Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Despite the policy some travellers have succeeded in having bags interlined. But do not rely on baggage being interlined

Link to on line blog http://www.ausbt.com.au/connecting-b...liance-skyteam

Individual threads of Oneworld Airlines interlining between separate tickets / PNRs Sky Team
AF AF will not interline anymore across reservations?
DL Delta Confirms Through-Check Baggage Policy (11 January 2016)
DL Interlining Checked Bags DL to BA

Star Alliance
UA Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Edit
Fixing formatting after software downgrade
Added AS
Strike out LA
AS no longer interlines on separate tickets

Print Wikipost

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Himeno
revised when and in what way?
Basically changed from "Traveling on/after September 1st ..." to "Tickets Issued on/after September 1st ...":
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Just to make sure we're all on the same page, this is revised version I believe:
American Airlines
Customer Planning Advisory

Subject New separate ticket baggage policy

Revised: September 1, 2016

Effective: Tickets issued onlafter September 1. 2016

To align American Alnines with our oneworld partners and to reduce baggage mishandlings, we will now only through check customers and baggage when all the tickets are in the same PNR.

For tickets issued on/after September 1, 2016 American Airlines will no longer check through bags when customers hold separate tickets in separate PNRS.

We will only through check when the customer holds the iollowing tickets in the same PNR:

- American Airlines and American Eagle
- oneworld and oneworld affiliate airlines

When AA has linked separate tickets in separate PNRs using a DS segment (limited change PNRs or revenue and award tickets) the bags will continue to be checked through to the final destination.

Note: The policy on AA to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed. We will not through check customers or bags. even ii the tickets are in the same PNR.

Baggage charges

The bag charges a customer will pay depends on the tickets they hold in the same PNR
~ AA-oneworld Assess charges separately tor each ticket
~ AA-AA: Assess charges as if one journey

For separate tickets in separate PNRs, customers should be advised that they will need to reclaim their bags alter travel on the first PNR and then re-check them for their second PNR, including any applicable baggage charges
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
This is truly the worst decision OW has done during the past years! They should allow interlining at least for F and J tickets, OWEs and OWSs!

A good number of frequent travelers (who most often travel in F or J) will move to other alliances.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Justinus
This is truly the worst decision OW has done during the past years! They should allow interlining at least for F and J tickets, OWEs and OWSs!

A good number of frequent travelers (who most often travel in F or J) will move to other alliances.
What is the policy of other alliances on this?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Yeah,I agree,as a non EU passport holder,this will be a pain,because I often travel LHR-Schengen-AMM/HKG/Asia and I can't go landside. I don't often travel with checked baggage,but when I do there is a reason for that (eg:liquids).

I heard that in HKG you can ask the transit desk to re-tag your bag and someone will then pick up your bag from the carrousel and check it in again. Does that only happen in HKG,or is it common across the globe? Transit desks often ask me for my baggage tags when I travel on separate tickets,does that mean it's possible to re-tag your bag at the transit desk?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:46 am

I have also heard about the transit desk re-tagging your luggage in Mumbai but I cannot find a confirmation to this. I have two separate tickets from LHR-BOM and then BOM-CMB. If BA will not check my luggage through to CMB and the transite desk will not re-tag my luggage this could involve a very expensive visa for a three hour layover. Any advice please?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy, Golden Circle, Marco Polo, MileagePlus, SKYMILES
Recently, I tried MH -> CX KUL-BKK-HKG and CX -> AB HKG-DUS-HAV.

For MH -> CX, they do check thru my baggage and boarding pass as well. However, baggage was left behind in BKK due to MH late arrive (but I had 1.5 hours in transit.

For CX -> AB, I did contact Marco Polo club to add my "Info segment" into CX's PNR. Finally, check in staff check my baggage to HAV but no boarding pass.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
IRROPS with new rules

I had two tickets , QF SYD-MEL-LHR and BA LHR-GLA booked on a single PNR by my TA.
At SYD baggage checked through to GLA and BP issued for all flights. QF9 had maintenance issues in DXB and arrived too late (8hrs 30 min late) to make any connecting flight to GLA. Advised by QF that they had re-booked me on flight this morning to GLA.
I went to LHR T5 early this morning as I couldn't check-in and suspected something was amiss. Ticket had not been reissued and BA advised that QF should never have checked the bags through. Luckily the agent was able to reissue it for me but was advised it was "against the new rules". I pointed out that everything was under a single PNR but BA say that's irrelevant.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I had two tickets , QF SYD-MEL-LHR and BA LHR-GLA booked on a single PNR by my TA.
At SYD baggage checked through to GLA and BP issued for all flights. QF9 had maintenance issues in DXB and arrived too late (8hrs 30 min late) to make any connecting flight to GLA. Advised by QF that they had re-booked me on flight this morning to GLA.
I went to LHR T5 early this morning as I couldn't check-in and suspected something was amiss. Ticket had not been reissued and BA advised that QF should never have checked the bags through. Luckily the agent was able to reissue it for me but was advised it was "against the new rules". I pointed out that everything was under a single PNR but BA say that's irrelevant.
The BA thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-tickets.html
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
... and from that thread, the agent was wrong:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in.
http://www.britishairways.com/assets...h-check-in.pdf

