Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Mid-Tier, Marriott PP/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by milesmutt
So I just finished my 7-night package stay at the Laylow. Overall, I was pretty happy with the hotel. Modern, clean rooms were appreciated,
as were the pool, gym, and the Hideout coffee shop. We made use of every dollar of the $30 ($15x2) vouchers downstairs too, but the destination fee
of $25 per day was not waived as some had reported.

Everything was as expected of a smaller, boutique-style hotel. I know I'm not going to have a gigantic lap pool and spacious gym, so I set my
expectations accordingly. The pool was plenty nice for my daughter, and I got a few workouts done at the gym.

My only complaint (if it can be even called that) was the lack of an upgrade. I'm sure I was probably only one of a handful of Plat Premiers staying there at
the time so it was disappointing to not get one. Not only that, but the FD clerk said she didn't have any suites available, but then proceeded to offer the next guy,
who was by himself, an upgrade to a Corner Suite for $20! WTH. I didn't say anything, being the nice guy that I am, but I was steaming inside.
It's possible that he was only there for a night, but nevertheless, saying one thing to me and doing otherwise to the next guy was infuriating.
And even though I was supposed to have it, she didn't code my keys properly to have access to the "Executive" level. Not a big deal though as
we didn't plan to go there anyway, as laughable as it is. Yet another PP disappointment to follow the loss of UA Mileage Plus Gold.

I think the location is excellent btw. I didn't care if the beach is a few blocks down (I have feet that work after all and enjoy walking around) and
Waikiki Beach was only a five to six minute stroll past Kalakaua Ave. The International Marketplace (kinda miss the old grungy one) is next door
with its high-end boutique shops, and you're surrounded by excellent dining options.

Our room was on the 12th floor, and had a good view of the ocean to the left side, and mountains to the right from the lanai. Noise was a little higher
on Friday and Saturday nights, but at least the room has decent sound insulation so we had no problems getting to sleep. Elevators during check-out
mornings were sometimes a longer wait, but not bad enough to make my eight-year old groan.

All in all, despite the lack of elite benefits, I would not hesitate to go back to this property.
Here's my review from a while back.

Originally Posted by Kree
Can't if I'm keeping at government rates. A Courtyard did appear on my searches that wasn't there before though. With a 1000 mile per night bonus. Might switch to that, but its my first trip to Hawaii, so I like the idea of nightly ukulele lessons and over the top aesthetics.
Whatever you do, stay far, far, far away from the CY. It's an absolute poop hole of a property. Still can't believe I wasted a Cat 7 7-night package on this place.
Seriously, it was so bad that we forfeited the last three nights and stayed at the Hyatt Centric down the street.

If you're stuck with a Marriott property for work, I'd keep the Laylow reservation or go to the full-service Waikiki Beach Marriott a few blocks away.

And yes, the elite benefits might not be much here, but this is a boutique-style property after all, despite the "Marriot" ties.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:02 am

Just finished 10 days at the Laylow. Overall it was a nice hotel. Haven't stayed anywhere else in the area yet so I can't compare locally, but compared to other places I've stayed around the country this is one of the nicer ones. My business rate included breakfast in the restaurant. I was unable to try it, as I had to be at meetings at 7am, and the restaurant didn't open until 7am. When I checked out the front desk waived the cost of all my morning coffees/pastries though. Which was particularly nice because I didn't even ask. Good proactive customer service. I also happened to be their "guest of the day" when I checked in. Apparently a random reservation gets selected by the computer each day and the guest gets 2500 bonus points. Was a nice start to my trip.

The valet parking is a bit of a mess. Too little space for too many cars. Several times cars would be backed up into the main road waiting for other vehicles to move. The valets were all professional/courteous/quick. This was purely a layout problem.

The website lies about nightly ukulele lessons. Lessons are only Monday and Wednesday at 5pm. Didn't get to get a lesson as I wasn't back to the hotel by 5. I did almost try the free shaved ice. Which looked pretty, but I didn't like the length of the line. Perhaps they need to get a second machine.

The pool was as small as others mentioned, but looked nice. Only a 5 minute walk from beach.

