MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
correct. credit score is not provided on the free reports.
I was able to get my Equifax score for free a few years back, but had to sign up with a credit card for one free month, and then cancel. I am not sure if they still offer that deal, but it's a good way to get your score if you're interested...
Old May 22, 2015, 4:30 pm

RBC Avion to Avios Converstion promo

The 50% RBC Avions to BA Avios promotion will return June 1st - July 15th
Old May 22, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Cool

That reminds me.. What's the general consensus on what's the better deal?

Amex&RBC-> Avios (1.5x promo on RBC, not sure if there's Amex promos?)
Amex->Aero (no more promos ) and RBC->AA (only 1.25x promos)

? I'm torn between Avios and AA... I'll be using it mostly for flights from YVR-ZRH so I can fly AA all the way by connecting through JFK (or CX for the awesome YVR-JFK plane)

(I live in YVR, my family in ZRH and I do the roundtrip once a year)

BA has worse award pricing than AA but better conversion value... Has anyone done the math on this or can tell me about some other factor I'm forgetting?
Old May 22, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Smiley90
That reminds me.. What's the general consensus on what's the better deal?

Amex&RBC-> Avios (1.5x promo on RBC, not sure if there's Amex promos?)
Amex->Aero (no more promos ) and RBC->AA (only 1.25x promos)

? I'm torn between Avios and AA... I'll be using it mostly for flights from YVR-ZRH so I can fly AA all the way by connecting through JFK (or CX for the awesome YVR-JFK plane)

(I live in YVR, my family in ZRH and I do the roundtrip once a year)

BA has worse award pricing than AA but better conversion value... Has anyone done the math on this or can tell me about some other factor I'm forgetting?
BA has fuel surcharges. AA has more carriers without fuel surcharges.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by keitherson
BA has fuel surcharges. AA has more carriers without fuel surcharges.
BA doesn't have fuel surcharges when flying/redeeming with AA though, AFAIK?
Old May 23, 2015, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
BA doesn't have fuel surcharges when flying/redeeming with AA though, AFAIK?
fuel surcharges still apply on AA when booking BA flights (and IB, but less than BA)
Old May 25, 2015, 10:47 am

The recent devaluation of avios ( on April 28th) is making Visa BA less appealing. And the bonus offered is light, too.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
The recent devaluation of avios ( on April 28th) is making Visa BA less appealing. And the bonus offered is light, too.
Avios was only hammered at the mid to top range. The best value, the 4,500 mile short haul (and its less desirable cousin, the 7,500 mile slightly longer haul) are alive and well, and even their business class version is unchanged. I've never redeemed Avios for anything larger (well... once, HKG-KIX in F just for the hell of it), but the best value remains those two.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:59 pm

Whats the deal with the Amex Business gold card? 40k points with a referral? This still alive?
Old May 25, 2015, 10:01 pm
alc

Originally Posted by hearna
Whats the deal with the Amex Business gold card? 40k points with a referral? This still alive?
yes it is, here is the info from the general refer-a-friend page:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...GoldRewardCard
Old May 25, 2015, 10:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Yeah it's still around. Please get a referral from a member (or self) so that at least someone benefits
Old May 26, 2015, 5:21 am

As others said, it's 40K WITH referral, 30K without referral signup
or self-refer if you already own AMEX Gold or Plat
Old May 26, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Applied (online)and approved for CIBC Aerogold Business Visa (FYF, 20,000 aeroplan points). While I do have a legitimate small business, agent only inquired about my annual salary from my job. Agent approved application after verification.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
For my next churn I am looking at the Chase Marriott, the TD Aeroplan Infinite and the Amex SPG. Fingers crossed, the 3 will go through in 1 day.

Looking for input from experienced churners here on the forum:

- should I do this as soon as credit score goes up, or wait a few days (how many) after score increase?

- should I do them in a particular order?

- is there a difference in success rate between application sites? (RFD, GCR, direct with institution)

- if an application gets denied on one site, proceed to resubmit on the other site or let be for 90 days?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by winebug
For my next churn I am looking at the Chase Marriott, the TD Aeroplan Infinite and the Amex SPG. Fingers crossed, the 3 will go through in 1 day.

Looking for input from experienced churners here on the forum:

- should I do this as soon as credit score goes up, or wait a few days (how many) after score increase?

- should I do them in a particular order?

- is there a difference in success rate between application sites? (RFD, GCR, direct with institution)

- if an application gets denied on one site, proceed to resubmit on the other site or let be for 90 days?
I'd love to hear some official inputs on this as well, but I don't think anybody really knows for sure

Heck, if I were you, I'd do all 3 in 1 day and see if that reduces a credit check somehow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.