Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:28 pm

Class-action waiting to happen

My wife just discovered that her 61K miles expired on 8/01 and we immediately called MP customer service. They were completely uncooperative and would not reinstate her miles, even though they expired just a few weeks ago. It seems that United has taken a stance of shifting responsibility of tracking miles completely to the consumer, even though they have the resources and tools to easily provide automatic expiration notifications. Even their monthly statements have changed over time where the miles expiration date is no longer displayed. I have a hard time locating expiration even when I log into the Mileage Plus account online, which I believe is deliberate. In contrast, Southwest is totally transparent when it comes to their frequent flyer program and they even provide you ample notification when your miles are about to expire. The way United chooses to treat they customers is disgraceful and really does a disservice to the term “loyalty program”. I bet there will be a class-action lawsuit in the near future, once enough customers get fed up with this deceitful practice.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nylodo
My wife just discovered that her 61K miles expired on 8/01 and we immediately called MP customer service. They were completely uncooperative and would not reinstate her miles, even though they expired just a few weeks ago. It seems that United has taken a stance of shifting responsibility of tracking miles completely to the consumer, even though they have the resources and tools to easily provide automatic expiration notifications. Even their monthly statements have changed over time where the miles expiration date is no longer displayed. I have a hard time locating expiration even when I log into the Mileage Plus account online, which I believe is deliberate. In contrast, Southwest is totally transparent when it comes to their frequent flyer program and they even provide you ample notification when your miles are about to expire. The way United chooses to treat they customers is disgraceful and really does a disservice to the term “loyalty program”. I bet there will be a class-action lawsuit in the near future, once enough customers get fed up with this deceitful practice.
When you log in the expiration date is right there under your Mileage Balance on the very first page you see when you log in.

Edit to add: I just got my monthly email statement. It has a button you click to go to your account. The expiration is right there on the page that shows your account info right next to you mileage balance.

It is very easy to see when your miles expire. They are not hiding anything.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nylodo
Sorry your wife's miles expired unexpectedly. I have a reminder in my calendar 60 and 30 days before my miles expire in programs I rarely use. In above wiki, your wife can register and fly.

• Register for $100
  • Complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United, United Express, Copa, including flights operated by Copa Airlines Colombia
  • You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date
  • Complete travel within 90 days of registration
  • The registration fee is non-refundable
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Just now I logged into my MileagePlus account and saw that I can reinstate 10,806 of them for a fee of $93.75. Alternatively, I could reinstate only 10,000 of them for $75.

So should I look at this as getting 10,806 miles @ 0.86 cmp ($93.75/10,806)?

Or should I see it as 10,000 miles @ 0.75 cpm plus 806 miles @ 2.32 cpm?

Since I can choose any number of miles to reinstate, I'm thinking that paying an extra $18.75 for only 806 extra miles seems ridiculous, but I don't know if I'm evaluating it correctly.
Just in case anyone is wondering - which I kinda doubt 😜 - I opted to restore only 10,000 miles as, rightly or wrongly, I couldn't get past feeling like I was paying $18.75 for the extra 806 miles.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:46 pm

Hello all.

I have 46,000 Miles which expired in February of 2015. I was in my second semester of law school and had no time to do anything.

Any way I can get these back?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!,wvtalbot
Originally Posted by wvtalbot
....I have 46,000 Miles which expired in February of 2015.
Any way I can get these back?
There are multiple ways to reinstated your miles IF the expiration was no more than 18 months ago. Feb 2015 may be just a bit outside that range.

If inside 18 months, find a unclaimed hotel or rental car credit prior to expiration and have credited to the account. Typically you can credit for up to a year in arrears.

Another option is to paid a $100 fee (believe that is the present fee) and take a new flight or get a credit card,

And finally there is a fee per mile to restore the miles.

The thread wiki (at the top of the thread has more details).

