Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Just realized my wife's United miles expires 3 months ago. When the thread references an "uncredited" hotel stay, I assume that means one that has not already earned hotel points? She has a couple of IHG stays, but they have all earned IHG points already.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Just realized my wife's United miles expires 3 months ago. When the thread references an "uncredited" hotel stay, I assume that means one that has not already earned hotel points? ...
correct

Originally Posted by hotelmotel
She has a couple of IHG stays, but they have all earned IHG points already.
Don't know what IHG is like, generally it is hard to get a program to un-credit and then re-credit to a different program, but it may be a long-shot

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2019 at 7:53 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
correct

Don't what IHG is like, generally it is hard to get a program to un-credit and then re-credit to a different program, but it may be a long-shot
Thanks. Will give it a shot, but likely going to have to do the $100 + credit card.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:01 pm

Do you have to wait for the first CC statement to close before the miles get reinstated?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:02 am

" Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. "

Whats the definition of a "qualifying" RT flight on United or United Express? Is there a certain dollar amount?

For the other option, opening the United Mileage Credit Card through Chase, it says you must pay $100 first, BEFORE opening the CC. However, what if you get denied the CC, such as for being over the 5/24 rule? It says the $100 is Non-Refundable. Why should you have to pay a $100 non-refundable before opening the CC? Why not allow you to pay the $100 non-refundable fee AFTER opening the CC? Seems like they try to make it as difficult as possible.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I contacted MP via email asking for clarification regarding the purchase of basic economy tickets on UA marketed & operated qualifying flights to reinstate the miles. Here is their response:

Dear xxxx

Thank you for being one of our MileagePlus members. I'm sorry to know that your miles had expired.

Yes, basic economy fare will do; however it should be a round-trip travel on United or United Express and you must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date and complete travel within 90 days of registration.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s any other way we can help.

Regards,

xxxxx
MileagePlus® Service Center
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Lost mileage reinstatement

Is a business credit card valid for this challenge?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posting for cross-reference purposes (use the new thread for discussion)
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately)

and

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
United will retroactively restore miles for those whose miles expired in July/August 2019. That's also a nice gesture.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Is a business credit card valid for this challenge?
Bump.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:27 am

Mt wife's points expired a year ago. I was planning on using the Chase approach of paying $100.00 fee for reinstatement and getting a new United card. Looking through her United account right now I no longer see this offer. Is this still a viable approach to get her points reinstated?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Macken7
Mt wife's points expired a year ago. I was planning on using the Chase approach of paying $100.00 fee for reinstatement and getting a new United card. Looking through her United account right now I no longer see this offer. Is this still a viable approach to get her points reinstated?
try this link -- looks like fee has been reduced to $70

if that does not work
MileagePlus contact information
Email: Email MileagePlus

Phone 1-800-421-4655 (U.S. and Canada)
7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is odd. I emailed UA about whether a business card would qualify and got this response:

"One of the options to have your expired miles reinstated is to register and use a MileagePlus Visa credit card. All you need to do is to register for $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa credit card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date and use your card within 90 days of registration."

I'm surprised that an existing card can be used. Was that a mistake?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
This is odd. I emailed UA about whether a business card would qualify and got this response:

"One of the options to have your expired miles reinstated is to register and use a MileagePlus Visa credit card. All you need to do is to register for $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa credit card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date and use your card within 90 days of registration."

I'm surprised that an existing card can be used. Was that a mistake?
The earlier link states
Successfully apply, get approved and make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card that was opened after payment of the registration fee
but beleive an earlier poster alluted to use an existing card, so not sure.

More:
In an earlier post, member posted the full T&Cs
Once the $100 non-refundable registration fee is processed, the member has 90 days to make a purchase with a United MileagePlus credit card from Chase or complete a paid qualifying roundtrip on United or United Express.

Members who are not already the primary cardmember of a United MileagePlus credit card may apply online at united.com/creditcard. Only the primary cardmember of a United MileagePlus credit card can qualify for reactivation on credit card purchase activity.
So unless the T&Cs have changed, it seems an existing qualifying card is valid.

The or in the first clause is odd.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.