The room was in great condition. The hallways are nice and wide. The shower had many settings. The toilet had a strong flush. The AC would get down to 65.

The restaurant was nice for dinner, but not for latenight. The live music is too loud, and there are too many 20ish year olds crowded around. Definitely a scene for a younger crowd. The bartender was very professional which seems rare nowadays.

Overall I would go back with my wife, but would not go again for business.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kree
Just finished 10 days at the Laylow. Overall it was a nice hotel. Haven't stayed anywhere else in the area yet so I can't compare locally, but compared to other places I've stayed around the country this is one of the nicer ones. My business rate included breakfast in the restaurant. I was unable to try it, as I had to be at meetings at 7am, and the restaurant didn't open until 7am. When I checked out the front desk waived the cost of all my morning coffees/pastries though. Which was particularly nice because I didn't even ask. Good proactive customer service. I also happened to be their "guest of the day" when I checked in. Apparently a random reservation gets selected by the computer each day and the guest gets 2500 bonus points. Was a nice start to my trip.

The valet parking is a bit of a mess. Too little space for too many cars. Several times cars would be backed up into the main road waiting for other vehicles to move. The valets were all professional/courteous/quick. This was purely a layout problem.

The website lies about nightly ukulele lessons. Lessons are only Monday and Wednesday at 5pm. Didn't get to get a lesson as I wasn't back to the hotel by 5. I did almost try the free shaved ice. Which looked pretty, but I didn't like the length of the line. Perhaps they need to get a second machine.

The pool was as small as others mentioned, but looked nice. Only a 5 minute walk from beach.

The room was in great condition. The hallways are nice and wide. The shower had many settings. The toilet had a strong flush. The AC would get down to 65.

The restaurant was nice for dinner, but not for latenight. The live music is too loud, and there are too many 20ish year olds crowded around. Definitely a scene for a younger crowd. The bartender was very professional which seems rare nowadays.

Overall I would go back with my wife, but would not go again for business.
Good write and fair enough! Personally especially with my wife not go back there. Especially loud music 20 something crowd my feeling if I am going to the islands I want to see the water!
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
if I am going to the islands I want to see the water!
That's a problem at many of the hotels in Waikiki, unless you pay for a beach hotel with a view. Even The Trump Waikiki and The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Waikiki Beach have kind of sucky city-esque views.

I'm fine with Waikiki because I've been 6 or 7 times and know what to expect, but I feel like many have an unrealistic expectation thanks to Hawaiian romanticism, sentimentalism or general nostalgic for days of yore.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That's a problem at many of the hotels in Waikiki, unless you pay for a beach hotel with a view. Even The Trump Waikiki and The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Waikiki Beach have kind of sucky city-esque views.

I'm fine with Waikiki because I've been 6 or 7 times and know what to expect, but I feel like many have an unrealistic expectation thanks to Hawaiian romanticism, sentimentalism or general nostalgic for days of yore.

I have been going since mid 70's wife part Hawaiian have seen it all more or less these new reflags are mostly rip offs such as the Laylow
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I have been going since mid 70's wife part Hawaiian have seen it all more or less these new reflags are mostly rip offs such as the Laylow
What amazes me is the Japanese continue coming to Waikiki over other islands in Hawaii or just other islands in the Pacific. I wish I spoke Japanese because I would love to ask some Japanese visitors what they think of Oahu's homeless epidemic, the trash, the abandoned cars on roadsides, and all of the other things that the Japanese aren't accustomed to seeing or experiencing.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What amazes me is the Japanese continue coming to Waikiki over other islands in Hawaii or just other islands in the Pacific. I wish I spoke Japanese because I would love to ask some Japanese visitors what they think of Oahu's homeless epidemic, the trash, the abandoned cars on roadsides, and all of the other things that the Japanese aren't accustomed to seeing or experiencing.
I think they avoid that "view" as much as possible. Their "itineraries" are well set before they come over ( tours ) then the ones that get married here don't wonder too far. By the by I am not so sure as many are coming over to married as in years gone by when there use to be chartered planes flying to be married couples over.

Having said that I see plenty of homeless/abandoned cars/ drugs etc in many other countries around the world, we don't have the franchise on that one.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Platinum members avoid...

