Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Maybe this place should be renamed "The Lame-O".

David
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
There is a basic core of service and competence a hotel must have before it can try to be trendy, unique or different... or Autograph. The Lay Low fails in the basic core. Marriott should be embarrassed to associate with such core unprofessionalism and should take immediate steps to use its vast resources (now with Starwood) to bring some competence to the Lay Low.

Some data points:
Only 2 elevators = long waits
Elevator: no key needed, everyone can walk up to any floor
My room key didn't work, had to call down for a functional one
"Food" on the Executive Level is like dry dog food
Not given room type booked, actually had a downgrade, and clearly no upgrades for MR Platinum members
Pool doesn't appear to get any sun as it's surrounded by a parking structure or a tall building on each side
E Komo Mai Amenity box is nice, fun branded flip flops but does not make up for the resort fee
Nothing in gift shop has price tags; nice stuff but how do they expect to sell anything without price tags or signs listing prices?
Exec floor: coffee machine uses milk powder, 'filtered' water tap is just that, not even refrigerated, no hot or carbonated option. Didn't seem to be refreshed very often (my room was literally next to the pantry area)
Great bed, a little harder than a Westin Heavenly bed but overall great comfort and sleep
Bath amenities great (no parabens, etc.)
Entrance to restaurant is awkward, not clear how to get there so most people walk between 2 plants. No signage.
No DnD sign in room
Left bedside lamp non-functional
No Mormon literature, nor bible, just books on Hawaiian and Surf Culture
Time to email Marriott customer care. You should have demanded compensation per Marriott terms and conditions if your guaranteed room wasn't provided by the property.

[email protected]
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Time to email Marriott customer care. You should have demanded compensation per Marriott terms and conditions if your guaranteed room wasn't provided by the property.

[email protected]
Best post yet! I know if I had been foolish enough to have stayed here I would have.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

[email protected]
I'm an SPG person so unfamiliar with what kind of compensation I'd be entitled to?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I'm an SPG person so unfamiliar with what kind of compensation I'd be entitled to?
Marriott Rewards® Elite Benefits Guarantee: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...s/guarantee.mi
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by little_dc
I talked with two so called Managers. They could care less. The GM post cut and paste responses on TA about the lack of Elite services.
This is what one of the managers has to say about the breakfast:

We do provide a continental breakfast up on the Ho’okipa levels 15th and 16th floor daily which you had access too. As we are an autograph collection that is our twist of a lounge, “as we are exactly like nothing else” as an autograph we are not held to have your typical roomed lounge. All is guaranteed is that we provide you a continental breakfast if not in our lounge in our restaurant. As we have the ho’okipa level this covers all requirements.

There you have it - people that know they are BS'ing elites.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
I posted a review on TA about my stay and the lack of any elites. It was removed. I contacted TA about this (talk about a hard task). I got a human who told the Hotel reported me as a non-guest. I provided a copy of my bill and now it is back up. Looks like the hotel is working hard to remove post about the lack of a real lounge and the BS they fee us.

Shameful! on this hotel and TA for just removing a review because the hotel reports it.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:20 am

A lot of these "policies" & B.S. likely originate with the owners/developers and Marriott is probably unaware. Any info as to who the owners are?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I hope those that have stayed there continue to hammer this property on TripAdvisor, and be prepared to show a folio proving you stayed there in case the property tries to have your reviews taken down. Also, if you're willing to take the time, I'd write Marriott HQ w/ complaints (and pictures). This property is not acting like a true Autograph/Marriott standard.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by JetAway
A lot of these "policies" & B.S. likely originate with the owners/developers and Marriott is probably unaware. Any info as to who the owners are?
I have tried to find out myself. I have an idea but not going public. Will dig some more

If I remember correctly wasn't there another attempt at a "Autograph Collection" over by the HHV that failed miserably ? Many similarities to this wannabe.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
"The complete renovation and development was led by owner and leading investment company Rockbridge along with its affiliate hotel development company, RBHD, who managed the project."

"......The Laylow is managed by Pyramid Hotel Group."

http://news.marriott.com/2017/05/oah...-era-honolulu/
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
If I remember correctly wasn't there another attempt at a "Autograph Collection" over by the HHV that failed miserably ? Many similarities to this wannabe.
The hotel over by Hilton Hawaiian Village was an EDITION property -- an inauspicious start to the EDITION brand

It was originally part of the Ilikai. It's now The Modern Honolulu.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

If it's not owned or managed by Marriott what is the Marriott connection? Is it simply a licensing relationship (i.e., they get to call themselves the "Autograph Collection" and pay a fee to Marriott)?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
This is what one of the managers has to say about the breakfast:

We do provide a continental breakfast up on the Ho’okipa levels 15th and 16th floor daily which you had access too. As we are an autograph collection that is our twist of a lounge, “as we are exactly like nothing else” as an autograph we are not held to have your typical roomed lounge. All is guaranteed is that we provide you a continental breakfast if not in our lounge in our restaurant. As we have the ho’okipa level this covers all requirements.

There you have it - people that know they are BS'ing elites.
The manager has twisted the Autograph Collection slogan ("Exactly Like Nothing Else") to mean something entirely different than what it's supposed to mean. It's supposed to refer to the "distinctive personalities" of the "one-of-a-kind hotels and resorts" within a collection. It doesn't mean that a property is free to ignore Marriott's Autograph Collection standards, such as Elite benefits.

The Autograph Collection properties I've stayed at have sought to exceed expectations. When I stayed at The Henry (Dearborn, MI), it had one of the best domestic lounges. The Mayflower (Washington, DC) had a lounge breakfast as good as domestic JW Marriott properties. The Raphael (Kansas City, MO) allowed me to order anything off a menu of very creative breakfasts in the restaurant.

Apparently, The Laylow, Autograph Collection thinks it's good business to fail to meet expectations.

Perhaps, The Laylow could cut the Platinum welcome gift from 500 points to just 100 points. After all, that would also be "Exactly Like Nothing Else," just as they've cut the lounge/breakfast benefit to a shadow of what it should be.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If it's not owned or managed by Marriott what is the Marriott connection? Is it simply a licensing relationship (i.e., they get to call themselves the "Autograph Collection" and pay a fee to Marriott)?
Most hotels (of all brands) are franchisees & not owned by the hotel companies. The hotel companies usually have brand standards. This hotel seems to not give two patooties about the standard of Autograph Collection or Marriott & is basically saying sod off to anyone complaining.

This needs to brought to Marriott's attention, especially when the property is trying to get negative reviews deleted on TripAdvisor saying that people have not stayed at the property when they have indeed stayed.

I really think this is more a local management issue than even a franchise issue.

If you look at this, the Pyramid Hotel Group owns/franchises a # of Marriott, SPG, Hilton, IHG, Carlton, & other companies. Some of the ones on the list get good reviews/honor elite bennies, etc.

This sounds like a rogue GM & staff.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.