Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Writing The Laylow is useless. They are obviously giving the middle-finger to elites. And I don't think saying "they're new to Marriott" is a defense or explanation. It's a brand new hotel. They were never affiliated with another program.

I would write Marriott customer care. Here is the email address for a supervisor:

Marriott Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected] >

Also, be sure to report the hotel's middle-finger to elites on Trip Advisor.
I think a review on Trip Advisor is far more damaging to the hotel than writing Marriott. You get a broader readership there. I recently wrote a review of the Westin in Tucson, Get this a resort 300 a night and they have plastic glasses in the room wrapped in cellphone ! AND to add insult to injury the next day the maid did not replace the used plastic glasses. I had 500 readers of that review
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I think a review on Trip Advisor is far more damaging to the hotel than writing Marriott. You get a broader readership there. I recently wrote a review of the Westin in Tucson, Get this a resort 300 a night and they have plastic glasses in the room wrapped in cellphone ! AND to add insult to injury the next day the maid did not replace the used plastic glasses. I had 500 readers of that review
Except after a few days it is replaced with newer reviews. How many people go back more than a month or two when reading reviews? If you want a hotel to actually change its way you have to write corporate.

I actually don't mind plastic-wrapped glasses because I don't trust that wine glasses or coffee mugs are actually and properly washed.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I actually don't mind plastic-wrapped glasses because I don't trust that wine glasses or coffee mugs are actually and properly washed.
Sorry to veer off topic, but if you glance at housekeeping's cart in the hallway, you should see they have a collection of clean glasses and dirty glasses. Using the cart, dirty glasses are brought to a dish washer downstairs and replaced with fresh ones.

If you don't see the glasses on the cart, then you have reason to be suspicious. I suppose you may not trust the dishwasher downstairs, but at that point, you might as well not trust a glass's cleanliness at a restaurant.

I agree that drinking out of a plastic cup at a luxury hotel would feel odd.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Sorry to veer off topic, but if you glance at housekeeping's cart in the hallway, you should see they have a collection of clean glasses and dirty glasses. Using the cart, dirty glasses are brought to a dish washer downstairs and replaced with fresh ones.

If you don't see the glasses on the cart, then you have reason to be suspicious. I suppose you may not trust the dishwasher downstairs, but at that point, you might as well not trust a glass's cleanliness at a restaurant.

I agree that drinking out of a plastic cup at a luxury hotel would feel odd.
I'll stick to plastic:

Those sparkling glasses hanging out by the sink ... chances are they haven’t left the room in ages. It seems hotel mugs and glasses are some of the dirtiest and most dangerous items in the room. Why? Because as hidden camera after hidden camera has proven, glasses are too often cleaned in the bathroom sink (with no soap), dried with a towel, and then replaced — sometimes with those pretty little paper tops that make you think they’ve been appropriately sanitised when they haven’t.

And it gets worse. Studies show that a common hotel practice is cleaning glasses with toxic chemicals like window cleaner, or while wearing the same gloves worn while scrubbing the toilets moments before. On top of that, the towels used to the dry the glasses are often dirty.

Some maids have been caught on hidden camera cleaning glasses with used towels in the bathroom, or the same towels used to dry surfaces like the toilet seat. Oh, and a hotel employee confessed on Whisper that some pee in the glasses, dry them, and set them back on the counter.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...b1f79bc8052c28
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BusinessTr...ory?id=4277067
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Those sparkling glasses hanging out by the sink ... chances are they haven’t left the room in ages. It seems hotel mugs and glasses are some of the dirtiest and most dangerous items in the room. Why? Because as hidden camera after hidden camera has proven, glasses are too often cleaned in the bathroom sink (with no soap), dried with a towel, and then replaced — sometimes with those pretty little paper tops that make you think they’ve been appropriately sanitised when they haven’t.

And it gets worse. Studies show that a common hotel practice is cleaning glasses with toxic chemicals like window cleaner, or while wearing the same gloves worn while scrubbing the toilets moments before. On top of that, the towels used to the dry the glasses are often dirty.

Some maids have been caught on hidden camera cleaning glasses with used towels in the bathroom, or the same towels used to dry surfaces like the toilet seat. Oh, and a hotel employee confessed on Whisper that some pee in the glasses, dry them, and set them back on the counter.
Mmmm! Tasty!

David
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:40 pm

Except after a few days it is replaced with newer reviews. How many people go back more than a month or two when reading reviews? If you want a hotel to actually change its way you have to write corporate.

