Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:56 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
So, great news! The 50 miles posted to my son's account for the Marriott stay in mid September. I called United after seeing the 50 miles that posted showing Sep 17, 1017. He said it will take about 10 days to reinstate all of the lost miles since the retro Marriott miles qualified the account to be restored! Woo Hoo! I'll post again once I see the 20k miles back in place!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:58 pm
T Q

In my son's case, it would have cost $100 to reinstate 20k miles. That wouldn't have been worth it for us. But I do like that some of the 1 way mileage amounts on UAL are just 10k miles. San Diego to Sac One way is showing as 10k miles as long as you can go when that rate is available.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:48 pm
T Q

Yay! Got the 20k miles back @ no charge!

It worked. The hotel partner stay miles (50 for one night) a couple of weeks before the expiration of the United miles did the trick. The stay was Sep 17th. Although the miles expired on Oct 1st, I was able to get the credit retroactively which then qualified my son to not have all his miles expire. Whew! I wouldn't have paid the $100 for the 20k miles reinstatement because it didn't seem worth it. Seems pretty cheesy of United to not reinstate miles when it's only 6 days past the expiration date. And, the cost of the reinstatement seems out of proportion to the miles lost. United is already a last choice airline for us due to cramped regular seating etc. Oh well. I'm feeling thankful now! I gotta get my spreadsheets up to date!

Last edited by T Q; Oct 21, 2017 at 7:00 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Great, glad it all worked out for you.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:01 pm

expired miles

Has anyone had any luck reinstating miles past the 18 month (from expiration) window?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:16 am

28,000 miles expired. Should I re-instate them?

Hey guys,

I just noticed that my UA-MP miles accumulated from 2015-2017 (28k miles) have expired as I've not been flying UA or Star Alliance partners much in the last year or so as I've been getting better deals from other airlines on most of my Canada-Mumbai-Canada flights. I'm going to fly UA in Feb though (SFO to Toronto) and am wondering if I should re-instate my miles by paying the $100 fee and getting the Explorer card? Would it be worth it considering they don't award as many miles as they used to before? Will I be able to get any free tickets from just 30,000 miles?

Also, I believe the United Explorer card has a $0 first year fee then $95 so can I return the card before the first year ends or is that not allowed?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I think the 28K miles is worth reinstating for $150 if you have a plan for them within the next few years.

Some decent values of 30K miles in my opinion:

South East Asia - New Zealand one way for 25K miles (Same number of miles needed for SE Asia - Australia. Before the devaluation, I felt SE Asia-Australia was good value at 17.5K miles but not anymore as travelling from SE Asia - Australia is not as far/expensive)

China/Japan - New Zealand one way for 30K miles (Same number of miles needed to Australia but value is not good with the same reason as above)

USA-Northern South American one way for 25K miles.
Domestic flights within Japan for 5K miles each way
Direct flights under 800 miles costing 8K miles.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by hightide
I think the 28K miles is worth reinstating for $150 if you have a plan for them within the next few years.

Some decent values of 30K miles in my opinion:

South East Asia - New Zealand one way for 25K miles (Same number of miles needed for SE Asia - Australia. Before the devaluation, I felt SE Asia-Australia was good value at 17.5K miles but not anymore as travelling from SE Asia - Australia is not as far/expensive)

China/Japan - New Zealand one way for 30K miles (Same number of miles needed to Australia but value is not good with the same reason as above)

USA-Northern South American one way for 25K miles.
Domestic flights within Japan for 5K miles each way
Direct flights under 800 miles costing 8K miles.
Thanks. Isn't it better to pay $100 + get the free credit card to re-instate the 28k miles rather than paying $150? Am I missing something?

Also, I see a SFO-YQG (San Fran to Windsor where I live) flight on Feb 28 for 12.5k miles on the United site... do you think that's good value for money? Interestingly, that flight never shows up if I check by prices instead of award miles and the cheapest fare is strangely $1121 compared to ~$200 from other airlines, I wonder why.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nevillek
Thanks. Isn't it better to pay $100 + get the free credit card to re-instate the 28k miles rather than paying $150? Am I missing something?

Also, I see a SFO-YQG (San Fran to Windsor where I live) flight on Feb 28 for 12.5k miles on the United site... do you think that's good value for money? Interestingly, that flight never shows up if I check by prices instead of award miles and the cheapest fare is strangely $1121 compared to ~$200 from other airlines, I wonder why.
What is the best sign up bonus you can get on the credit card? Last year the highest bonus was 70K miles after $3K spend + 5K miles adding authorized user + $50 statement credit.
Recently, I haven't seen any higher than 50K miles + 5K miles.

If 55K miles is indeed the highest bonus, I would hold off applying for the United card if I could qualify for the Ink Preferred (this card comes with a 80K UR points bonus after $5K spend in 3 months and $95 annual fee). I could then transfer the 80K UR to United and/or many other partners at 1:1 ratio. If I were you, I would pay the higher $150 fee + get the Chase Ink Preferred
The United Explorer card would only be a better deal if you plan to take a dozen or more domestic United flights this year with baggage as the card saves you the $25 checked bag fee.

If the lowest cash price for SFO-YQG is $200, redeeming 12.5K miles is a good value in my book.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nevillek

Also, I believe the United Explorer card has a $0 first year fee then $95 so can I return the card before the first year ends or is that not allowed?
That is correct. You can cancel the card after a year (in the month when the annual fee is applied). You will retain the bonus miles given for signup and any miles earned through spending up to that month.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by hightide
What is the best sign up bonus you can get on the credit card? Last year the highest bonus was 70K miles after $3K spend + 5K miles adding authorized user + $50 statement credit.
Recently, I haven't seen any higher than 50K miles + 5K miles.

If 55K miles is indeed the highest bonus, I would hold off applying for the United card if I could qualify for the Ink Preferred (this card comes with a 80K UR points bonus after $5K spend in 3 months and $95 annual fee). I could then transfer the 80K UR to United and/or many other partners at 1:1 ratio. If I were you, I would pay the higher $150 fee + get the Chase Ink Preferred
The United Explorer card would only be a better deal if you plan to take a dozen or more domestic United flights this year with baggage as the card saves you the $25 checked bag fee.

If the lowest cash price for SFO-YQG is $200, redeeming 12.5K miles is a good value in my book.
I just called Mileage Plus and they transferred me to the Chase credit card team over the phone who told me that they'd need a US address and SSN (over phone) to apply for a credit card. I am an Indian citizen living in Canada (Canadian PR) so I think I don't qualify? Only option would be paying $150 then.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I would definitely reinstate - picked up a last minute SFO-Tampa flight the other day for a friend that to purchase was at least $800 - used only 25K miles
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I would definitely reinstate - picked up a last minute SFO-Tampa flight the other day for a friend that to purchase was at least $800 - used only 25K miles
The most basic way to look at the question is how much would these miles cost if purchased directly from United. United typically sells miles for 2cpm. Sometimes they will sell at a discount. Just for illustration, right now it would cost ~$750 to buy 28000 miles. Obviously paying $150 is better than paying $750.

Of course, that assumes you'll actually use those miles. $150 for miles you'll never redeem is just $150 you've burned. So, if you expect to use the miles for an award ticket or otherwise, then $150 is a much cheaper way to buy miles than the usual path. If you don't think you'll use them, just having them in your account doesn't do much good. (And of course United doesn't given you any benefits simply for having miles.)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The UA card could also be a better deal if it opens saver award availability for flights the OP wants to take with their newly-reinstated miles
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by getagb
The UA card could also be a better deal if it opens saver award availability for flights the OP wants to take with their newly-reinstated miles
Whats this??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.