flight. Will there be a reduced menu ?
I don't expect that you will have problems. Those days even the most strict schedule still allows for fish. Therefore I would expect one of the options probably to include fish..but the other probably meat as well. Officially dairy and eggs are not allowed either, but I cannot imagine Aegean to be so strict, so far ahead of Christmas. Full schedule here.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 14, 2017 at 4:54 am
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I don't pretend to know too much about this - as I'm not following the orthodox traditions that closely either. However living in rural Greece nowadays I can tell you that a large part of the population *does* fast, especially the older generation. Not everyone will fast all the days, but the week leading up to Easter there are very few (young and old!) who do not fast. At least here where I live that is the case, perhaps in the larger cities things are a bit more relaxed.

My theory is that Aegean does not want to offend the people that do fast. Most people are religious, and while not everyone will actually fast - many will not admit to that in public. So if Aegean would offer the normal meal by default, many people will be forced to not eat anything - either because they are fasting or to save face. While personally I like the idea to make it a special meal, I don't think too many people will realize that they can actually order a special meal..it may also be expensive/a hassle for Aegean to organize so many special meals.

I don't expect that you will have problems. Those days even the most strict schedule still allows for fish. Therefore I would expect one of the options probably to include fish..but the other probably meat as well. Officially dairy and eggs are not allowed either, but I cannot imagine Aegean to be so strict, so far ahead of Christmas. Full schedule here.
Thanks for the link very useful ^
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:49 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Thanks Xandrios
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
When I flew LHR-LCA on the day prior to Good Friday, Aegean mentioned in their announcement that the meal would be suitable for those who were following the fasting. Not knowing much of the Orthodox traditions I didn't know what exactly it meant, and I had a special meal anyway so didn't pay much attention.

I also remember getting some sort of cinnamon flavoured bun on the return flight LCA-LHR on Easter Monday which I hadn't experienced on any other Aegean flights before or since.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:38 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Well if the catering is not diminished but actually includes some specialties this is better.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Well if the catering is not diminished but actually includes some specialties this is better.
There are "different kinds" of fasting in Greece!

* strict: essentially vegan, but also forbidding olive oil.
* less strict: No meat, eggs, dairy products and fish, but other sea food is allowed. Olive oil is usually eaten.
* fake fasting: No meat, everything else goes.

Obviously, as these are not "official" rules, so you can find everything in between.

Also, different fasting periods:

* Fridays: Hardly anybody keeps that.
* 15 days before 15 August: very few people keep it.
* 40 days before X'mas: A few more keep it, less strict till St. Eleftherios (Dec 15), strict after that.
* 40 days before Easter plus the week before it: Many people keep the rules from strict to less strict, last week is very strict until and including Good Friday.

Sick people and travelers* are officially excluded from fasting by the church. I belong to the ones who never keep a church-mandated fasting but I don't mind eating the food if served by others or in restaurants. There are some excellent recipes, and come to think of it, I'll go up and cook λαχανόρυζο (cabbage risotto) for lunch

Bottom line, hardly any non-orthodox notices that (s)he is fasting when flying A3 during a fasting period.

* travelers: all of them not only Frequent Travelers!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
A3-881 VIE-ATH 16.11.17 Economy pasta with spinach. So it seems that they do serve wine on the shorter flights.

Argyris likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:47 am

A3-7216 ATH-RHO 16.11.17 Economy There was a choice of the mini-crackers or a sweet filled croissant

Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:03 am

A3-7205 RHO-ATH 19.11.17 Business
Just a snack on the domestic flight, I did miss the lemon and ice in my gin & tonic though. Although it's a short hop, they still managed to make me an expresso coffee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.