Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And Happy Easter to everyone as well!

My lady and I are off to New Orleans tomorrow for a long weekend where, among other folks, we will be getting together with Seat 2A and miniliq in the French Quarter. I have the distinct feeling we are in for one heck of a good time!
To that end, I was hoping to have posted this two-part question just a bit earlier but what the hey! Here it is:

First, it's the summer of 1968. What is the common denominator (aside from the fact that they're all in California) between the following cities?

Bakersfield
Blythe
Burbank
Chico
Crescent City
El Centro
Eureka/Arcata
Fresno
Inyokern
Lake Tahoe
Long Beach
Los Angeles
Marysville
Monterey
Oakland
Ontario
Oxnard/Ventura
Palmdale/Lancaster
Palm Springs
Paso Robles ~ San Luis Obispo
Redding ~ Red Bluff
Riverside
Sacramento
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Ana ~ Orange County
Santa Barbara
Santa Maria
Santa Rosa
Stockton
Vandenberg Air Force Base

and the second part of the question: How does having provided the correct answer to the first part of this question affect my current travel plans?

I'm very much looking forward to our get together as well. Dinner in the French Quarter will be quite an upgrade over tonight's epicurean adventure - a walk across the highway to that culinary staple of Southern comfort food - the local Waffle House! But hey ~ if it's good enough for this year's Masters champion Bubba Watson, it's good 'nuff fo me! Bon Appétit et laissez les bons temps rouler!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 17, 2014 at 4:13 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL, AA
As of July 1, 1968, they were all served by Hughes Air West.

as for the second part I don't have a clue.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Icecat
As of July 1, 1968, they were all served by Hughes Air West.

as for the second part I don't have a clue.
Actually, it was the new Air West in the summer of 68 as Howard Hughes did not finalize his acquisition of RW until 1970 when the carrier was then renamed Hughes Airwest......

And I have no idea with regard to the second part either but have the feeling I may hear all about it this evening......

So, before we head to N.O., it's time to rev up the ole lawnmower with a nice cup of Community coffee with Baileys in hand......
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: BA
Not a quiz item but just a surprising story about the past history of Shannon Airport, Ireland, which turned up on the BBC website today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27040076

Of all the thousands of TWA Constellation flights that went through there, I wonder how the photo editor managed to select a decidedly rare transatlantic TWA DC4.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
maybe the editor is a regular reader of this thread ...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
would their be any truth to the rumor that Seat 2A has a new neighbor up in AK?

a recent UAF grad, organic chem major ... who reportedly goes by the nickname of

the Ester Bunny
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good Afternoon All!

I hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend.....we certainly did!

Last Friday afternoon and evening, Seat 2A joined us for appetizers followed by dinner in the French Quarter of New Orleans. First stop was Drago's for their famous flame broiled oysters and freshly baked french bread complimented by a wonderful Cabernet Sauvignon from the Central Coast of California. And then following a brief stop at our hotel (the newly renovated Hyatt Regency near the Superdome), we were off via taxi for the main culinary event of the evening: dinner at Muriel's on Jackson Square! Seat 2A and yours truly elected to order the same selections from the restaurant's Table d'Hote prix fixe menu consisting of turtle soup au sherry, double cut pork chops with fresh vegetables and pain perdu bread pudding with candied pecans and rum sauce for dessert. My lady chose a fish entree which was superb as well. Oh, did I mention the red wines from Bordeaux? We enjoyed a 2004 Margaux and a 2007 St. Emilion with dinner. We then headed over to the d.b.a. Bar on Frenchmen's St. for a bit of live music and further refreshments.....

And hats off to miniliq for picking all three of us up the next morning and then treating us to an excellent brunch at Tujague's in the Quarter! This restaurant was established in 1856 and is still going strong. According to the restaurant, several U.S. presidents have visited Tujague's including Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower. Another notable visitor was French leader Charles de Gaulle. The eggs benedict were fantastic and the bloody marys were quite refreshing as well. Thanks again, sir! ^

So, there's a mini restaurant report for you and, no, I did not take any photos! I am working on a new set of quiz items which I shall submit in a couple of days IF no one beats me to the punch and submits their own in the meantime. And you are highly encouraged to do so!

