Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Despite the policy some travellers have succeeded in having bags interlined. But do not rely on baggage being interlined

Link to on line blog http://www.ausbt.com.au/connecting-b...liance-skyteam

Individual threads of Oneworld Airlines interlining between separate tickets / PNRs Sky Team
AF AF will not interline anymore across reservations?
DL Delta Confirms Through-Check Baggage Policy (11 January 2016)
DL Interlining Checked Bags DL to BA

Star Alliance
UA Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Edit
Fixing formatting after software downgrade
Added AS
Strike out LA
AS no longer interlines on separate tickets

Print Wikipost

Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)

Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stex
Thanks for sharing. Moderator could consider moving this to the combined interlining issues thread and updating the wiki to reflect LA exception in this case...
There are on going reports from all airlines that occasional interlining on separate tickets may happen on request. More common at out stations. Many times this is not in accordance with the published airline policy. Cannot be taken as change in official policy.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

No combined baggage routing

meanwhile I did the trip. In CDG at the AA checkin counter they said it is not possible to combine a baggage routing on two Oneworld tickets. As I insisted and said it is possible she went to the manager who reassured it is not possible.

unfortunately my trip to GRU got delayed in MIA by 4 hours so that we missed our second flight booked with LATAM.

But there This was the only good Oneworld benefit. We received a paper from
AA that it was their fault and LATAM rebooked us to the next
available flight to GIG even though it was a separate but Booked ticket.

Unfortunately the next available flight was
in the evening and we had to kill 8 hours in GRU. No lounge, no shopping mile only a nail studio,
a food court and a red lobster to kill time.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oobodoo
Meanwhile I did the trip. In CDG at the AA checkin counter they said it is not possible to combine a baggage routing on two Oneworld tickets. As I insisted and said it is possible she went to the manager who reassured it is not possible.
It is possible to through baggage on separate OW tickets, but (some) OW airlines have chosen not to, as per the policy.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:22 pm
R2

oneworld turns 18

While we the travelling customers are facing all this additional inconvenience and hassle, what does oneworld CEO Rob Gurney say:

Many millions of those passengers fly on multi-sector journeys requiring transfers between two or more oneworld member airlines and this is really what oneworld, or indeed any global alliance, is all about: connecting airline networks together to make it as smooth and as easy as possible for customers to reach many, many more places than any one airline can on its own.

https://www.oneworld.com/news-inform..._col_count%3D5
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And now QR backtracks also.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airwa...-baggage-rules
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sxc

Finally some good news.

"a time-consuming headache which no business traveller needs" is both an extremely accurate description and a slightly understated criticism of OneWorld's consumer unfriendly policy. I hope that QR leads the pack.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the AA thread
Originally Posted by JDiver
Important change! Qatar Airways has announced they will no longer adhere to oneworld's draconian baggage transfer policy when flights are booked on separate PNRs.

As long as MCT / minimum connection times are met, QR will interline baggage on separate oneworld PNRs as of 1 March 2017.

Australian Business Traveller (link) found the change in the QR ground services manual issued 23 Feb 2017, verified by a QR spokesperson.

NOTE: If one is beginning travel with a one world airline adhering to the oneworld policy and continuing on Qatar, one flying on separate ONRs is still going to have to collect baggage and recheck with QR.

E.g. SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-DOH-CMB on QR, two PNRs - the first sector on AA, remainder on QR, AA will not respect QR ground handling rules so one will have to recover baggage at LAX and transfer it to the QR checkin counter.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From the AA thread
QR thread as well: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ar-2017-a.html (slightly more comprehensive).

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2017 at 10:36 pm
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Seeing if I have this right. I will have to get my bag and recheck in MIA, and again in MAD, I am traveling IPT, MIA, MAD, HRL, and then VNO.

I booked a single ticket IPT to VNO on AA, to depart today 15MAR2017. In Monday 13MAR2017 AA canceled the ticket, sent me a text that it was due to projected winter storm, and they were unable to rebook. I was worried as I need to be at a meeting in VNO on 20MAR2017, I tried to book but could not get the trip to go through. I then booked separately for Friday 17MAR2017 MIA to MAD on AA, them MAD to VNO on Finnair. For 36 hours I could not get a seat out of IPT on Friday 17MAR2017, but the AA Explat desk was able to get me a seat late yesterday.

So now I went from one ticket and one record locator to three tickets and three record locators. All on OW carriers, AA sold two of the three tickets, yet it looks, after reading 11 pages of this discussion, that I can't check my one bag from IPT through VNO.

Just posting this to make sure I am not missing something. Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
<snip>
I am traveling IPT, MIA, MAD, HRL, and then VNO..
<snip>
....three tickets and three record locators. All on OW carriers, AA sold two of the three tickets, yet it looks, after reading 11 pages of this discussion, that I can't check my one bag from IPT through VNO.
How you got to 3 tickets is irrelevant
On separate tickets AA will not interline baggage. Nor will AY or IB (from the wiki links)
AA thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ne-2016-a.html
You will need passport/visa to enter the countries to get your bags & check in. That takes time

Route http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=i...OR=&MAP-STYLE= (have you got the airport codes correct?)

Open the wiki in this thread

Edit
Route revised IPT-MIA-MAD-HEL-VNO
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=i...avy&MAP-STYLE=

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 20, 2017 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:49 pm

"You will need passport/visa to enter the countries to get your bags & check in. That takes time"

Ouch, may have a issue with that.

Getting to VNO through HEL.

Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:04 pm

Want to update flying on three different AA PNRs going IPT PHL MIA MAD HEL VNO and wanting to check bag from IPT to VNO.

Arrived at IPT and was a brand new (and very nice) what I believe to be a contracted agent. Decided not to push my luck to much, and asked her to route the bag IPT to MAD. She struggled understanding the IB flight from MIA to MAD was a AA codeshare. She called her helpdesk, and after about ten minutes she wrote a manual tag Using AA flight numbers IPT to PHL to MIA, and IB flight number MIA to MAD.

I was worried when I showed up in MAD, my bag may be have been missing. Instead, it was the first off the belt.

Yes, one can get their bag routed on two different PNRs as long as the agent is willing.

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Mar 19, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Want to update flying on three different AA PNRs going IPT PHL MIA MAD HRL VNO and wanting to check bag from IPT to VNO.
For any who were wondering about "HRL" in the above, I'm pretty sure the OP meant to write HEL.

Interesting datapoint.... but I wonder whether the Help desk was associated with AA, or was the contractor's support (perhaps dealing with lots of check-in counters for various airlines throughout the country). I suspect the latter....
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:26 am

"""HRL" in the above, I'm pretty sure the OP meant to write HEL.""

Thanks, I did correct it to say HEL, went from MAD to HEL to VNO...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:35 pm

CX Interlining Success

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Finally some good news.

"a time-consuming headache which no business traveller needs" is both an extremely accurate description and a slightly understated criticism of OneWorld's consumer unfriendly policy. I hope that QR leads the pack.
CX changed their policy too.
I was able to do BKK-HKG-JNB // JNB-DOH-MIA last month &
BKK-HKG-JNB // JNB-GRU-MIA this month. CX agents were great.

I had a copy of the policy change (I think it was effective 2/1/17) printed out from CX's website, but they were aware of the policy change. I complained when I couldn't, & praised both times (in BKK & in HKG) when I could thru check.
They were VERY AWARE in HKG that PAX were not happy with the old policy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.