Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

Opening March 2017. Category 8. Has an executive lounge.

"A 1960’s Hawaiian Modern aesthetic in a lush garden surrounding sets the scene for a relaxed vacation vibe. Visitors are transported back in time through authentic mid-century furnishings and décor. Centrally located in the heart of Waikiki places you just a short walk to the ocean, restaurants, shops, and nightlife. The pool is the ultimate amenity, lush greenery, lounge seating and teak accents surround this communal gathering place.Classic cocktails, fresh fruit, a thatched roof, hanging plants, and woven lanterns create a remixed tiki vibe in close proximity to the pool. Enjoy an eclectic healthy menu of fresh fish, farm-to table dishes, craft beers on tap, and an extensive wine list in our warm greenhouse style restaurant. Memorable service moments, nostalgic details, tropical greenery, and modern comforts make for one-of a kind Hawaiian getaway."

Executive room:

This room features Executive lounge access
Open: 24 hours 7 days a week (Sharon's note: M Lounge?)
Complimentary food:
- Continental breakfast
- hors d'oeuvres
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
Located on Maikai level on floors 15 and 16.
Weekly Manager's Reception twice a week.
Continental breakfast from Lobby Espresso Cafe.
Bottled water and sodas at concierge floor.
Light snacks offered on concierge floor daily.

Valet parking: $35/day
186 rooms, 65 suites
Crib complimentary (doesn't mention complimentary on roll-away bed)

Pet policy:
Pets Welcome
Maximum 2 pets per room
Non-refundable fee: 35 USD
Non-refundable fee for additional pet: 35 USD per night
Welcome all pets 40 pounds or less, on leash, must be caged if left alone
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Thank you for posting this.

It's interesting to me that the property shows "Our Hotel" (not "Our Resort") at its official listing at Marriott.com, and that it has an executive level with a lounge.

This suggests that Gold and Platinum members will get the lounge/breakfast benefit at this property.

Then again, the Mauna Kea, Autograph Collection on the Big Island originally showed as a Hotel, not as a Resort at Marriott.com too. It seemed like mistake -- and it was. It now shows as a Resort.

Considering that the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection really is hotel-like, not resort-like, let's hope it remains classified as a Hotel.

The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection is the former Aqua Waikiki Wave after a renovation. They've been working on it for a long time, so it should be a thorough renovation, not just a reflagging. The location is in the heart of Waikiki.

The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa is much closer to Waikiki Beach than the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection. But it could be argued that the ‘Okina is better located for dining and shopping.

And the Waikiki Beach Marriott is a Resort, with no lounge/breakfast benefit.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I didn't see any pictures of the pool on the website, although it says it does have one. As a leisure traveler that's #1 for a hotel in Hawaii for us.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I didn't see any pictures of the pool on the website, although it says it does have one. As a leisure traveler that's #1 for a hotel in Hawaii for us.
The official listing at Marriott.com indicates there's an outdoor swimming pool, with towels provided. And the details posted by Sharon include, "The pool is the ultimate amenity, lush greenery, lounge seating and teak accents surround this communal gathering place."

Currently, TripAdvisor has taken its old listing for the defunct Aqua Waikiki Wave and labeled it as ‘Okina, Autograph Collection, Honolulu. (I would hope that TripAdvisor will soon wipe the old photos and old reviews because they really don't apply to a thoroughly renovated hotel with new management.)

A photo from the Aqua Waikiki Wave at TripAdvisor shows a sad, small swimming pool with a depressing pool deck. Even if the pool and its deck are stylishly rebuilt with high-end materials and surrounded by tropical flowers, it will still be small because there's no room to expand (short of tearing down an adjacent building).

Perhaps the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection will be a lovely boutique hotel and a great base for exploring Waikiki -- but I find it hard to believe that the pool will qualify as the "ultimate amenity."

If a great pool is your number one priority for a Hawaii vacation, I would look elsewhere.

Perhaps the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection will do something miraculous with its pool. But I wouldn't count on it. If the renovation included tearing down an adjacent building to create an amazing outdoor pool, I would think there would be renderings of it on the website.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:35 pm

UPDATE: I found something more encouraging about the swimming pool at the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection.

DLR Design, a firm apparently involved in the design/architecture/engineering for the renovation of the Aqua Waikiki Wave into an Autograph Collection property, has renderings of the project at its website:

http://www.dlrgroup.com/work/aqua-wa...el-renovation/

Click on the arrow on the right side of the rendering to scroll through.

The room renderings look different that what Marriott.com shows, so there's no guarantee that the pool area will look as it does in the renderings.

It's still won't be a spectacular megapool, like those found at top Hawaiian resorts across the islands, but it should be quite a bit better than what the Aqua Waikiki Wave had.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Horace
The official listing at Marriott.com indicates there's an outdoor swimming pool, with towels provided. And the details posted by Sharon include, "The pool is the ultimate amenity, lush greenery, lounge seating and teak accents surround this communal gathering place."

Currently, TripAdvisor has taken its old listing for the defunct Aqua Waikiki Wave and labeled it as ‘Okina, Autograph Collection, Honolulu. (I would hope that TripAdvisor will soon wipe the old photos and old reviews because they really don't apply to a thoroughly renovated hotel with new management.)

