Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Well, when you have no status and aren't a frequent traveler then the disingenuous conduct of The Laylow management doesn't strike you as unusual or stand out as bad.
Now that is a great point. unless you have been to the islands before and have experienced so decent "Aloha". Sadly a lot of that is going by the wayside of the real Hawaii 5 O reruns
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Now that is a great point. unless you have been to the islands before and have experienced so decent "Aloha". Sadly a lot of that is going by the wayside of the real Hawaii 5 O reruns
Sad but true!

In the fifteen or so times I've been to the islands in the last ten years, I've yet to receive an upgrade to a suite.
Elite benefits are almost non-existent there, so I've learned to expect little or nothing.

The only property that has consistently upgraded me is the Wailea Beach Marriott, where I got
at least an oceanview or oceanfront room every time I've stayed there.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by milesmutt
Sad but true!

In the fifteen or so times I've been to the islands in the last ten years, I've yet to receive an upgrade to a suite.
Elite benefits are almost non-existent there, so I've learned to expect little or nothing.

The only property that has consistently upgraded me is the Wailea Beach Marriott, where I got
your spot on with the only place really upgrading across the board. For me I have been visiting the islands for business and pleasure since 1972 and each year it progressively gets worse mostly due to the equity capitol boys as well as certain Asian investors that short cut as much as possible substituting substandard whenever they can get away with it. Sad but so very true.

The glimmer of hope is the Korean investor who has purchased the Hyatt and we are all optimistic. They seem to like the Japanese believe in service and value first.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by milesmutt
Sad but true!

I've been going to Waikiki 4-5 times/yr for the last 6 yrs. I stay on very cheap rates and get upgraded to an ocean front suite at Sheraton Waikiki 90-95% of the time. If I don't get a suite, it's because they don't have one! I'm sure some of that is due to my loyalty, but it keeps me coming back! I typically go in Jan/Feb, April, Sept/Oct and early Dec.

I was curious to try the Laylow but I think that would just be foolish now.

BTW, I also stay at the Moana Surfrider but with much less upgrade success. I believe they only have 4 suites they upgrade Plats into but I'm happy with the tower rooms and their ocean view balconies. And I love the beach front lounge.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
BTW, I also stay at the Moana Surfrider but with much less upgrade success. I believe they only have 4 suites they upgrade Plats into but I'm happy with the tower rooms and their ocean view balconies. And I love the beach front lounge.
I've had decent treatment at the Moana, including an upgrade into a better room in the original part of the hotel. It's just a little overwhelmingly because it feels more the illegitmate child of a zoo and an all-inclusive resort than a wonderful old hotel.

I think there are just too many rooms, particularly with the tower. Case in point: The pool. That's the smallest pool of any major hotel I have ever seen. If you can fit 15 adults in there I'd be surprised.

I don't mind a night or two in Honolulu coming off from Asia on Delta, but if I wanted to spend a vacation in Hawaii I would either go to the North Shore of Oahu or maybe to Kona, which is really appealing.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 26, 2017 at 6:32 pm
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:59 pm

I've had decent treatment at the Moana, including an upgrade into a better room in the original part of the hotel. It's just a little overwhelmingly because it feels more the ....... child of a zoo and an all-inclusive resort than a wonderful old hotel.

I think there are just too many rooms, particularly with the tower. Case in point: The pool. That's the smallest pool of any major hotel I have ever seen. If you can fit 15 adults in there I'd be surprised.

I don't mind a night or two in Honolulu coming off from Asia on Delta, but if I wanted to spend a vacation in Hawaii I would either go to the North Shore of Oahu or maybe to Kona, which is really appealing.
About five or so years ago someone I take it bought the property and proceeded to strip the lobby of all the nice things that made it the "Mona" down with that went the service. I suspect institutional investors. But this has been a trend through out the islands. North Shore you have Turtle Bay, the old Hilton not what it once was. They neglected the building for years so when it was sold and turned into Turtle Bay instead of repairing the balconies they simply sawed them off! Nice.

Kona is nice
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
About five or so years ago someone I take it bought the property and proceeded to strip the lobby of all the nice things that made it the "Mona" down with that went the service. I suspect institutional investors. But this has been a trend through out the islands. North Shore you have Turtle Bay, the old Hilton not what it once was. They neglected the building for years so when it was sold and turned into Turtle Bay instead of repairing the balconies they simply sawed them off! Nice.