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 22, 2014 at 3:23 pm Reason: additional info.....
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
To the best of my knowledge, only one question has ever been asked here at the OTAAQ that incorporated an award for the correct answer. Having supplied that correct answer almost a year ago now, I'd like to say it was a real pleasure to join jlemon and Lady K for a fabulous dinner and evening in old town New Orleans. As has been detailed above, we ate and drank like French royalty and as hosts go, jlemon and Lady K were every bit as gracious as they were entertaining.

Thanks also go out to miniliq for a delicious breakfast at one of New Orleans' oldest and most fabled eateries - Tujagues. That restaurant had a most impressive collection of miniature liquor bottles displayed on its walls, so it was indeed remarkable to learn that miniliq, who's been collecting miniature airline liquor bottles since 1958, has a collection that's many times larger than the one we saw at Tujague's.

In all it was a wonderful 22 hours in New Orleans and my sincere thanks go out to JL and mini for their part in making it such a pleasant and memorable occasion.

As for me, I am at present sitting in the Pacific Parlour Car aboard Amtrak's Coast Starlight, enjoying a good strong Wi-Fi signal here at the station in Eugene, Oregon. Since we've arrived early, I also have sufficient time to compose and send off this post. Dinner this evening will be a Red Wine Braised Lamb Shank with Portobello Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Oregano. An on time arrival is planned for later this evening in Seattle. Tomorrow I will relocate to San Diego where a full sized rental car awaits to speed me off into the Desert Southwest. Where time allows, I'll attempt to come up with a few new questions for the quiz, hopefully to follow JL's upcoming set.

Didn't I also hear that our man outside the nation's capitol (and occasionally Seattle) might also have an upcoming set for us? We'll look forward to those. And now if you'll excuse me, they've just announced my seating in the diner. Cheers!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 23, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Old May 1, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Dated April 6th: well ... I have been doing some research into historical airline/airliner trivia, and have come up with a "travelogue" that supports a handful of questions along the lines of those that Seat2A (and jlemon as well) routinely pose ... it needs a bit more fine-tuning, but with luck I may be able to post it before embarking on my DCA-???-SEA-PDX trip on Wed ...
That sounds very nice indeed! We look forward to your questions whenever you feel ready to post them! ^^
Old May 2, 2014, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... DCA-???-SEA-PDX trip on Wed ...
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
That sounds very nice indeed! ...
it was an absolutely beautiful day to fly

my original ticket was DCA-DTW-SEA (booked in A; A319 and domestic 757 with 26 F seats) ... thanks to Delta's liberalized Same-Day-Confirmed policy for FC tickets I was able to change to DCA-JFK-SEA (CRJ-900 and international 757 with 16 J seats)

spent an hour of my layover in the USO Club at Sea-Tac, where I met up with Missydarlin who volunteers there on Wed evenings; then flew SEA-PDX on a Horizon Dash 8-400 sporting Washington State University colors

in the morning I drove PDX-EUG and spent the next three days helping my sister get our mom settled into a senior residential community; drove back to PDX Sat night, took the 630am Bolt Bus up to Seattle on Sun (the 500 miles for the AS/QX flight just wasn't worth $184 when the bus was $25), got on the light rail at the International District station at 930, and was in the Delta Sky Club by 1015 ... return flight was SEA-JFK at 1115 (also in J on a 757), followed by JFK-BWI on an ERJ-145

I am still tweaking the travelogue ...
Old May 2, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still tweaking the travelogue ...
And with that update in hand, I shall go ahead and post a new set of quiz items this evening featuring the 1960's......
Old May 2, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Friday Evening All!

Beautiful spring weather here in south Louisiana with low humidity, deep blue skies with just a few decorative contrails and current temps in the upper 70s F with the 50s F expected overnight......

And with that, let's return to The Quiz and......The 1960's.......

