Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
The published breakfast benefit is the same at Autograph Collection as it is at "Marriott" branded properties. This property is just choosing to cheap out in its definition of "continental breakfast."

Waikiki is a relative wasteland for elite benefits in virtually all programs. Reduce expectations accordingly.
It would be easy enough for Marriott to define "continental" as fresh coffee, juice, water, a selection of pastries and bread, cereal, milk, yogurt, jam, fruit preserves and honey. Simple enough.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It would be easy enough for Marriott to define "continental" as fresh coffee, juice, water, a selection of pastries and bread, cereal, milk, yogurt, jam, fruit preserves and honey. Simple enough.
You could say the same about any number of things they have elected not to do.

All of the major chain properties in Waikiki have their particular flaws. Pick your poison.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott press release re: opening of property:

http://news.marriott.com/2017/05/oah...-era-honolulu/

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Marriott press release re: opening of property:

http://news.marriott.com/2017/05/oah...-era-honolulu/

Cheers.
I doubt the hotel will change its skimpy "continental breakfast" unless it is pilloried by gold and platinum elites via Trip Advisor comments as well as through emails to corporate Marriott and to the hotel's general manager himself.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
You could say the same about any number of things they have elected not to do.

All of the major chain properties in Waikiki have their particular flaws. Pick your poison.
Most of it depends on the actual ownership of the property. Generally equity capitol will follow the "rules" pretty much straight down the line. Some offshore ownership actually pride themselves and their properties in how they manage them, others skimp use not so standard products etc in their properties.

Perfect example would be there Hyatt when the Japanese business owner had it it was run much like you see in Asia or Europe. GS bought and sucked the life out of the property then they sold to Blackstone who continued the downward spiral. Now we have a new set of Asian owners and will see what happens

Note this comment is highly sanitized politically but those of you who travel a lot know what I have posted.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's disappointing but I'm guessing the management can get away with it because Autograph Collection hotels are "independent" -- whatever "independent" means in terms of brand standards. With that said, the two previous Autograph Collection properties that I've stayed at recently -- the Sortis Hotel in Panama and the Lexington in New York City -- were both very generous with their treatment of a platinum....
We were treated well, with a nice substantial "continental" breakfast, at two Autograph Collection hotels in Spain last year. Then we went to the Davenport Grand in Spokane and had arguably the worst continental breakfast ever offered a plat (that is, until Izzik visited the Laylow!). We still joke about the juice and dry scone a year later. We don't choose hotels based on breakfast alone, but gosh some of them get it right and others don't, and like many of you, I wish there was consistency across this "brand".
Old May 13, 2017, 8:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Here is the nook.

Delightful.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Wow - that's pretty sad. I'd definitely mention it to management/reviews/etc.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by izzik
Here is the nook.

Delightful.
I rest my case!
Old May 14, 2017, 11:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wow - that's pretty sad. I'd definitely mention it to management/reviews/etc.

Cheers.
Not only is it sad, it's misleading.
The Laylow offers "Executive level" rooms with "Special Benefits: Complimentary food and Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages".
Executive level implies there is a Marriott lounge with some kind of food offering.

Well, that "nook" is the Executive level special benefit. Completely misleading.
I spoke with the front desk and the guy said that it's what's been "negotiated".

This hotel is ideal for non-elite guests on leisure trips. Not for business travelers and not for Marriott elites.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:21 pm

The Laylow offers "Executive level" rooms with "Special Benefits: Complimentary food and Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages".
Executive level implies there is a Marriott lounge with some kind of food offering.

Well, that "nook" is the Executive level special benefit. Completely misleading.
I spoke with the front desk and the guy said that it's what's been "negotiated".

This hotel is ideal for non-elite guests on leisure trips. Not for business travelers and not for Marriott elites.
X2
Old May 14, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

Waikiki is a relative wasteland for elite benefits in virtually all programs. Reduce expectations accordingly.
Now that SPG is an option, you should consider Sheraton Waikiki or Westin Moana Surfrider. Both properties are on the beach and have Club Lounges which offer hot breakfast, evening appetizers and free beer/wine. SW's lounge is on 35th (?) floor and offers spectacular views of beach and Diamond Head. MS lounge is on ground floor and has an outdoor terrace which is wonderful for eating outside. (SW sells lounge access for $125/night but it's free for Platinums. Not sure of the amount but I expect MS will be the same.)

SW offers one of the best pools in Waikiki (Edge infinity pool) and there is a row of preferred chairs reserved for Plat guests. The Plat welcome amenity is a paper bag that you fill yourself at the gift shop.

You have options!
Old May 14, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Now that SPG is an option, you should consider Sheraton Waikiki or Westin Moana Surfrider. Both properties are on the beach and have Club Lounges which offer hot breakfast, evening appetizers and free beer/wine. SW's lounge is on 35th (?) floor and offers spectacular views of beach and Diamond Head. MS lounge is on ground floor and has an outdoor terrace which is wonderful for eating outside. (SW sells lounge access for $125/night but it's free for Platinums. Not sure of the amount but I expect MS will be the same.)

SW offers one of the best pools in Waikiki (Edge infinity pool) and there is a row of preferred chairs reserved for Plat guests. The Plat welcome amenity is a paper bag that you fill yourself at the gift shop.

You have options!
Excellent Point
Old May 15, 2017, 3:44 pm

I would agree with your last statement.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rifleman69
I would agree with your last statement.
Sadly for all of us this is becoming more and more common place in the hospitality industry. Not like the old days when there was a real Marriott at the helm. now it's all about "rooms" and more "rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.