Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:26 pm

Don't Trust them

Originally Posted by RNE
I used to set calendar reminders, but anymore I simply remember on my own. But you may not have the Krell brain I do.

Anyway, I want to add two thoughts.

• Don't establish this routine solely for MileagePlus; do so for all your loyalty programs.
  • Because some programs expire annually, I don't simply remember annually, I do so semiannually. It's safer.
Good advice but do you really trust someone that does this type of thuggery??? this is analogous to buying a TV from a legit store and they use your address to steal it and then sell it back to you in the Used TV section, but the owness is on me to guard the TV 24hours!! I will pass on doing business with those types!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vivrant
Ufhhh just saw that I had 16k miles expires at the end of March.
Woot, got very lucky and remembered I had a flight from Sept 2014 on Copa airlines. I was able to submit a missing mileage request and once they credited me for that flight, they automatically also reinstated my 16k expired miles.

Alls well that ends well ^
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:59 pm

Both Register and Fly and Register and use a MileagePlus card fees were increased to $500 from $200 on August 14, 2015.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:18 pm

Expired Miles buyback worth it?

I have 18,000 expired miles. They are asking $150 to re-instate my mies. Do you think these many miles are worth $150?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rbaustin
I have 18,000 expired miles. They are asking $150 to re-instate my mies. Do you think these many miles are worth $150?

Thanks
What would you do with the 18,000 miles? When would you use the miles?

Not quite enough for a domestic economy RT (25,000). Enough for a domestic upgrade on a W fare (17,500 plus $75 for a non-elite).

Some use 1.5 cpm or higher.
UA sells miles for roughly 2 cpm -- so that would be an upper bound.
If these are from using a Chase MP credit cards, the Choice Points / miles have a 1 cpm value.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What would you do with the 18,000 miles? When would you use the miles?

Not quite enough for a domestic economy RT (25,000). Enough for a domestic upgrade on a W fare (17,500 plus $75 for a non-elite).

Some use 1.5 cpm or higher.
UA sells miles for roughly 2 cpm -- so that would be an upper bound.
If these are from using a Chase MP credit cards, the Choice Points / miles have a 1 cpm value.
I just got the Chase Sapphire CC and plan on transferring some UR Points to MileagePlus and then use them either for domestic RT or International One way. In this case, is it a good idea to re-instate at $150?

Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I just got the Chase Sapphire CC and plan on transferring some UR Points to MileagePlus and then use them either for domestic RT or International One way. In this case, is it a good idea to re-instate at $150? ....
What is the $$$ cost of the ticket and does using miles (reinstated at $150) make sense?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:58 pm

What is the $$$ cost of the ticket and does using miles (reinstated at $150) make sense?
Well, I was thinking of the domestic RT for sometime in the future. I am still unsure about the One Way International, though. The OW ticket that I am considering is about $820, whereas United is asking 42.5K miles + $80 Fee for the same ticket.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:12 pm

... The OW ticket that I am considering is about $820, whereas United is asking 42.5K miles + $80 Fee for the same ticket.
So the miles would save $740, be earning 1.74 cpm. So any miles you can get for less than 1.74 cpm, would be saving your money.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:16 pm

So the miles would save $740, be earning 1.74 cpm. So any miles you can get for less than 1.74 cpm, would be saving your money.
Got it.. So then if I am getting 18,000 miles for $150, that would mean I am getting those miles at 0.8 cpm, which is better than 1.74 cpm. So in this situation it is a good deal to re-instate the miles, right?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:24 pm

Got it.. So then if I am getting 18,000 miles for $150, that would mean I am getting those miles at 0.8 cpm, which is better than 1.74 cpm. So in this situation it is a good deal to re-instate the miles, right?
That's a decision for you to make but the analysis gives you a basis to make the decision.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, US Air, Alaska
Deceased member UAL miles and how to reactivate them

A deceased family member had 61,000 UAL miles expire in October 2013. I have his account number and password, so for $400, I can get them reinstated. Is there any danger in waiting until 2016 to reinstate them? Also, how do I pay for them with my credit card in my name and not his? I don't want to trigger something with UAL.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by [email protected]
A deceased family member had 61,000 UAL miles expire in October 2013. I have his account number and password, so for $400, I can get them reinstated. Is there any danger in waiting until 2016 to reinstate them? Also, how do I pay for them with my credit card in my name and not his? I don't want to trigger something with UAL.
You can only re-instate miles that have expired in the past 18 months. Would appears it is already too late to do anything.

only miles expired in the last 18 months are eligible
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: SWA/CX what a combo...
Long time lurker first time poster...

I had almost 400k UA miles lost due to no activity (Yes I know stupid...) but I called and was very nice.. They reinstated my miles for $200
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by samsam12
Long time lurker first time poster...

I had almost 400k UA miles lost due to no activity (Yes I know stupid...) but I called and was very nice.. They reinstated my miles for $200
Welcome to FT, samsam12, were your 400k miles expired/lost more than 18 months due to inactivity when you called UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.