A photo from the Aqua Waikiki Wave at TripAdvisor shows a sad, small swimming pool with a depressing pool deck. Even if the pool and its deck are stylishly rebuilt with high-end materials and surrounded by tropical flowers, it will still be small because there's no room to expand (short of tearing down an adjacent building).

Perhaps the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection will be a lovely boutique hotel and a great base for exploring Waikiki -- but I find it hard to believe that the pool will qualify as the "ultimate amenity."

If a great pool is your number one priority for a Hawaii vacation, I would look elsewhere.

Perhaps the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection will do something miraculous with its pool. But I wouldn't count on it. If the renovation included tearing down an adjacent building to create an amazing outdoor pool, I would think there would be renderings of it on the website.
Perhaps they put it on the rooftop?

Edit: I guess not, but I don't think that's a bad looking pool from your pictures. Many pools in Waikiki are small because of space constrictions.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Perhaps they put it on the rooftop?

Edit: I guess not, but I don't think that's a bad looking pool from your pictures. Many pools in Waikiki are small because of space constrictions.
Actually, I think you're right about the rooftop!

I viewed the Aqua Waikiki Wave building with Google Maps and Bing Maps websites, as well as with the Apple Maps application.

The old pool was a tiny, ground-level pool in one corner of the property. The hotel's tower rises from a base that covers quite a bit more square footage than the tower. When it was the Waikiki Wave, the roof of the base was just a roof.

The renderings from DLR Group show the roof transformed into space for guests. The first rendering makes this clear. The other outdoor renderings all appear to involve the transformed roof.

The rendering of the pool shows a tall building, which appears to be the tower of the Westin Moana Surfrider, in the background. That means DLR Group designed a new pool where there had previously only been a roof. (The angle toward the Westin Moana Surfrider works out perfectly.) The old pool will presumably be put out of its misery.

This is really encouraging!

If they're building it as DLR Group designed it, I would agree that "The pool is the ultimate amenity" is not just marketing hyperbole. Turning the roof of the base into outdoor space, including a larger pool than before, is a brilliant design.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
It's interesting the number of reflags going on off beach in Honolulu. The Hyatt Centric, then there is the Ritz Residences fairly close. Marriott CY although a poor example.

Will be interesting to see the price point on $ and award
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
It's interesting the number of reflags going on off beach in Honolulu. The Hyatt Centric, then there is the Ritz Residences fairly close. Marriott CY although a poor example.

The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection shows as Marriott Rewards Category 8. You can already look at pricing at Marriott.com.

There are two other Rewards properties on Waikiki. The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa is also Category 8. The Courtyard Waikiki Beach is Category 7. There are also four SPG properties; they should be part of the combined program in 2018, and you can already transfer Rewards points to SPG.

Yep! Kuhio Avenue, although a fair distance away from the Waikiki beachfront, is getting a lot of attention from developers.

As noted in this thread, the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection (2299 Kuhio Ave) is an older hotel, reflagged but thoroughly renovated. I like how the developers are treating its 1960s Hawaiian Modern design aesthetic as an asset, not a liability.

Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach (2255 Kuhio Ave) is adaptive reuse of the former Waikiki Trade Center, a 22-story office and retail building,

Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach (Kalaimoku St at Kuhio Ave) is a new-construction 38-story tower.

The International Marketplace (on the same large block as the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection) has just been transformed from a scruffy collection of merchandise kiosks and food counters to a fancy shopping mall. They kept the wonderful old banyan tree.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49

$249 advance purchase/$269 regular rate/40k MR points available starting May 1st.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
The ‘Okina, Autograph Collection shows as Marriott Rewards Category 8. You can already look at pricing at Marriott.com.

There are two other Rewards properties on Waikiki. The Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa is also Category 8. The Courtyard Waikiki Beach is Category 7. There are also four SPG properties; they should be part of the combined program in 2018, and you can already transfer Rewards points to SPG.

Yep! Kuhio Avenue, although a fair distance away from the Waikiki beachfront, is getting a lot of attention from developers.

As noted in this thread, the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection (2299 Kuhio Ave) is an older hotel, reflagged but thoroughly renovated. I like how the developers are treating its 1960s Hawaiian Modern design aesthetic as an asset, not a liability.

Hyatt Centric Waikiki Beach (2255 Kuhio Ave) is adaptive reuse of the former Waikiki Trade Center, a 22-story office and retail building,

Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach (Kalaimoku St at Kuhio Ave) is a new-construction 38-story tower.

The International Marketplace (on the same large block as the ‘Okina, Autograph Collection) has just been transformed from a scruffy collection of merchandise kiosks and food counters to a fancy shopping mall. They kept the wonderful old banyan tree.

Thank you for your rundown I have been doing business in the islands since 1975 in the construction business use to know all the players but that has changed a lot over the years with equity Capital flying in!! Plus my wife is front Honolulu

My observation was just that there appears to be movement into the older core of the off beach area near the canal. I think we all agree the CY was and still is a failure. In the old days that flay would never have been let.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
love it! Granted, its not necessarily facing the water, but always welcome some more options in Waikiki. Even though we now have some access to the SPG properties.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Look forward to the first trip report after it opens.

Cheers.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Look forward to the first trip report after it opens.

Cheers.
X2
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Would Golds be able to access the lounge? or is it considered a resort property like every other Marriott in the islands?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.