Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Here's the big Q. Is there somewhere else in Hawaii that I should go? I have five nights in June. I don't drink a lot of alcoholic, but appreciate decent wine at night. I do, however, value a good breakfast as I awake by 5-5:30 a.m. every morning. Should I go to another island?
Have you been to Hawaii before? Do you want to be near Waikiki? Waikiki is very busy with a lot of tourists so it can be very crowded! The beaches are nice and calmer than other beaches on Oahu. Five nights is not a long time to spend in Hawaii and each island is different. There are some great beaches and historical sites to explore on Oahu and its a great place to go if this is your first visit to Hawaii. On Oahu outside of Waikiki, there is a Courtyard near the North Shore and a Marriott Vacation Club in Ko 'Olina.

The Laylow is the only Marriott in Hawaii that is not classified as a resort and therefore provides a "free" breakfast, but based on what has been posted in this thread, not sure it would meet your requirements as a good breakfast. Most other Marriotts throughout Hawaii offer discounts to elites for their breakfast buffets which are usually quite extensive, but cost $35+ per person before the discount.

Regards,

RIP...
Old May 25, 2017, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by OU812
Have you been to Hawaii before? Do you want to be near Waikiki? Waikiki is very busy with a lot of tourists so it can be very crowded! The beaches are nice and calmer than other beaches on Oahu. Five nights is not a long time to spend in Hawaii and each island is different. There are some great beaches and historical sites to explore on Oahu and its a great place to go if this is your first visit to Hawaii. On Oahu outside of Waikiki, there is a Courtyard near the North Shore and a Marriott Vacation Club in Ko 'Olina.

The Laylow is the only Marriott in Hawaii that is not classified as a resort and therefore provides a "free" breakfast, but based on what has been posted in this thread, not sure it would meet your requirements as a good breakfast. Most other Marriotts throughout Hawaii offer discounts to elites for their breakfast buffets which are usually quite extensive, but cost $35+ per person before the discount.

Regards,

RIP...
I've done two nights before at the Moana Westin. I just want to hang out, get sun, see bikinis and eat cheap -- the ABC store.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, Marriott AMB/LTT, Hyatt EX, HH Dia, Ntl EEE
Still deciding...

I've been following this thread for a while since I am going to Hawaii for a couple of weeks. I was excited to see that there was and Executive Level at the hotel. I felt hoodwinked to find out that its only coffee and pastry available. As I'm writing this email I see that they have removed all the descriptions from the Executive Level room Overview, Amenities and In-room Media.

I chatted online with SPG and was able to get the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani for the same rate. The parking is included in the as of April 2016 and you get breakfast for 2.

I'm not sold on either property but leaning toward SPG. I do have until May 30th to cancel one of the reservations.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Given what you posted, I'd keep the Sheraton reservation if I were you.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Given what you posted, I'd keep the Sheraton reservation if I were you.

Cheers.
X2
Old May 25, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Rondelltg
I've been following this thread for a while since I am going to Hawaii for a couple of weeks. I was excited to see that there was and Executive Level at the hotel. I felt hoodwinked to find out that its only coffee and pastry available. As I'm writing this email I see that they have removed all the descriptions from the Executive Level room Overview, Amenities and In-room Media.

I chatted online with SPG and was able to get the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani for the same rate. The parking is included in the as of April 2016 and you get breakfast for 2.

I'm not sold on either property but leaning toward SPG. I do have until May 30th to cancel one of the reservations.
The Princess is icky, or at least it was the last time I stayed there 4 years ago and I haven't been back since. See post #255

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post20235702

Maybe they've improved, but make sure you research it before you go. I strongly recommend the Sheraton Waikiki or the Moana Surfrider. Good review of SW posted today.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Low in perks for Marriott Elite members.
Low standards of their so called executive rooms (do not be a fool and pay for it)
Low service standards. Very nice staff but they lack the standard attention to service.

The lack of care toward Marriott Elite members make this hotel a big looser in my book. They had the opportunity to stand out as a full-service Marriott in Hawaii that offers Gold and Platinum members some easy perks like a lounge and Breakfast. Yet it Is clear the cheap and bare bone options is what the management went for. They worked very hard to provide nothing with saying they provide everything.

There is NO LOUNGE at this hotel do not be fooled like I did. I booked an executive room as it was the lowest class room open when I booked. I’m a Marriott gold, and normal perks are Upgrades, Lounge access and for hotels without a lounge full breakfast. This hotel is a scam! They say.. Oh yeah we have a lounge with “Drinks and Snacks” thru out the day and “continental breakfast”. Yet what I found was a table in the hallway with TAP water, a coffee machine, and 2 bins of mostly empty trail mix. Breakfast is the slap in the face that will wake you up. They have low end watered down OJ and donuts and some basic full fruit... I have seen more items at hotels at the front desk for all guest.

