Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Burned by Strict Enforcement of No Interline on LATAM to Oneworld (separate tix)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Burned by Strict Enforcement of No Interline on LATAM to Oneworld (separate tix)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

LATAM is apparently strictly enforcing no interline on separate Oneworld to Oneworld tickets.

I had an SFO/SCL RT on AA and an SCL/AEP RT on LA. (The trip involved a stay @ SCL, and it was just easier to do it this way.)

Check-in AEP - refused to tag my bag through to SFO. Premium cabin on all segments. After further discussions and apologies by two agents, still refused to tag my bag through to SFO. Sympathies, but still bag tagged to SCL. They are not happy with the policy because of dealing with passengers not properly documented to enter the intermediate countries at times.

Landed SCL (bus gate, as well as bus gate @ AEP). Immigration took only 10 minutes or less, but it was almost an hour for the bag. Then after customs, back upstairs, only to have the AA counter still closed for the better part of an hour. Instead of landing/transit security/lounge of approximately 15 minutes, it was a 2 hour ordeal.

Don't say you weren't warned.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
On the other hand, I flew SCL-EZE (LA) and EZE-DFW (AA). My wife, SCL-EZE (LA) and EZE-MIA-DCA. The AA flights were on separate PNR. Bags checked through for both of us. Might have helped that we were in Business on LA to EZE and thus able to use the premium check-in section at SCL.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
On the other hand, I flew SCL-EZE (LA) and EZE-DFW (AA). My wife, SCL-EZE (LA) and EZE-MIA-DCA. The AA flights were on separate PNR. Bags checked through for both of us. Might have helped that we were in Business on LA to EZE and thus able to use the premium check-in section at SCL.
After 1 June?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Same here.. two of us.. business class all the way..
SCL-GRU-DXB and SCL-GRU-LHR-TXL.. none got the bags for the last segment tagged. First one was connecting to EK so understandable (although they used to do it anyways), but I was connection to BA.. arrival to terminal 3.. immigration.. pick-up bags..customs.. heathrow express.. etc etc etc.

What's the reasoning? Just to encourage people tu buy single tickets?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I had an SFO/SCL RT on AA and an SCL/AEP RT on LA.
Why didn't you buy a SFO-AEP through ticket?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Why didn't you buy a SFO-AEP through ticket?
2 reasons - I didn't initially know when planning the trip if I wanted my stay @ SCL to be at the start or end of the trip, and the fare was substantially higher than the combination of the two tickets.
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You should still be able to interline bags if the two tickets are purchased in the same PNR. While neither carrier will willingly issue multiple tickets in the same PNR, any halfway decent TA will do this for you and that ought to solve the problem, even if you must purchase a second ticket later.

Your situation is merely a hassle. But, there are many who face insurmountable problems because their selected transfer point is one where they may transfer but where they may require a visa to pass through Customs and obtaining a visa is either expensive or time-consuming or, in a worse-case scenario, not possible.

This was undertaken by OW (non-OW is roughly the same for other alliances) absolutely understanding the issues.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
You should still be able to interline bags if the two tickets are purchased in the same PNR. While neither carrier will willingly issue multiple tickets in the same PNR, any halfway decent TA will do this for you and that ought to solve the problem, even if you must purchase a second ticket later.
The rule, as I understand it, is not based upon PNR, but is based upon ticket. Accordingly, your "should" is an unlikely result.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The rule, as I understand it, is not based upon PNR, but is based upon ticket. Accordingly, your "should" is an unlikely result.
From what I've read, it is based on the PNR rather than the ticket.

http://www.travelmarketreport.com/ar...ember-Airlines

"It no longer requires member airlines to accept bags from another oneworld carrier if the passenger is not traveling on a single PNR."

I guess I will find out next week when I attempt to interline bags between flights with seperate tickets but the same PNR.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:34 am

Anyone know if they're still strictly enforcing for separate PNR LA-LA connections, too? (Some of the other oneworld airlines seem to have backed away from this a little.)
Old May 30, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: LANPASS
With LA-LA connections you should be fine, as the whole change is specific for interline thru-check in.
Be ready, however, to provide the counter agent with booking code and/or ticket number for the connecting flight though (if they are just a little bit busy, they may be reluctant to look it up)
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:48 pm

A datapoint: LA-LA through check was refused point-blank at JFK. "We don't do that anymore." (And not because she couldn't find the other booking — in fact we were offered boarding passes for both segments.) Fortunately, we have a 2hr40 layover in SCL...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:44 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Beyond jamespvg's recent experience at JFK, any other anecdotes on LA to LA baggage checkin? I'm flying LAX-LIM, LIM-YYY on separate LA tickets (award and revenue due to availability). In Business LAX-LIM, and Premium Economy LIM-YYY.

Will it be necessary to process through customs and immigration and re-check bags in LIM? Only have 1h40m but hoping that would be enough time!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by dll
Beyond jamespvg's recent experience at JFK, any other anecdotes on LA to LA baggage checkin? I'm flying LAX-LIM, LIM-YYY on separate LA tickets (award and revenue due to availability). In Business LAX-LIM, and Premium Economy LIM-YYY.

Will it be necessary to process through customs and immigration and re-check bags in LIM? Only have 1h40m but hoping that would be enough time!
Immigration and Customs are universal you have to pass them when you enter any contry/territory –excluding EU where you usually pass it on the destination airport, but that is another beast–. Since this is your first port of entry to Peruvian territory, you will have to do it -Peru does not have a sterile transit area, but I'm guessing your YYY connection is a local airport there, so no, your passport will be checked, and you will pass the scanners–.

When you exit, just keep walking and you will find the ticketing area, that's where you can re-check your bags with an agent or dropp them if you are ticketed to final destination.

Your time should be enough, altough it is a big tight. To get a general idea: passport control can take from 5 minutes to 1 hour, depending how back in the plane are you, how many people are ahead of you, how many planes are arriving with you, how many agents are working. I make the habit of running/walking fast there so I get ahead of everyone. Since you are flying PB that shouldn't be an issue.

Customs is just the time between picking the luggage and passing it thru the scanner, so i'm going to say 5 minutes if you must queue. The time you will take in ticketing depends on the same factors as above. LATAM agents might bump you if you are running late there.

Security in LIM for national flights is really easy and fast –no belts, computers, liquids of shoes off–. The time required is usually negligible
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MfromL
Immigration and Customs are universal you have to pass them when you enter any contry/territory –excluding EU where you usually pass it on the destination airport, but that is another beast–. Since this is your first port of entry to Peruvian territory, you will have to do it -Peru does not have a sterile transit area, but I'm guessing your YYY connection is a local airport there, so no, your passport will be checked, and you will pass the scanners–.
I took the post you're quoting to be an int'l/int'l LIM connection, as the connection is in Premium Economy. Accordingly, there's just transit security, and no touching of the luggage if the bag is checked through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.