I'll send you mine ! Years ago I am in the RC Hyatt Sacramento in the morning and there was for the first time a Starbucks coffee machine. My first encounter in club rooms, I looked at the gentlemen next to me commenting I have worked all my life not to drink coffee from 7/11 or out of a machine and here I am in Sacramento drinking out of a machine! Next trip there was a thermos with fresh coffee! I will save the cups for you !!!!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Honestly, I think pretty much every major hotel brand in Hawaii doesn't care about elite recognition mainly because of the # of elites that visit the islands. There are also a lot of people who pay for oceanview rooms and suites so upgrades will be tough.
Agree.

Airline upgrades are common for the lowest tier elite frequent flyers. I've been on flights out of Hawaii with empty first-class seats because there was nobody left for Delta to upgrade.
Disagree re: upgrades for lowest tier FF. Heck, on some routes even top tiers aren't going to necessarily going to get an upgrade (& it doesn't have to be just Hawaii routes). Every flight I've been on to/from Hawaii F is always full & it isn't w/ silvers.

Back to the Laylow, if the property refused a 4pm I'd push back since it's not officially a resort including on the Marriott website. NYC hotels are implementing destination fees (grr), but they're not claiming to be resorts & honor 4pms for example.

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree.

Disagree re: upgrades for lowest tier FF. Heck, on some routes even top tiers aren't going to necessarily going to get an upgrade (& it doesn't have to be just Hawaii routes). Every flight I've been on to/from Hawaii F is always full & it isn't w/ silvers.

Back to the Laylow, if the property refused a 4pm I'd push back since it's not officially a resort including on the Marriott website. NYC hotels are implementing destination fees (grr), but they're not claiming to be resorts & honor 4pms for example.

Cheers.
The worst offender in the Islands today is the Maui Hyatt Andaz then the Hyatt on Oahu follows right behind them, over all the years going to the islands for business and pleasure these two are the worst. The Andaz is such a success they seem not to care. Westin and HHV actually have been the best.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:38 pm

I've been sifting through this thread, and not sure if I found an answer to my question: as a platinum, I would get the $15/p food credit, but will I get access to the executive "lounge"?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by erics2356
I've been sifting through this thread, and not sure if I found an answer to my question: as a platinum, I would get the $15/p food credit, but will I get access to the executive "lounge"?
Since it's just an area my guess is yes.

Cheers.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since it's just an area my guess is yes.

Cheers.
I think their required to however from whats been posted not sure what your really getting. Hyatt is the last one left with a fairly decent lounge, HHV is a nightmare more like day care and if your not there first thing in the am forget about a paper. Too bad but it's all about roi to the equity capital people
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I don't remember where I read it. It was probably somewhere in this giant thread. It could have been somewhere else.

I seem to recall reading that only those guests who have rooms on the "Executive level" have access to the coffee and breakfast pastries in the hallway (not an actual lounge) on that floor. The sparse breakfast offering is laughably described at the Marriott.com entry of The Laylow as "Complimentary food" and "Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages."

If that's the case, then Gold and Platinum guests would only have access if they either pay for an "Executive level" room or happen to be upgraded to it.

Yeah, it would nice to be able to use the Executive level hallway for a simple breakfast, and then still have $15 per person ($30 per couple) as a daily food & beverage credit, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Originally, when The Laylow opened, the box of pastries and the coffee dispenser in the hallway were supposed to satisfy Marriott's Autograph Collection hotel Gold/Platinum lounge/breakfast benefit. Elite guests complained. I would not be surprised if Marriott corporate became involved. The Laylow switched to a $15 per Elite guest (plus one) credit, which is enough for actual continental breakfasts from the hotel's restaurant menu. The added bonus is the credit is good all day, not just at breakfast time.

I assume the elevators are now programmed so that only those with room key cards for rooms on the Executive level can go to that floor.

Last edited by Horace; Nov 7, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I think their required to however from whats been posted not sure what your really getting. Hyatt is the last one left with a fairly decent lounge, HHV is a nightmare more like day care and if your not there first thing in the am forget about a paper. Too bad but it's all about roi to the equity capital people
Hmm, have you checked out the Sheraton Waikiki or Moana Surfrider lounges? Both are excellent and as a matter of fact, charge US$125/night for access if you are not a Platinum member. Sheraton's is on the 30th floor with an outstanding view of Diamond Head. Moana's is right on the beach with an outdoor seating area which is wonderful for sipping your wine at night or having breakfast in the morning. Beer and wine are complimentary and they both serve hot appetizers as well as a hot breakfast.

However, I haven't been to the Hyatt lounge, so perhaps it is even better.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
You could call them and ask.

David
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:49 am
Suspended

The best value, if you don't have to be in Waikiki, is getting a rental car and staying at the Courtyard on the North Shore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.