Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:16 pm

28,600 MP miles expired: re-instate or not?

Hi,

My 28,600 Mileage Plus miles expired on Jan 1, 2017 without my knowledge, as in the last year, I didn't take a single Star Alliance flight because they turned out far more expensive than other airlines.

Now, UA wants $150 to re-instate the 28,600 miles. Is it worth it?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nevillek
Hi,

My 28,600 Mileage Plus miles expired on Jan 1, 2017 without my knowledge, as in the last year, I didn't take a single Star Alliance flight because they turned out far more expensive than other airlines.

Only you can decide that http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2015-a.html
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... My 28,600 Mileage Plus miles expired on Jan 1, 2017 without my knowledge, as in the last year, I didn't take a single Star Alliance flight because they turned out far more expensive than other airlines. ...
So it has been roughly 2 years on no activity. When would you expect to use the miles?
Your miles could purchase a single domestic RT, what is that worth to you?

What else might you do with the miles?

Re-instatement needs to be done within 18 months of expiration, so no immediate decision is needed.

Note -- there are some potential cheaper ($100) approaches detailed in this thread's wiki (if you are eligible).
Old May 15, 2017, 3:03 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Any recent reports of UA being less Scrooge-sh and offering better deals to renew miles?
Old May 15, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Any recent reports of UA being less Scrooge-sh and offering better deals to renew miles?
To United, someone wanting to re-instate miles means someone is probably going to use those miles. The obvious implication is United sees the miles as being worth something to you and therefore is going to charge you for them.

With the new mileage earning schemes, and depending on your status and the types of tickets you generally buy, the miles you're buying back may be currently harder to accumulate. Don't look for UA to give a discount on miles that were easier to earn back in the day.

It's incredibly easy to avoid losing them in the first place...
Old May 15, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are two options list in the thread's wiki (purchase a flight +$100 or get a credit card +$100) that are better (if still available) than the standard online fee.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Hey guys, I found I had some UA miles expired 2 weeks ago.
So I followed the advice in the Wiki and dug through my old flights from last year.

Turns out there was a Brussels Air flight that accrued 0 miles on A3, but does get miles on UA. I filed and it immediately got approved by the system and was credited to my account.

However the expired miles are still not reinstated.
Do I have to call for this, or does it automatically reflect after a while?

Thanks so much for the help guys! Really hate that UA pulled the awardwallet support!

--------

Ok called in and the agent said 7- 10 working days to auto reflect. Could be quicker but no way to expedite it

Last edited by lsed; May 17, 2017 at 11:20 am
Old May 30, 2017, 11:11 am

Expired Miles

Hey guys long time eh. Anyway, 2 questions please.

1) No way to get expired miles (32,000 on 01.01.17) reinstated for free?

2) Got an email from UA saying, "Register and fly - Register for $100 and then complete qualifying round-trip travel on United or United Express. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable and a maximum of 750,000 miles can be reinstated with this option. Please call the MileagePlus Service Center to participate in this offer."

Called and was told that ONLY I can pay and ONLY I can use the ticket. This just cannot be true! Does not make business or common sense. If I purchase the ticket and use my MileagePlus number to reinstate my miles and get the added miles for the flight, why would UA care who flies? They got the money. I can throw the ticket away if I choose or put it in someone else's name since I paid for it. What is the truth?

Thanks,
Robert
Old May 30, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Roberteyewhy
...1) No way to get expired miles (32,000 on 01.01.17) reinstated for free? ...
Find a uncreditted flight / hotel stay / car rental within the last 18 months and before the expiration.

Once reinstated see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-thread.html

.... Called and was told that ONLY I can pay and ONLY I can use the ticket. This just cannot be true! Does not make business or common sense. If I purchase the ticket and use my MileagePlus number to reinstate my miles and get the added miles for the flight, why would UA care who flies? They got the money. I can throw the ticket away if I choose or put it in someone else's name since I paid for it. What is the truth? ....
UA makes the rules
Old May 30, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Called and was told that ONLY I can pay and ONLY I can use the ticket. This just cannot be true! Does not make business or common sense...
Uh - looks like 100% "common sense" to me. You want YOUR miles reinstated, so United wants YOU to pay and YOU to fly.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:51 pm

Thanks for the insights everyone. I know UA makes the rules but...

Hopefully, I will reinstate the miles by flying somewhere within 12 months.

Robert
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:10 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
"Qualifying flight"

Just wanted to know if there is any catch behind the "qualifying" flight to reinstate
--It doesn't matter which fare class?
--Would it matter if I used money from my United travel bank (I think that's what it's called)?
Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:16 pm

Just wanted to know if there is any catch behind the "qualifying" flight to reinstate
--It doesn't matter which fare class? ...
As long as a paid flight on UA/UX metal you probably will be OK but you should read the T&Cs provided with the promo.

... --Would it matter if I used money from my United travel bank (I think that's what it's called)? ....
No -- that is considered by UA the same as a "cash" payment.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:21 pm

From United to me:

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

I can certainly understand your disappointment when you found out your miles had expired. I know those who don’t travel often (or not at all) may find it more difficult to keep up with their account and apparently this was the situation in your case.
To ensure active participation in our program, we require that members have some kind of qualifying activity (miles in or out of the account) every 18 months. You can even track the expiration date of your miles online (next to your mileage balance) when signed into your account. The expiration date resets for another 18 months after any qualifying activity posts to your account.
If you had any qualifying flights prior to your expiration date (but within the last 12 months), that haven’t posted to your account, please visit www.united.com/retrocredit to request missing mileage credit. Your expired miles will reinstate automatically within 10 days after the miles have posted to your account. If you didn't have qualifying activity, here are some options to have your miles reinstated:
• Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online (www.united.com/transfermiles and click Reinstate expired miles). The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.
• Register and fly - Register for $100 and then complete qualifying round-trip travel on United or United Express. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable and a maximum of 750,000 miles can be reinstated with this option. Please call the MileagePlus Service Center to participate in this offer.
• Register and use a MileagePlus Visa credit card - Register for $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa credit card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable and a maximum of 750,000 miles may be reinstated with this option. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa credit card, please visit www.united.com/creditcard . Please call the MileagePlus Service Center to participate in this offer.

Robert
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:16 pm

I'm thinking about doing the "Register and fly" promo to reinstate my expired miles. Can the order of this be to buy the RT ticket, then apply for the promo, and then fly? Or does the order have to be apply for the promo, then buy the RT ticket, and then fly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.