Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Old Oct 17, 2015, 8:50 am
RNE

Originally Posted by [email protected]
A deceased family member had 61,000 UAL miles expire in October 2013. I have his account number and password, so for $400, I can get them reinstated. Is there any danger in waiting until 2016 to reinstate them? Also, how do I pay for them with my credit card in my name and not his? I don't want to trigger something with UAL.
Do not wait. Call United straightaway and explain the situation. Acknowledge you are late taking action. Don't mention $400 or any other amount. Don't be demanding, but don't be a pushover either. Simply ask what can be done and let the rep speak. Don't be afraid to ask to speak to a supervisor, but do so only as a last resort. Good luck.

RNE, sorry for your loss.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, US Air, Alaska
Purchased expired miles or call UAL to transfer to my account?

I have a deceased family member who had 64,498 UAL miles. They expired 10/1/2013. I want to use the miles, but am uncomfortable booking an award ticket in someone else's name (after I reinstate them). How much would UAL charge to have the expired miles transferred to my UAL account? Would it be a reinstatement fee + another fee for the transfer? Thank you.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 5:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have a deceased family member who had 64,498 UAL miles. They expired 10/1/2013. I want to use the miles, but am uncomfortable booking an award ticket in someone else's name (after I reinstate them). How much would UAL charge to have the expired miles transferred to my UAL account? Would it be a reinstatement fee + another fee for the transfer? Thank you.
You previously posted and will see answers just above this posts.

The formal policy is a bit fuzzy -- but for some cases UA will transfer the miles for a fee ($150?) -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ber-death.html (where you have a post in that thread also).

But the miles also being expired and expired 2 years ago (limit is normally 18 months) are going to present additional problems.

As mentioned earlier, you best bet is MP Service Center, act as if you have not idea of the rules and ask for their help. You might get lucky but there are multiple issues and standard policy isn't going to resolve your situation in a favorable manner.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I have a deceased family member who had 64,498 UAL miles. They expired 10/1/2013.
Just to be clear: on 10/1/2013, was it the miles that expired or your family member?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, US Air, Alaska
Miles expired.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:45 pm

How long does it take to get all your miles back on your account, after you've paid to reinstate?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by qdmd
How long does it take to get all your miles back on your account, after you've paid to reinstate?
This is what UA says
Allow 72 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, AMEX, CITI, CHASE, UA
does UA have any grace period beyond the 18 months? i missed it by 2.5 weeks, is it worthwhile calling numerous times, or should i just try a retroactive car rental (if i find one)
thanks
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Yes.
Bump ( Previous)

My wife's 160k just expired last month. Going to call and beg for mercy. Old rental receipt for national and avis, but they're no longer partners. Ouch!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by econjon
Bump ( Previous)

My wife's 160k just expired last month. Going to call and beg for mercy. Old rental receipt for national and avis, but they're no longer partners. Ouch!
please let us know what happened when u called!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by econjon
Bump ( Previous)

How about a hotel stay?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:04 pm

how about trying to send in someone else's hotel stay/ car rental receipt? are they really careful to make sure mileage plus # matches name on receipt? after all, you submit retroactive credit form to hotel/ rental company, not directly to the airline.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:30 pm

Anyone know how long after submitting a hertz receipt will the miles show up in united account? Can anyone please check
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by bgallthat1
Anyone know how long after submitting a hertz receipt will the miles show up in united account? Can anyone please check
Assuming you submitted to Hertz, it will take some time on their end and then it goes to UA. Never have done this but current Hertz rentals can take 2-3 weeks to post.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by elimmm
how about trying to send in someone else's hotel stay/ car rental receipt? are they really careful to make sure mileage plus # matches name on receipt? after all, you submit retroactive credit form to hotel/ rental company, not directly to the airline.
I think the way it works with most partners is that they submit the mileage award records electronically to the airlines, and each record includes the date, number of miles, the airline ff number, and the client name as it appeared in the partner reservation. It's up to the airline to decide whether they are going to check to make sure the name matches before considering it a valid mileage deposit, and if so, what they consider a match to be. I think it's very unlikely that the partner takes the ff number, somehow looks it up in the airline computer to find the passenger name, then compares that with their own reservation to decide if it's okay to credit that account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.