As usual, please limit your answers to two or three quiz items at a time so all may participate and also please try to answer as completely as you can.

All of this initial set of 25 quiz items have a time line of various months during the year 1962:

1. Two new airliners made their first test flights during 1962. Name both. ANSWERED

2. This South American based airline was operating direct service once a week to Beirut, Lebanon. Four intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the airport in South America where this flight originated from, all four stops and the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

3. Avianca was operating direct service once a week between Bogota and New York where two intermediate stops were made en route with both being located on the same island. Name these two stops and also the aircraft type operated on the service. ANSWERED

4. Avianca was also flying once a week between Bogota and Frankfurt at this time. There were four intermediate stops en route. Identify all four stops as well as the equipment flown on the route. Also, what was the name that Avianca used to promote their in flight service on this and other international routes? ANSWERED

5. This African based air carrier was operating service once a week between its home base airport and Tokyo. Four intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, its home base airport, all four stops and the aircraft type flown on the service. ANSWERED

6. Ghana Airways was operating three different turboprop aircraft types at this time. Name all three. And of the three types, identify which one was being operated on their twice a week nonstop service between Accra and London. ANSWERED

7. This airline used the acronym CAT. What did CAT stand for and where was this air carrier based? CAT was also operating two aircraft types at this time, being a jet and a propliner. Identify both. ANSWERED

8. Aeronaves de Mexico was serving three destinations in the U.S. in 1962. One aircraft type was used to serve two of the U.S. destinations while a second aircraft type was used to serve the third U.S. city. Name all three U.S. destinations and include which aircraft type was used to serve each U.S. city. ANSWERED

9. United Airlines had only one departure each day to an international destination from Denver. A total of five intermediate stops were made between Denver and this international destination. Identify the one and only international destination served direct from Denver by UA at this time, all five intermediate stops and the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

10. United was also operating several "Men Only" flights at this time. Two of these flights departed Chicago at 5:00pm local each weekday to different destinations. Name both destinations and the equipment used on each flight. In addition, UA had very specific and different descriptive names to identify each of these flights. What were the names used to describe these flights? ANSWERED

11. Besides the "Men Only" service offered by United from Chicago, the airline was also operating this same type of "Men Only" service between two other city pairs in a different area of the U.S. at this time. Name both of the airports served by these flights as well as the equipment flown on the service. Also, UA used very descriptive and different names to identify these flights depending on the direction of travel. What were these names? ANSWERED

12. You are in Salt Lake City and would like to travel to San Francisco. You discover a "milk run" flight operated by United that makes five intermediate stops en route. Identify all five stops and the equipment operated by UA on the route. ANSWERED

13. Austrian Airlines was operating five flights a week between Vienna and London at this time. An intermediate stop was made at the same city in each direction. Name this intermediate stop as well as the equipment Austrian flew on the service. ANSWERED

14. In 1962, Delta Air Lines was operating two different aircraft types into Greater Southwest Airport (GSW) which served Fort Worth at the time. Name both types. ANSWERED

15. Also at this time Braniff International was operating at least five different types of equipment between Dallas Love and Houston Hobby. Identify all of them. ANSWERED

16. Caribair was operating a unique version of the Convair 340 at this time. What was this unique feature? ANSWERED

17. Every Monday at this time, BOAC operated a westbound around the world flight that originated and terminated in London, of course. This service was described as operating via "The Orient" and thus did not stop in Australia. Eleven intermediate stops were made en route on this around the world flight. Name all of them and also identify the equipment flown by BOAC on the service. ANSWERED

18. BOAC was also operating a westbound around the world flight from London which departed every Friday at this time. This flight was also operated via "The Orient" and made eleven intermediate stops en route. However, two of the stops were different from the routing of the flight described in item 17. Identify these two different stops. ANSWERED

19. Air France was operating once a week from Santiago, Chile to Paris at this time. Five intermediate stops were made en route. Name all five stops as well as as the equipment flown by AF on the route and also identify which airport in Paris was served by this flight. ANSWERED

