Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If you are asking about where funds for tickets that qualify for promotions come from, I've never seen any restriction on that other than that it be a new ticket (ie not a re-used PNR from earlier). S, your travel bank funds should be just fine to use.
Okay, do you know if the $100 'Register' fee can come out of the travel bank as well?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ahchiu
Okay, do you know if the $100 'Register' fee can come out of the travel bank as well?
No, Travel Bank funds can only be used for booking air travel and not for auxiliary fees.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
That is correct. You can cancel the card after a year (in the month when the annual fee is applied). You will retain the bonus miles given for signup and any miles earned through spending up to that month.
I read the Terms & Conditions. I don't see where it is specified that the card must be held for a year. Reference please?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:09 pm

Reinstate Mileageplus Miles

Hi there!
So I am very disappointed and sad because I could not use my recently expired miles.
I went on my United profile and there is an option to reinstate your miles, they are charging me 100 USD for about 8.000 miles.
Is it worth it? Or should I just forget about my miles?

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Evittie

Originally Posted by Evittie
So I am very disappointed and sad because I could not use my recently expired miles.
I went on my United profile and there is an option to reinstate your miles, they are charging me 100 USD for about 8.000 miles.
Is it worth it? ...
There is not much that can be done with 8,000. To use for flights, you would need more miles. You could use the miles to purchase a meal at EWR/IAH or purchase in-flight wifi.

What are 8,000 miles worth -- depends on what you plan to use them for -- common valuations would be $100 to $150 (but that small of miles cannot be used for the higher valuations -- so $50 - $75 would be my guess for 8,000.

There are some other options versus the cash-only approach. Getting a UA MP credit or taking a UA flight but both of those require a $100 fee, so not helpful for this number of miles/
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:17 pm

Thank you very much for your well-explained reply, I am much clearer now about my miles and what they are worth .
I am not worried anymore so thank you for that! I am very glad I asked before purchasing them back!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
Question Reinstatement Challenge - Flights canceled - rebooked OAL

Hi,

A few days ago, I noticed that my large quantity of UA miles had expired. Planning to purchase a last-minute flight, I paid the $100 for reinstatement challenge...then booked my UA flight. Perfect timing, I thought.

Then, UA canceled my flight (and other flights to my destination the same day). I was rebooked on Alaska and took the flight.

Now my reinstatement clock is ticking, with no great opportunity to fly UA before expiration. Any way to get the UA miles credited (or any other challenge-fulfilling adjustment), since UA chose to bounce me to Alaska?

Thanks,
Tim
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Go to the Customer Support form and request ORC (original routing credit), referencing the original itinerary.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Yes. Go online and request your eTicket Itinerary and Receipt from United.com. Verify that the agent correctly endorsed the ticket as "INVOL", which would be noted in the fare rules section, you'll see it. Once you verify that the ticket was marked as an involuntary reroute-which if your flight is cancelled, that would usually be the only way to exchange and reissue the ticket. Then, call the MileagePlus Service Center, request "original routing credit (ORC) for an involuntary reroute" and they will be able to put it through. The flights will instantly post as if you actually flew on the United flights, including Premier Qualifying segments, dollars, segments, award miles, lifetime miles etc.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:35 pm

Do flights booked through credit card travel portals count as "paid" flights for this mileage reinstatement process?

I was hoping to use the USBank Travel Portal (according to this link the Travel Portal bookings do earn miles. But I was also considering the Chase Travel Portal and others, which usually "purchase" tickets using your accrued credit card points. Are those generally considered "paid" in terms of most of the promotions or offers that United makes? I couldn't find anything even semi-definitive within the United forum.

The problem is that the flight I want to book now is close to 3 months out, so if it doesn't count or the miles don't post for some reason, I won't have the ability to take another flight. I'm assuming that I have to register first for the reinstatement process, then book my flight, not the other way around? Can a pre-booked flight count if I register for reinstatement later, or must the flight be booked after I begin the "challenge"?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
Thanks a bunch! It took far more time than expected to get this accomplished, but the miles/points for the canceled / INVOL flight credited immediately once I got them to do it. I suspect that my expired miles will appear sometime in the near future.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:10 am

Would flying Skywest DBA United Express work to reinstate my expired miles? Is roundtrip still required as suggested on wiki? I read on the page that you only need to "fly with united" so I thought maybe one way would work too. Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by katye
Would flying Skywest DBA United Express work to reinstate my expired miles? Is roundtrip still required as suggested on wiki? I read on the page that you only need to "fly with united" so I thought maybe one way would work too. Thanks!
ne way will work.
katye likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:35 pm

For 'Register and Fly', is it possible to register and then book the UA flight for spouse, and still get my points reinstated?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by ahchiu
For 'Register and Fly', is it possible to register and then book the UA flight for spouse, and still get my points reinstated?
Suspect the name and account numbers need to match

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.