The worst part is here is what is in the room description that I booked and paid for (Deluxe Room, Executive Level, Partial Ocean View and Mountain View, balcony) “Complimentary food: - Continental breakfast - midday snack Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages” again let me be clear as what this is in reality. Tap water, Trail mix, watered down OJ, coffee, donuts, fruit” In the hallway area they have a pull-out drink coolers that never had anything in it. I checked both the 15th and 16th floor. When asking the staff about this so called lounge, I was told “well sir, it is nice for free”. NOT FREE I booked a room that cost more with these so called perks. As for other perks as a gold.. NO upgrade or even a apology they could not upgrade me, NO Elite recognition, Nothing! At the bar as I was I talking to a Platinum guest who did get a $10 food voucher. Wow just shows this hotel is not trying to “deal” with Marriott Elite members. Fail!

Now to the room. It is nice, modern but on the small side. Before they redid this place, it was a roach hotel. Not anymore. I would pick this place based on the room, but lack of so much makes the nice rooms last on my list. This hotel thinks they can survive based off being new and having nice rooms. Just not going to cut it in the sea of hotels in Waikiki. Room was clean, Bed was nice. Bathroom was small but nice, shower water pressure was not great. The wifi was SLOW and at times just did not work. The room style was cool and a good place to crash. Yet they lack of normal Marriott perks even for an Autograph collection hotel.

One last thing there was a welcome basket in the room. A nice touch (I’m told this is for the so called Executive rooms) it was 2 sets of branded flip flops, 2 bottles of local soda, and some chips and cookies. But the thing I found a bit odd was two condoms at the bottom of the basket, I may be old school but this is odd for a High end Marriott branded hotel. I can not imagine how this could be awkward for parents who have kids running for the chips and find this..

Yes this hotel is new and my issues can not be put down as growing pains. It is a clearly calculated way to provide Marriott Elites the bare minimal with playing around the rules on what a hotel should provide.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Gag me with a spoon

Last edited by bdschobel; Jun 1, 2017 at 4:39 pm Reason: removed lengthy quote
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
General manager: [email protected]
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Hmm, had to look this one up!

"An ensaiimada is a pastry product from Mallorca, Spain."

The breakfast got a whole lot classier!

Nothing wrong with serving filtered tap water. I will choose it over bottled water any day. PET bottles are an environmental nightmare!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Never again

There is a basic core of service and competence a hotel must have before it can try to be trendy, unique or different... or Autograph. The Lay Low fails in the basic core. Marriott should be embarrassed to associate with such core unprofessionalism and should take immediate steps to use its vast resources (now with Starwood) to bring some competence to the Lay Low.

Some data points:
Only 2 elevators = long waits
Elevator: no key needed, everyone can walk up to any floor
My room key didn't work, had to call down for a functional one
"Food" on the Executive Level is like dry dog food
Not given room type booked, actually had a downgrade, and clearly no upgrades for MR Platinum members
Pool doesn't appear to get any sun as it's surrounded by a parking structure or a tall building on each side
E Komo Mai Amenity box is nice, fun branded flip flops but does not make up for the resort fee
Nothing in gift shop has price tags; nice stuff but how do they expect to sell anything without price tags or signs listing prices?
Exec floor: coffee machine uses milk powder, 'filtered' water tap is just that, not even refrigerated, no hot or carbonated option. Didn't seem to be refreshed very often (my room was literally next to the pantry area)
Great bed, a little harder than a Westin Heavenly bed but overall great comfort and sleep
Bath amenities great (no parabens, etc.)
Entrance to restaurant is awkward, not clear how to get there so most people walk between 2 plants. No signage.
No DnD sign in room
Left bedside lamp non-functional
No Mormon literature, nor bible, just books on Hawaiian and Surf Culture
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:46 am

This doesn't sound like a Marriott operation despite the "Autograph" label. Marriott Headquarters should be informed about deficiencies so appropriate action can be taken.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JetAway
This doesn't sound like a Marriott operation despite the "Autograph" label. Marriott Headquarters should be informed about deficiencies so appropriate action can be taken.
Agree.

I'd also recommend posting on TripAdvisor & emailing the GM to express displeasure w/ the various defficiencies. This property is definitely not Autograph Collection caliber.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree.

I'd also recommend posting on TripAdvisor & emailing the GM to express displeasure w/ the various defficiencies. This property is definitely not Autograph Collection caliber.

Cheers.
I talked with two so called Managers. They could care less. The GM post cut and paste responses on TA about the lack of Elite services.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:14 am

Yeah we figured out entrance to the restaurant on our own, have to go ALL THE WAY around the bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.