Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 26, 20, 12:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details


8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)


Print Wikipost

Old Apr 25, 14, 12:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 80
Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

My friend's miles (almost 40k) expired due to inactivity and he didn't know about the new rule. Is there a way to reclaim them?
degas is offline  
Old Apr 25, 14, 12:35 am
  #2  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,049
Originally Posted by degas View Post
My friend's miles (almost 40k) expired due to inactivity and he didn't know about the new rule. Is there a way to reclaim them?
yes (did these expire last Sept?)
1) Reinstatement Miles -- a fee approach

2) Find a missing posting (say rental car or hotel) within the past 12 months but before the mileage expiration -- this will reactivity the miles.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 226
Reinstate expired miles: good deal?

I know, I messed up. 40k miles expired. In my meager defense, I was living outside the US for several years and didn't realize there was an easy way to keep them active.

So now that I'm back and have dived head first into the mileage game, I see that I can reinstate my 40k miles for a mere $100. This seems like a great deal. Is there anything I'm missing here? Any reason not to do it?

I've got CSP and am enrolled in MileagePlus Dining so there's no risk of losing them again.

I'd also be curious to hear from anyone who has done this if the purchase codes as travel with Chase.
dboston1 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:22 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston / Philadelphia
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 276
Interesting, I never knew one could do this.

Can anyone confirm?
trini19 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,948
Originally Posted by dboston1 View Post
I know, I messed up. 40k miles expired. In my meager defense, I was living outside the US for several years and didn't realize there was an easy way to keep them active.

So now that I'm back and have dived head first into the mileage game, I see that I can reinstate my 40k miles for a mere $100. This seems like a great deal. Is there anything I'm missing here? Any reason not to do it?

I've got CSP and am enrolled in MileagePlus Dining so there's no risk of losing them again.

I'd also be curious to hear from anyone who has done this if the purchase codes as travel with Chase.
Seems worth it to me. You would have trouble finding a revenue ticket for less than $100, so however one values "per mile", I think this works out.
JBord is offline  
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:27 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,948
Originally Posted by trini19 View Post
Interesting, I never knew one could do this.

Can anyone confirm?
I've seen several reports of this when someone calls UA after their miles expire. Pretty sure its policy, not an exception.

But I wouldn't recommend testing it yourself, as paying to get your miles back is never a "good deal" .
JBord is offline  
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:31 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 226
Just to clarify, this can be done online through their website. It's definitely policy. Here is the pricing chart:

Pricing effective April 1, 2012
1-25,000 : $50
25,001-50,000 : $100
50,001-75,000 : $150
75,001-100,000 : $200
100,001-150,000 : $300
>150,000 : $400

http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles.jsp

Purchase up to the total amount that had expired (only miles expired in the last 18 months are eligible)
Credit card will be billed immediately for purchase
Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change
Miles are available up to the total amount that has expired
Allow 72 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account
Transaction is non-refundable
Miles do not count towards Premier status
Reactivation of only a portion of the expired miles will result in a forfeiture of the remaining expired miles
All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply
dboston1 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 14, 12:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,948
Originally Posted by dboston1 View Post
Just to clarify, this can be done online through their website. It's definitely policy. Here is the pricing chart:

Pricing effective April 1, 2012
1-25,000 : $50
25,001-50,000 : $100
50,001-75,000 : $150
75,001-100,000 : $200
100,001-150,000 : $300
>150,000 : $400

http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles.jsp

Purchase up to the total amount that had expired (only miles expired in the last 18 months are eligible)
Credit card will be billed immediately for purchase
Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change
Miles are available up to the total amount that has expired
Allow 72 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account
Transaction is non-refundable
Miles do not count towards Premier status
Reactivation of only a portion of the expired miles will result in a forfeiture of the remaining expired miles
All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply
Cool, didn't know this existed. Now we can wait for someone to suggest its better to let 1M miles expire so you get a lower cpm....
JBord is offline  
Old Aug 7, 14, 3:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston / Philadelphia
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by dboston1 View Post
Just to clarify, this can be done online through their website. It's definitely policy. Here is the pricing chart:

Pricing effective April 1, 2012
1-25,000 : $50
25,001-50,000 : $100
50,001-75,000 : $150
75,001-100,000 : $200
100,001-150,000 : $300
>150,000 : $400

http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles.jsp

Purchase up to the total amount that had expired (only miles expired in the last 18 months are eligible)
Credit card will be billed immediately for purchase
Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change
Miles are available up to the total amount that has expired
Allow 72 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account
Transaction is non-refundable
Miles do not count towards Premier status
Reactivation of only a portion of the expired miles will result in a forfeiture of the remaining expired miles
All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply
Thanks for this!
trini19 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 14, 3:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 226
Just to follow up, the miles posted about 24 hours after purchase. It was coded by Chase as
UAL*MILEAGEPLUS PROMO Legal & Professional
dboston1 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 14, 5:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IAD
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 547
That's half the price that AA charges. Another reason they get none of my business - they wanted $200 to reinstate 40,000 miles that expired without even a courtesy warning from them.
jgreen1024 is offline  
Old Aug 14, 14, 5:14 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Posts: 8,144
Maybe this is another thing they could copy delta at... miles that don't expire! then, the OP wouldn't have this problem
DL2SXM is offline  
Old Aug 27, 14, 3:57 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Posts: 1,634
expired mileage reinstatement period

One of my friend's UA MP miles expired due to inactivity. I recall that one can reinstate miles for a fee. I searched this forum and united.com for "mileage reinstatement" but couldn't find whether the deadline for reinstatement is 12 or 18 months. Does anyone recall the time period within which reinstatement can be requested? Thank you!
Totoro is offline  
Old Aug 27, 14, 4:02 pm
  #14  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,049
see http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles.jsp
Purchase up to the total amount that had expired (only miles expired in the last 18 months are eligible)
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 27, 14, 4:41 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Posts: 1,634
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Thank you for finding this. I should have searched for "miles" and "reinstatement" instead of "mileage reinstatement"
Totoro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: