Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nevillek
I just called Mileage Plus and they transferred me to the Chase credit card team over the phone who told me that they'd need a US address and SSN (over phone) to apply for a credit card. I am an Indian citizen living in Canada (Canadian PR) so I think I don't qualify? Only option would be paying $150 then.
Generally speaking, you don't qualify unless you have a SSN.

Whats this??
Awards denoted by "XN"
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
The most basic way to look at the question is how much would these miles cost if purchased directly from United. United typically sells miles for 2cpm.
Personally, I would never pay United 2 cpm for RDM, but I know that's the common exchange rate. In recent years I've used my miles on trips with an equivalent value of about 1.25 cpm, so for me that's the ratio I'd use. Even so, that would be over $350 in value to me. Others may value them higher than that.

To the OP, it really comes down to how much value do you place on these miles based on what you plan to do with them. Odds are, if you have plans to use them before they expire again, you'll be better off to reinstate these for $150 than pay the fare of a ticket you could buy with them.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by getagb
The UA card could also be a better deal if it opens saver award availability for flights the OP wants to take with their newly-reinstated miles

Whats this??
Originally Posted by hightide
Awards denoted by "XN"

United opens up a lot more Saver award availability for those that either 1.) have status, or 2.) have the credit card. For those that have neither, they'd have to purchase Standard awards. Not all Saver awards are reserved for status/credit card holders of course, but it does seem like they do open up a fair number of more options in the Saver bucket. As indicated above, these are fare bucket XN, but now, United puts a statement below the flight info to make it even more obvious that says 'This is exclusively available to you as a Premier Elite member / credit card holder."
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
25K is enough to reinstate. Much less than that, I wouldn't pay for.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Okay... but it seems I can't get the card as I'm not from the US??
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Okay... but it seems I can't get the card as I'm not from the US??
It's difficult, especially difficult if you don't have a USA credit history, SSN or tax id.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:32 am

Okay, I paid the $150 and bought the ticket using the miles.

BTW, my father is a US citizen and his 30k miles have expired as well. Should I get the credit card for him? I doubt he can spend 5k over the card in 3 months though? Does spending include any debits made on the card?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
I reckon you could become an authorized user, (get your own card attached to the account) and help your father with the spend requirement.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by joban
I reckon you could become an authorized user, (get your own card attached to the account) and help your father with the spend requirement.
I’m in Canada though ?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus

I’m in Canada though ?
If you are you will have to call (the number on the back of the card) them to add a non U.S. based address.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by joban
If you are you will have to call (the number on the back of the card) them to add a non U.S. based address.
but the name on the card will still be that of my father’s?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
But the name on the card will still be that of my father’s?
For an "authorized user", the card will be in the name of the authorized user. However, the card account and responsibility to pay will be in the primary account holder's name. There will be a single monthly billing for all users. Mileage credit goes to the primary account cardholder's MP account.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For an "authorized user", the card will be in the name of the authorized user. However, the card account and responsibility to pay will be in the primary account holder's name. There will be a single monthly billing for all users. Mileage credit goes to the primary account cardholder's MP account.
Great, but would the american bank be okay with issuing a 2nd card in my name although I'm out of the US and making purchases elsewhere with that card? What details of mine would they need? Stuff like Canadian SIN, permanent resident number, etc?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

Great, but would the american bank be okay with issuing the 2nd card in my name although I'm out of the US and making purchases elsewhere with that card? What details of mine would they need? Stuff like Canadian SIN, permanent resident number, etc?
Probably a better question for Chase credit card forum but banks are generally more concerned about who is guaranteeing payment and not who is using the credit or where.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by elimmm
does UA have any grace period beyond the 18 months? i missed it by 2.5 weeks, is it worthwhile calling numerous times, or should i just try a retroactive car rental (if i find one)
thanks

I had 6 days over the 18 month period and they would not budge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.