Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Starwood hotels, which are part of Marriott now, generally offer more perks than the Marriott hotels in resorts and leisure-centric destinations like Hawaii. If you have Marriott status, it automatically matches to Starwood status. For Honolulu, Starwood hotels are the better choice.
You better believe I would have used my 7-night certificate at a Starwood property had it been available for any of them!

I have to agree that Marriott is sadly less than stellar on Oahu.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by milesmutt
You better believe I would have used my 7-night certificate at a Starwood property had it been available for any of them!

I agree with you regarding the Marriott chain in the islands. They have "dropped their pants" when it comes to basic requirements for new properties allowing substandard remodeled buildings allowed to fly the flag, case in point the CY which was the worst repurpose I have ever seen so much so its be "refreshed" several times since due to complaints. The Laylow is yet another example of simple greed and the rush to have "room count" in the islands. Cleary they have lost their direction, the family surely would have never allowed trash properties like these into the system in their current condition AND management.

For the record I have been in the hotel construction industry for over 35 years grew up in DC know/knew the family.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I agree with you regarding the Marriott chain in the islands. They have "dropped their pants" when it comes to basic requirements for new properties allowing substandard remodeled buildings allowed to fly the flag, case in point the CY which was the worst repurpose I have ever seen so much so its be "refreshed" several times since due to complaints. The Laylow is yet another example of simple greed and the rush to have "room count" in the islands. Cleary they have lost their direction, the family surely would have never allowed trash properties like these into the system in their current condition AND management.

For the record I have been in the hotel construction industry for over 35 years grew up in DC know/knew the family.
Honolulu is tough because the Waikiki area is so over-crowded. At least Marriott, through its acquisition of Starwood, can now say it has real beach hotels in Honolulu.

There are only so many true beach properties. In this case, The Laylow is a city hotel that is acting like a resort (with the resort/amenity fee being a prime example). I would stay there if they would like what they are -- an upscale city hotel -- instead of playing fast and loose and jipping elite status guests.

Bad hotels can survive in locales like Honolulu because (1) most of the guests aren't elite-level guests and (2) many, if not most, guests will never return as Hawaii is generally a special occasion trip (engagement, honeymoon, anniversary).

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 23, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

As is Hilton... and Hyatt... and IHG... and I'm sorry, but SPG only looks good by comparison*.

*I've never actually been to Waikiki and am strictly going off Tripadvisor/Flyertalk/Blogs.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:01 am

I don't generally spend as much time on Oahu when traveling to Hawaii, but I've stayed at the Hilton and Marriott Waikiki. I agree that the Starwood hotels look better, but the rates are much higher than the ones I'm finding for the other hotels. I would consider spending the extra money if I were staying in Oahu longer, but most of my beach time is on the other islands.

But back to the Laylow: after reading the reviews in this thread, my SO and I switched a couple one-night stays at the beginning and end of our next Hawaii trip to a different hotel instead. It also didn't help that the hotel added the resort/amenity fee after we made our reservation, as I mentioned earlier in the thread (I think). I know we probably could have gotten it waived, but given the hotel's attitude, it seemed prudent to just stay elsewhere.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by windhund
It also didn't help that the hotel added the resort/amenity fee after we made our reservation, as I mentioned earlier in the thread (I think).
Is that even legal?

Originally Posted by windhund
I know we probably could have gotten it waived, but given the hotel's attitude, it seemed prudent to just stay elsewhere.
This may be the only hotel that actually warrants an official boycott.

If I were you, I'd write Marriott (the email address was posted earlier in this thread) and tell them how you wanted to stay here but the unsavory business practices of The Laylow resulted in you going elsewhere.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:05 pm

Is that even legal?

If I were you, I'd write Marriott (the email address was posted earlier in this thread) and tell them how you wanted to stay here but the unsavory business practices of The Laylow resulted in you going elsewhere.
I think thats a good idea however make sure you have actually stayed there. Adds a tiny bot of creditability.

Even the Starwood hotels are a bit in decline. The Westin is nothing of it's past, the Sheraton is just beaten everyday by guests ( thats what it's for) but they are terribly slow to keep up. The Pink Palace is the Pink Palace. The real issue is the Equity Capitol folks that are sucking the blood out. Thankfully the Hyatt was been sold to a Asian owner who typically run these like real hotels with service and quality. It was that way when it was owned by a Japanese businessman. Limos and good restaurants not the lame excuse they have now and service real service.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:21 pm
Suspended

I think thats a good idea however make sure you have actually stayed there. Adds a tiny bot of creditability.

Even the Starwood hotels are a bit in decline. The Westin is nothing of it's past, the Sheraton is just beaten everyday by guests ( thats what it's for) but they are terribly slow to keep up. The Pink Palace is the Pink Palace. The real issue is the Equity Capitol folks that are sucking the blood out. Thankfully the Hyatt was been sold to a Asian owner who typically run these like real hotels with service and quality. It was that way when it was owned by a Japanese businessman. Limos and good restaurants not the lame excuse they have now and service real service.
It's a perfect example of quantity over quality. There are simply too many hotels in a relatively small area for any of them to be truly exceptional. Moreover, I doubt few of the hotels can afford to go offline for the period required to substantively renovate beyond a quick paint job or anything.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:25 pm

Is that even legal?

I am not a lawyer but from a consumer standpoint, it's definitely unsavory!

I am guessing the fee was an IT issue; when they added the fee it got added to all bookings. In the past, we'v had no issue getting a fee waived that was not in place at the time of booking.

And thanks for the reminder: I don't think my SO (Marriott Plat and who made the booking) has written to Marriott yet!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:07 pm

It's a perfect example of quantity over quality. There are simply too many hotels in a relatively small area for any of them to be truly exceptional. Moreover, I doubt few of the hotels can afford to go offline for the period required to substantively renovate beyond a quick paint job or anything.
From inside the business these "refresh" are fairly fast to do, no hotel other than the Ritz in Paris go completely offline. Their done floor by floor once the first few are done they tend to go quickly. It's all about cash. I know hotels that leak like a piece of swiss cheese but sit there churning money
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:09 pm

Oh, don't get me started on the CY. I burned (more like wasted) a 7-night cert there and moved after 4 days
to the just-opened Hyatt Centric nearby because I couldn't stand that dump anymore.

I'm gonna take a leap of faith and hope the Laylow doesn't disappoint.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:22 am

Oh, don't get me started on the CY. I burned (more like wasted) a 7-night cert there and moved after 4 days
to the just-opened Hyatt Centric nearby because I couldn't stand that dump anymore.

Well I would prepare a "plan B" and have it ready. Hell the Sheraton appears to be better than this place. And that's saying a lot.

Keep us posted
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond

I'm sure you will be fine, don't let a few bad comments decide what you want to do.

Surely my great stay was not an anomaly,

although we all would be interested to see what your own personal opinion is as well.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:14 am

Well I would prepare a "plan B" and have it ready. Hell the Sheraton appears to be better than this place. And that's saying a lot.

Keep us posted
Will do. I always have Hyatt to fall back on.

Originally Posted by sutho
I'm sure you will be fine, don't let a few bad comments decide what you want to do.

Surely my great stay was not an anomaly,

although we all would be interested to see what your own personal opinion is as well.
I agree. TA and Marriott reviews look pretty good, with just a few negative remarks.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Will do. I always have Hyatt to fall back on.

I agree. TA and Marriott reviews look pretty good, with just a few negative remarks.
Well, when you have no status and aren't a frequent traveler then the disingenuous conduct of The Laylow management doesn't strike you as unusual or stand out as bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.