Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:12 am

Mileage Reinstatement Change?

So, I managed to neglect a pretty fair number of miles expire - and while I don't care for the reinstatement charge, it's still cheaper than buying a ticket straight up.

So, I thought about it, decided to do it, but when I click the "reinstatement link"

http://www.ualmiles.com/ReinstatementMiles.jsp

I get a "Page not found" error.

Was there some change in the reinstatement policy that I missed?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Wrong link: https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by squiddy
Was there some change in the reinstatement policy that I missed?
Probably not. A website error usually means nothing more than UA IT sucks.

They've been moving lots of stuff around with the new website. Good bet that's the explanation.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Thank you! - that actually appears to work - I've found three different ways/URL's to get to the same info, two of them didn't work, yours did.

Appreciate it.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:10 pm

So I let 165k miles expire on my wife's' account. I thought it was activity every 3 years, not 18 months. I contacted Hilton to see if they would switch one of my delta credits to United. I sure hope they will. I can't believe I did it. CRAP!!! I don't want to pay $950 to get the miles back. Any other suggestions on providers that will switch to United Miles for me?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:15 pm

Can I reinstate miles with a Sheraton 4 points charge?

I just made a shocking discovery today. I had 187,000 miles in my mileage plus account that I accrued over the past several years. However, I haven't had any account activity in the past 18 months. When I checked my balance today because of an upcoming flight, I discovered that my miles were forfeited a month ago because of inactivity. So, I called mileage plus and they said the only ways to reinstate miles were to either pay a large amount of money - over $1000 or pay $500 fee and get a mileage plus card, or find some account activity over the past 18 months that I can apply to the account to reinstate the miles.

I'm kicking myself because I could have very easily made a token purchase a month ago and restarted the 18 month clock. But, I'm past that point now.

So, I started looking through purchases that I made over the past 18 months of mileage plus partners and discovered that I spent $20 at a Sheraton Four Points Hotel restaurant in August 2015. The mileage plus website says that I can get 2 award miles for every $1 spent at a Sheraton Four Points Hotel.

Has anyone had any experience in getting retroactive mileage credit for such a expense? If it was an actual room reservation, that would probably be easy, but I'm wondering whether a charge at a restaurant would qualify and, if so, how do I go about getting that credit?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
How about a hotel stay?
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I know she did a hotel stay last year with Hilton. I'll give it a shot.

It was a complete and utter dead end with Hertz. Too much time since rental. Argh.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by econjon
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I know she did a hotel stay last year with Hilton. I'll give it a shot.

It was a complete and utter dead end with Hertz. Too much time since rental. Argh.
You are welcome. I find it easiest to sign up with MP dining program. In 18 months, you are bound to dine at least once at one of the participating restaurants. One time I received bonus miles without realizing while vacationing. Make sure you sign up with all of your credit cards.

Free 1,000 sign up bonus with MP dining: http://slickdeals.net/f/8547967-unit...000-miles-free

Last edited by 1KChinito; Mar 8, 2016 at 1:22 pm Reason: Add sign up bonus info
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: Yes.
Well total dead end on all fronts. Pleaded with Hilton to retro change credit from a past stay to UA...but no dice. Guess we'll get the CC and pay $500
Old May 4, 2016, 9:46 am

Expired Miles

Need a little help from the experts here. A friend of mine was traveling overseas when his United miles expired. He had 328K miles in his account and he thought that he had more time but his was mistaken. He didn't check his United account when he was overseas because he was in Asia and had hard time with the internet.

Now the problem is that United wants $1700 to reinstate the 328K and he wants to know if there is any other options aside from paying the full $1700. He knows that he should be required to pay something for his stupid mistake but $1700 just seems quite a lot. Thanks for any opinions.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
I think most people here would value the miles at 1.5c -2c each so I guess it's worth paying the $1700, if he can use them....
Old May 4, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Internet is no real problem in Asia, and he had plenty of time before he left,

Pay it and forget it...
Old May 4, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Or find a hotel/rental car/etc provider with which he did business before the expiry date - and ask for the retro miles. That will reset the miles without the expense.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Another option, if eligible, covered in the thread wiki, for $500, is
To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:32 pm

$500 plus credit card

Can anyone tell me if the $500 fee plus applying for United credit card is still valid to have your expired miles reinstated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.