Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It does.

Ok, I just called the property in Hawaii. They are NOT a resort.

However, they have a 'destination fee of $25. The fee includes: Amenity basket - slippers, local goodies, candy, poolside treats whatever that is, $50 activity credit which I think includes cruiser bikes (first come, first served), beach & pool towels, poolside cabanas for free, 2 bathrobes/room free (I scortched her on that one) & nightly entertainment, also something about local calls, etc.

She & I went back/forth & I went about ballistic when she told me they were an Autograph Collection & not the same as Marriott. I (rightly) informed her that I & other elites know exactly what an Autograph Collection is & what it's required to provide. I also told her that other Autographs do a better job.

We went back/forth on the breakfast & she said they changed. I said they changed because they were getting their arse beat up by elites & Marriott probably stepped in. Also that since their website still said things that weren't true, that they better get it changed soon or they would be in doo-doo.

It's really, really rare for me to lose my temper w/ hotel staff but I came pretty close. However, she's just the messenger.

Cheers.
Ha, probably the same person I spoke to yesterday.

​​​Pool side treats is literally water with bits of fruit in it,

She never mentioned anything about a $50 activity credit.

Robes for free? Free to use when at hotel, or free to take?

Also for a small pool, surprisingly not many people are using it.
Maybe something to do with the rates starting from $370 a night!​​​

Checked out the SPG resorts earlier, will definitely be doing them next time, hopefully they will be part of the marriott 7 night travel packages by 2019.

One thing ​​​​to note, at checkin they gave me 2 $15 food and beverage credits for each day of stay, so received 14 of them in total.
Can potentially use all of them on the same day I suppose.

​​
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Funny while the reviews here are negative, the TripAdvisor ratings for this hotel are actually decent. It actually has a better score than the FS Marriott which has always treated me well in 30-40 stays (but none in the last year).

Why is that?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Funny while the reviews here are negative, the TripAdvisor ratings for this hotel are actually decent. It actually has a better score than the FS Marriott which has always treated me well in 30-40 stays (but none in the last year).

Why is that?
One would have to look at the actual reviewer and make sure their real then see how many reviews they have written. I would not put it pass this hotel to post their own reviews,
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
One would have to look at the actual reviewer and make sure their real then see how many reviews they have written. I would not put it pass this hotel to post their own reviews,
It's mostly non-elites -- people who don't realize they're being taken. Plus, it's brand new (basically), unlike the older hotels.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:57 pm

So I know some of you have your backs up about this hotel,
But I just completed ​​​my stay here and I thought the hotel was great.

​​​​​​I stay about 80 nights a year at the various Marriott brands, so not a newbie on hotels.

Got upgraded ​​​as a platinum to a corner suite, which had two balconies and a cool breakfast nook area, enough room for 2 adults and 3 children.

I thought ​​​​​​the $30 a day to be used on anything is a nice touch, some days we used it for alcohol, other days for breakfast.

Also didn​​​t get charged the $25 a day 'resort fee' (or whatever they called it), although I was staying on a 7 day travel package.

Every ​​staff member was very accommodating and helpful.

I also ​​​​​​like the modern retro feel of the hotel.

Remember, this hotel is only 4 months in operation, and it looks like they have been listening to some of the complaints, although I'm sure there still needs to be some more minor changes.

The location​​​​ of the hotel suited us as well, next door to international marketplace, and also cheap great food at the udon place across the road.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sutho
So I know some of you have your backs up about this hotel,
But I just completed ​​​my stay here and I thought the hotel was great.

​​​​​​I stay about 80 nights a year at the various Marriott brands, so not a newbie on hotels.

Got upgraded ​​​as a platinum to a corner suite, which had two balconies and a cool breakfast nook area, enough room for 2 adults and 3 children.

I thought ​​​​​​the $30 a day to be used on anything is a nice touch, some days we used it for alcohol, other days for breakfast.

Also didn​​​t get charged the $25 a day 'resort fee' (or whatever they called it), although I was staying on a 7 day travel package.

Every ​​staff member was very accommodating and helpful.

I also ​​​​​​like the modern retro feel of the hotel.

Remember, this hotel is only 4 months in operation, and it looks like they have been listening to some of the complaints, although I'm sure there still needs to be some more minor changes.

The location​​​​ of the hotel suited us as well, next door to international marketplace, and also cheap great food at the udon place across the road.
That's great to hear, and thanks for the info.

I'm contemplating a 7-night stay here (hotel/air package as well) in February and was going to compare it to the FS Marriott there.

Anything but that dump of a Courtyard nearby has got to be better.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:46 pm

Sutho, I just booked the Laylow for a 7-night stay in February using my package certificate as well,
but my reservation online shows the lame destination fee x 7 nights.

Did your reservation also initially have this, only to be waived during your stay?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by milesmutt
Sutho, I just booked the Laylow for a 7-night stay in February using my package certificate as well,

Did your reservation also initially have this, only to be waived during your stay?

Thanks!
There is no way this hotel is worth a destination or resort fee. Seriously. The pool itself is reason No. 1. It is so small and gets almost zero sun. You would be much better off staying at the full-service Marriott, transferring points to Starwood, or (better yet) doing a rental apartment for the week.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:51 am

Thanks!
Yes, the initial reservation showed the destination fee each day, but was waived during the stay.
We didn't request to have it waived either.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:36 am

Yes, the initial reservation showed the destination fee each day, but was waived during the stay.
We didn't request to have it waived either.
Thanks Sutho!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There is no way this hotel is worth a destination or resort fee. Seriously. The pool itself is reason No. 1. It is so small and gets almost zero sun. You would be much better off staying at the full-service Marriott, transferring points to Starwood, or (better yet) doing a rental apartment for the week.
Yeah, I was on the fence for a while between the FS Marriott and the Laylow. Ultimately decided the rooms at FS were just a little too dated.

The pool isn't all that important to us, and is the perfect size for my eight year-old.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeah, I was on the fence for a while between the FS Marriott and the Laylow. Ultimately decided the rooms at FS were just a little too dated.

The pool isn't all that important to us, and is the perfect size for my eight year-old.
I made the same decision; top priority for me is having a clean and stylish room. All else being equal, I would rather have a small room at the Laylow than an a big bland/outdated room someplace else. Based on my research, the only hotels in the area that offer "true" VIP treatment to elites are the ones who need to, due to the lack of demand otherwise. There are surprisingly few hotels around here that keep their rooms updated; even the "luxury" hotels are offenders.

Hawaii generally seems pretty skimpy on elite benefits, regardless of property/brand. This may be sacrilegious to say on FT, but I believe the best strategy is to book the hotel you actually want to be in, expect zero perks, and be happy with whatever you get beyond that.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Hawaii generally seems pretty skimpy on elite benefits, regardless of property/brand.
The Starwood hotels, which are part of Marriott now, generally offer more perks than the Marriott hotels in resorts and leisure-centric destinations like Hawaii. If you have Marriott status, it automatically matches to Starwood status. For Honolulu, Starwood hotels are the better choice.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
^
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Starwood hotels, which are part of Marriott now, generally offer more perks than the Marriott hotels in resorts and leisure-centric destinations like Hawaii. If you have Marriott status, it automatically matches to Starwood status. For Honolulu, Starwood hotels are the better choice.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.