Last edited by serfty; Sep 20, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:40 am

I had two different tickets.
AA IAH-LAX-HKG
Cathay HKG-BKK

When I checked into IAH, the front counter agent refused to check my bag to BKK since it was a different ticket. When I inquired at Admiral Club in LAX, they said I had to ask for a supervisor. I asked if a gate agent could have helped me and they said no.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If ticket was issued after 1 sep, a supervisor , if called, should just be confirming that this is the policy. AA has changed its policy to not check bags through
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If ticket was issued after 1 sep, a supervisor , if called, should just be confirming that this is the policy. AA has changed its policy to not check bags through
You are correct and I did confirm with the Cathay transfer desk agent. The agent said it is a one world policy that two different itinerary will not have bag checked through.
The good thing for me is the transfer desk in HKG took care of my checked luggage so I didn't have to exit custom and redo security. I was worried I would have to wast time to get my luggage and re check in. Using the transfer desk only took 20 minutes.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Post 2016 bag interlining and IROPS assistance - written policies of oneworld members

Considering the changes in the oneworld policy of not interlining bags or assiting in IRROPS for tickets on multiple PNRs, and allowing individual oneworld member airlines to decide their own level of service, I want to create a single reference thread for all oneworld member airlines on their written policies on bag interlining and IROPS assistance post-2016 service changes.

Some of this information is spread across the various forums for various airlines, but it will be helpful to compile this for all oneworld members in the same place so that those who travel internationally on multiple alliance airlines can refer to this in one place. One we have enough information, we can copy the current information into a wiki post.

Let's answer the following questions, and also link to the policy documents from the airlines, so that travelers can talk to airline agents when checking in.

Please use this format:

(abbreviations: XX - placeholder for airline code. OW - oneworld airlines. NOW - non-oneworld airlines.

[XX] Airline Name
Policy document (document date):
[link to the written policy document from airline website or other reliable source]

[for each of the nine items below, mark 'Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO' after the colons, and add any pertinent information in that line after that]

Summary:
1. One PNR, one ticket
1.1. XX - XX: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO
1.2. XX - OW: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO
1.3. XX - NOW: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO

2. One PNR, multiple tickets
2.1. XX - XX: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO
2.2. XX - OW: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO
2.3. XX - NOW: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO

3. Multiple PNRs
3.1. XX - XX: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO
3.2. XX - OW: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO
3.3. XX - NOW: Bag interline YES/NO, IROPS assistance YES/NO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[AA] American Airlines

Policy document (Sep 1, 2016): https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf

Summary:
1. One PNR, one ticket
1.1. AA - AA: Bag interline YES, IROPS assistance YES
1.2. AA - OW: Bag interline YES, IROPS assistance YES
1.3. AA - NOW: Bag interline NO, IROPS assistance NO (IROPS - rebook through to final destination if AA has a ticketing agreement with the NOW)

2. One PNR, multiple tickets (no difference from item 1)
2.1. AA - AA: Bag interline YES, IROPS assistance YES
2.2. AA - OW: Bag interline YES, IROPS assistance YES
2.3. AA - NOW: Bag interline NO, IROPS assistance YES, rebook through to final destination if AA has a ticketing agreement with the NOW

3. Multiple PNRs
3.1. AA - AA: Bag interline NO, IROPS assistance YES
3.2. AA - OW: Bag interline NO, IROPS assistance YES
3.3. AA - NOW: Bag interline NO, IROPS assistance YES if AA ticket stock
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Does anyone know what is the policy of QR or UL in such cases? I posted in the QR forum about it since it's not answered on their website. But since there is no separate UL forum, can someone knowledgeable about UL answer here, please.

I think CX and QF have written policies about this, I'll find them and update this thread. How about BA? Do they have a written policy?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by nort
Summary:
1. One PNR, one ticket
1.1. AA - AA: Bag interline YES, IROPS assistance YES
1.2. AA - OW: Bag interline YES, IROPS assistance YES
1.3. AA - NOW: Bag interline NO, IROPS assistance NO (IROPS - rebook through to final destination if AA has a ticketing agreement with the NOW)

I think the "NO" highlighted in yellow should be YES...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.