20. All of the service operated between Canada and Latin America by Canadian Pacific was flown with DC-8 equipment with the exception of one round trip flight. Identify this route as well as the different aircraft type operated by CP on the service. ANSWERED

21. What type of aircraft was Canadian Pacific operating on its direct flights between Vancouver (YVR) and Whitehorse (YXY) at this time? ANSWERED

22. Western Air Lines was operating both the Boeing 707 and Boeing 720B at this time. The 707 was operated into five airports in the U.S. by WA. Identify all five. ANSWERED

23. You are now in Houston and would like to travel to Seattle. You discover an interchange flight operated by two different air carriers which makes five intermediate stops en route. Identify both airlines, all five stops and the aircraft flown on the service. Also name the interchange airport where one carrier handed off the service to the other carrier. ANSWERED

24. This air carrier was operating shuttle service between Chicago O'Hare and Chicago Midway with up to 20 round trip flights each day. Name the operator and the equipment it flew on the route. ANSWERED

25. Fill in the blanks concerning the following airline marketing statement:

"The Captivating Caravelle. Quietest jet in the world joins the World's Largest Jet Fleet. And in all the USA, only United has it." ANSWERED

We are just getting started here with more quiz items from the 1960's to follow!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Friday evening! And now to the barbecue pit outside in our courtyard!

Last edited by jlemon; May 25, 2014 at 12:24 pm Reason: spelling, a correction....and answer updates.
Old May 2, 2014, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... All of this initial set of 25 quiz items have a time line of various months during the year 1962:

1. Two new airliners made their first test flights during 1962. Name both.
VC-10 and TU-134

7. This airline used the acronym CAT. What did CAT stand for and where was this air carrier based? CAT was also operating two aircraft types at this time, being a jet and a propliner. Identify both.
Civil Air Transport of Taiwan ... they operated DC-6s and Convair 880s

12. You are in Salt Lake City and would like to travel to San Francisco. You discover a "milk run" flight operated by United that makes five intermediate stops en route. Identify all five stops and the equipment operated by UA on the route.
UA ran a Convair 340 SLC-SFO via Ely, Elko, Reno, Sacramento, and Oakland
Old May 3, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: BA
1. Two new airliners made their first test flights during 1962. Name both.

VC-10 and TU-134
I reckon it's the VC-10 and the Trident. The Tu-134 I believe made its first flight the next year, 1963.
Old May 3, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Many thanks to jlemon for submitting such a fine selection of questions to entertain us this weekend. Yours truly is presently being entertained from aboard Amtrak's Downeaster operating between Portland, Maine and Boston. I'll be attending the A's - Red Sox game at Fenway this afternoon, then jetting off to San Diego later this evening. No lawn work for me this weekend although I will utilize an eight hour layover in Seattle to do laundry and ride the ferry out to Bremerton and back.

As to the questions, let me guess...

8. Aeronaves de Mexico was serving three destinations in the U.S. in 1962. One aircraft type was used to serve two of the U.S. destinations while a second aircraft type was used to serve the third U.S. city. Name all three U.S. destinations and include which aircraft type was used to serve each U.S. city.

I'm reasonably confident the cities were New York, Tucson and San Antonio. As to the aircraft, let's go with the DC-8 for New York. I know AM had Britannias until later in the 60s but those would seem a bit large for the TUS and SAT runs, so I'll go with the DC-6 for those cities.

10. United was also operating several "Men Only" flights at this time. Two of these flights departed Chicago at 5:00pm local each weekday to different destinations. Name both destinations and the equipment used on each flight. In addition, UA had very specific and different descriptive names to identify each of these flights. What were the names used to describe these flights?

I know United used to serve Newark with men only flights that were known as "Executive Flights", as in The New York Executive and the Chicago Executive. I didn't know there was another men only destination out of Chicago, but Washington, DC would seem a likely choice. If so, I suppose that flight would've been the Washington Executive. The executive flights started with DC-6s in the 50s but by 1962 I'd imagine they were operated with the Caravelle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.