Kona is nice
I was under the impression the Moana Westin was owned by a Japanese outfit.

As for the North Shore, I meant renting a house or something like that. I ended up driving up there two days in a row from Waikiki. It was so much nicer.

I've been three times and in my opinion, Honolulu proper and Waikiki are only nice for a brief layover and to say you've been there. Otherwise, it's Niagara Falls-meets-Jersey Shore-meets-Las Vegas-meets-Mackinac Island.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:11 am

I was under the impression the Moana Westin was owned by a Japanese outfit.

As for the North Shore, I meant renting a house or something like that. I ended up driving up there two days in a row from Waikiki. It was so much nicer.

I've been three times and in my opinion, Honolulu proper and Waikiki are only nice for a brief layover and to say you've been there. Otherwise, it's Niagara Falls-meets-Jersey Shore-meets-Las Vegas-meets-Mackinac Island.
LOL Love the analogy. Honolulu is Asian centric for visitors, things change once you get to the other islands, then it becomes one's choice or preference. I really like the quiet of Kona, the Four Seasons on Maui or even the Marriott there. The Hyatt Andaz on Maui has turned into a rip off.

Mahalo
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
if I wanted to spend a vacation in Hawaii I would either go to the North Shore of Oahu or maybe to Kona, which is really appealing.
Probably my favorite place in the world. We VRBO. Usually stay in Waialua/Mokuleia. Highly recommended.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:59 am
Suspended

Honolulu is Asian centric for visitors,
And homeless-centric. Worse than Detroit, Baltimore or South Side Chicago.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And homeless-centric. Worse than Detroit, Baltimore or South Side Chicago.
Well there are worst places to be homeless than Waikiki, such as the cities you mention

And now back to the The Laylow...

Cheers.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Stayed there for two nights a couple of weeks ago. SPG options were very expensive (both points and dollars) and the FS Marriott looked tired.

I was a bit nervous after reading this thread, but we had a good experience.

Upgraded to a room at the end of the hall with a small seating area, large couch, and a day bed of sorts.

As mentioned in the Wiki, breakfast is now $15/day/person. Can be used outside of breakfast as well (we used for breakfast one day, evening drinks the other). We also got an additional $15 food certificate (I think) as our Platinum arrival gift. We also applied that to drinks at the bar.

Location is good and our limited staff interaction was positive.

Maybe we just got lucky, or maybe they're finally turning it around?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
here in HNL right now and ended up not booking the Laylow specifically due to this thread. Both myself and Mrs CALMSP were very excited that an Autograph had opened up in Waikiki, but have gone against the opportunity to stay there. I suppose if we have a one or 2 nights stay we may try it, but who knows.

However, given what the International Marketplace has become and the large amounts of new restaurants and shopping right there, the Laylow does have a great location.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mainline777
Stayed there for two nights a couple of weeks ago. SPG options were very expensive (both points and dollars) and the FS Marriott looked tired.

I was a bit nervous after reading this thread, but we had a good experience.

Upgraded to a room at the end of the hall with a small seating area, large couch, and a day bed of sorts.

As mentioned in the Wiki, breakfast is now $15/day/person. Can be used outside of breakfast as well (we used for breakfast one day, evening drinks the other). We also got an additional $15 food certificate (I think) as our Platinum arrival gift. We also applied that to drinks at the bar.

Location is good and our limited staff interaction was positive.

Maybe we just got lucky, or maybe they're finally turning it around?
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. And that the $15 breakfast credit can be used for evening drinks as well.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
To add a data point:

Just checked in here for a one night stay. Platinum with 115 nights this year and received an "upgrade" to a standard sized room on the concierge floor (aka not an upgrade). There's a basket in the room with some Kona chips, Japanese Hi-Chew candy and two pairs of Laylow sandals -- all free.

Room is very nicely adorned with mid-century furniture light pastels. Feels like I'm in Hawaii.

Breakfast will be the same as reported -- cold options along a wall by the elevators, but food vouchers offered (I took the points).

Staff has been polite and the valet quick.

Okay, time to go check out Marukame Udon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.