Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately) Aug 2019

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25020401-post50.html

Mileage reinstatement from qualifying activities:

Missing mileage for partners must be requested through the United Airlines partner directly (visit www.united.com/retrocredit and select the "Non-airline partners" section). All requests need to be made within 12 months of the date of the qualifying activity. This could be flights or hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.

Other mechanisms of mileage reinstatement:

United Airline's mileage expiration policy requires that accounts have qualifying activity at least once every 18 months to keep miles from expiring.

Here are some options to have miles reinstated (max look back is 18 months):
="1"%Check https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

Buy Back your miles – You can buy back your miles online. The cost varies depending on the amount of miles being reinstated.

Register and fly - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then complete qualifying roundtrip travel on United or United Express You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and complete travel within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable.

Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa® - Register for $200 $500 $100 and then use a new or existing MileagePlus Visa card to make a purchase. You must register within 18 months of your mileage expiration date, and use your card within 90 days of registration. The registration fee is non-refundable. To apply for a MileagePlus Visa, visit the United Airlines Credit Card page.

To participate in either the “Register and fly” or “Register and use a MileagePlus® Visa®” mileage re-instatement promotions, please call the MileagePlus Service Center or [check [url]https://buymiles.mileageplus.com/united/index_en.html for details

8/9/16: There is a promotional offer where the Register and Fly/User a CC option is $100. Not sure how long it will last (still valid Nov 2018)

Print Wikipost

Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Find something ...anything like a car or hotel rental...that you had done pre august 1 that you can credit.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold, HH Silver
Thank you - I may have stayed in a hotel! I appreciate this!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you log on it tells you when you miles expire. So there is a constant notification.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:24 pm

I hadn't logged on in a while -- too poor to travel. ;(
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:50 pm

OK, although I think it is still crummy customer service to not tell someone about expiring miles, I called back b/c I had redeposited a ticket and thought that might count. It didn't, but I could register for a "challenge" for $100 - just need to fly in 90 days. Well, the whole reason I had signed on in the first place was to book a flight. So, done!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:06 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
On the Email Subscriptions page you can sign up to get your statements electronically. This would tell you when your miles expire. Also, if you pick up an Explorer card and use it once a year, the miles will *never* expire!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ssh
... Also, if you pick up an Explorer card and use it once a year, the miles will *never* expire!
Actually you never have to use it but would still need to pay the annual fee.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by micksgirl
...I called back b/c I had redeposited a ticket and thought that might count...
?
When did your redeem the ticket?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I had a colleague - no longer any status - come into my office the other day saying she had just realized she had 86k miles that had "expired". I suggested she call MPSC and told her to expect to pay some $ for reinstatement. She returned about 30 mins later very - agent she had spoken to initially quoted her $500 to reinstate. But because it was only three weeks since expiration and as the proverbial "one-time exception", colleague's miles were restored gratis!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by micksgirl
OK, although I think it is still crummy customer service to not tell someone about expiring miles, I called back b/c I had redeposited a ticket and thought that might count. It didn't, but I could register for a "challenge" for $100 - just need to fly in 90 days. Well, the whole reason I had signed on in the first place was to book a flight. So, done!
Glad this worked out, that's an awful lot of miles to lose.

UA is not alone in not providing warnings . . . the FF programs make money from your expiring miles and the industry standard (with a few exceptions) is not to provide you any notice. I've lost at least two batches of SPG points that way.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I had a colleague - no longer any status - come into my office the other day saying she had just realized she had 86k miles that had "expired". I suggested she call MPSC and told her to expect to pay some $ for reinstatement. She returned about 30 mins later very - agent she had spoken to initially quoted her $500 to reinstate. But because it was only three weeks since expiration and as the proverbial "one-time exception", colleague's miles were restored gratis!
I'm glad for her. I did the $100 promo, but I had to work really hard to get them to offer it to me.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
I'm not sure of the best way to look at this, so I'd appreciate some advice.

LA little over a year ago I had some miles expire. I discovered it about a month later, kicked myself, and let it go.

Just now I logged into my MileagePlus account and saw that I can reinstate 10,806 of them for a fee of $93.75. Alternatively, I could reinstate only 10,000 of them for $75.

So should I look at this as getting 10,806 miles @ 0.86 cmp ($93.75/10,806)?

Or should I see it as 10,000 miles @ 0.75 cpm plus 806 miles @ 2.32 cpm?

Since I can choose any number of miles to reinstate, I'm thinking that paying an extra $18.75 for only 806 extra miles seems ridiculous, but I don't know if I'm evaluating it correctly.

Im case it is not obvious, I do not fly UA very often. I have 2,600 miles in the account right now.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
So should I look at this as getting 10,806 miles @ 0.86 cmp ($93.75/10,806)?

Or should I see it as 10,000 miles @ 0.75 cpm plus 806 miles @ 2.32 cpm?
Im case it is not obvious, I do not fly UA very often. I have 2,600 miles in the account right now.
What would you do with the 10K miles and when?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Keep them active until I have enough to do something with!

I think I will be flying United or *A at least a couple of times in the next few months for work. I don't usually fly them for leisure. Maybe I should get one of their credit cards.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:38 pm

I messed up and let 70,000 miles expire on 09/01. I'll search for more activity but 3 weeks ago I rode Amtrak but neglected to give them my MP#. Called them and they say they are unable to access past reservations, talk to United. United says they are unable to add the miles, talk to Amtrak. The United agent recommended I email customer care and explain the situation, which I'll do shortly.

Seems unlikely, but thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.