Given the time gap, you'll have to see if UA is willing to give an exception. The best you can do is to ask, understanding there is a high chance you will be told no.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm Reason: time gap
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: mileageplus
Thumbs up United Reinstate BuyBack

From what I can see, it looks like United dropped the buy back prices for Reinstate significantly from what it was before
https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/reinstate/
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:32 pm
YMA

Programs: United MileagePlus
FYI, I just spoke to a senior UA CSR regarding my case. She said that:

1. Courtesy miles reinstatements are only accepted for documented medical reasons or death of an immediate family member during the 18 months of inactivity. No other reason is accepted and such requests are automatically denied and basically a waste of everybody's time/energy.

2. The "Courtesy flight offer" program is still available whereby all the miles are reinstated if you pay $100 and make a roundtrip flight with UA/UAEx (but not with partner airlines!) within 90 days. Registering to this program can only be done over the phone with UA's CSRs (1-800-421-4655), it cannot be done online.

3. The only other alternative is to buy back the miles within 18 months of their expiry (link). This buy-back option, while pricy, is less pricy than up to a few weeks ago, and much less pricy than purchasing new miles. The CSR warned me that if I buy back some of my miles, the rest of the expired miles automatically evaporate - we cannot buy our expired miles back in multiple purchases.

I hope this helps others...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:27 pm

Cool United miles expiring

Last year my wife United miles expired ,I missed the date by 2 weeks,called United,asked if they notify anyone that their miles are expiring.The customer service said yes,no one notified my wife,no email or phone calls.I called American ailines,they notify you 12 months,6,mos,3 mos,and phone calls the last 3 mos.My wife got a United credit card with 30,000 miles for joining and a fee to United of $100.00.
She got back her lost 133,000 miles plus the bonus 30,000. Now my miles are expiring Feb 28,2017.I'm waiting to be notified by United,lots a luck,they didn't notify all these months so yesterday WE had a restaurant take out from UNited Dining which will cover me for another 18 months

CAN YOU IMAGIN ALL THE MILES THAT UNITED SAVED BY NOT NOTIFYING IT'S CUSTOMERS RE:EXPIRING MILES. WHAT A SHAME Years ago it was a class airline,now it's a sham of what it was
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just realized that I had 300k+ miles expire 2 days ago. I don't have any rental car trips that I can backdate (Avis isn't a partner). Cost to un-expire would be $600 per the United site.

Any other suggestions? Any hope of a grace period? I'm Silver by virtue of Marriott (Starwood) status but clearly haven't flown UA in a while (former 1k).
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wizzy
I just realized that I had 300k+ miles expire 2 days ago. I don't have any rental car trips that I can backdate (Avis isn't a partner). Cost to un-expire would be $600 per the United site.

Any other suggestions? Any hope of a grace period? ....
No grace period but some other options (when asked about) have been booking a flight or getting a credit card will retroactively restore miles, requires registration for a promo -- so you need to do this with an agent aware of the mileage expiration --- see wiki for more details.

Uncredited hotel stays is anther option if there is no uncredited car rental.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:37 pm

Are there any ways to reinstate your mileageplus miles without having to pay their outrageous reinstatement fee? I had 29k expire 3 days ago.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by chuckywang
Are there any ways to reinstate your mileageplus miles without having to pay their outrageous reinstatement fee? I had 29k expire 3 days ago.
The value of 29K is pretty limited but

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... some other options (when asked about) have been booking a flight or getting a credit card will retroactively restore miles, requires registration for a promo -- so you need to do this with an agent aware of the mileage expiration --- see wiki for more details.

Uncredited hotel stays is another option if there is no uncredited car rental.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The value of 29K is pretty limited but
How do you register? Is there a code or anything?

And it's not just 29k .. it's 29k plus whatever I can add from my Chase UR.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by chuckywang
How do you register? Is there a code or anything? ....
As stated in the wiki
To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center.
So, you have to talk to a MileagePlus Customer Support agent.

MileagePlus contact information
Email - Send a message to the MileagePlus Service Center.
Email MileagePlus

Phone
Hours: 7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week
Call from the U.S. or Canada 1-800-421-4655
or call the regular UA numbers and ask to be transfer to MPSC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.