Just checked into this property a few days ago and my only advice is if you are a platinum member expecting any of your benefits to be honored, you should avoid this place. While the hotel is pretty nice with a great location, it is obvious the management does everything they can to skirt around the member benefits. As a platinum premier, I wasn’t even offered an upgraded room at check in when there was virtually every suite type available for the length of my stay. Executive level, junior suite, family suite, and corner suites. When I mentioned this, their excuse was that they we’re not available for upgrade. If they don’t intend to honor the program then why even bother branding as a Marriott? The manager was hostile when and claimed the site has a glitch showing those rooms which was nonsense because later in the evening I overheard people checking in being offered a suite for a fee to upgrade. Totally shady business practices. What’s even worse is they sell executives level rooms when there’s is not even a lounge. They have a pantry basically offering room tempurate water and coffee and that’s about it. Also I know many complain about resort fees, but I don’t have a problem with them when they actually give you something worth the fee like beach chairs/umbrellas like many beach properties do. At this place nope. The resort fee gives you free shaved ice and a fruit basket to pick out of. Total scam. Honestly best to avoid this place. I spend a lot of money at Marriott/SPG properties with the promise of being granted certain benefits in return (when they are available). Being lied to, to avoid granting those benefits is not only frustrating, but leaves a black mark on the program. Total scam management running this property.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xkr0p
I spend a lot of money at Marriott/SPG properties with the promise of being granted certain benefits in return (when they are available). Being lied to, to avoid granting those benefits is not only frustrating, but leaves a black mark on the program. Total scam management running this property.
Thanks for reminding me to keep this property crossed off the list.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended

Just checked into this property a few days ago and my only advice is if you are a platinum member expecting any of your benefits to be honored, you should avoid this place. While the hotel is pretty nice with a great location, it is obvious the management does everything they can to skirt around the member benefits. As a platinum premier, I wasn’t even offered an upgraded room at check in when there was virtually every suite type available for the length of my stay. Executive level, junior suite, family suite, and corner suites. When I mentioned this, their excuse was that they we’re not available for upgrade. If they don’t intend to honor the program then why even bother branding as a Marriott? The manager was hostile when and claimed the site has a glitch showing those rooms which was nonsense because later in the evening I overheard people checking in being offered a suite for a fee to upgrade. Totally shady business practices. What’s even worse is they sell executives level rooms when there’s is not even a lounge. They have a pantry basically offering room tempurate water and coffee and that’s about it. Also I know many complain about resort fees, but I don’t have a problem with them when they actually give you something worth the fee like beach chairs/umbrellas like many beach properties do. At this place nope. The resort fee gives you free shaved ice and a fruit basket to pick out of. Total scam. Honestly best to avoid this place. I spend a lot of money at Marriott/SPG properties with the promise of being granted certain benefits in return (when they are available). Being lied to, to avoid granting those benefits is not only frustrating, but leaves a black mark on the program. Total scam management running this property.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for reminding me to keep this property crossed off the list.
The Laylow, Autograph Collection has been on my no-stay list since it first opened, as there have been endless complaints about disingenuous practices by the front desk and management. For a while, it seemed like the property had improved. It even sounded like they stopped claiming to have an executive lounge.

Nevertheless, the property remains on my no-stay list. I have frequented it for food, however, as I think its bar and restaurant has the best food and drinks of any legacy Marriott or legacy SPG property in Waikiki.

I wouldn't hesitate to file a complaint with Marriott, as a friend stayed there and complained. The complaint resulted in a file opening on the property and at one point Pyramid Hotel Group (the third-party management company) was forced to respond. You may want to use these email addresses --

Hotel general manager: Robert Friedl <[email protected]>
Corporate Marriott: Jolynn.Wheeler <[email protected]>
Third-party management company: Chuck Freije <[email protected]>
itsaboutthejourney and Kacee like this.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Oct 2, 2018 at 8:02 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:58 am

There have been a steady stream of similar complaints like yours yet Marriott seems to turn their collective heads in order to keep the room count up. The Courtyard is a similar property cheap conversion, tiny rooms, refreshed twice and still a dump. Make sure you complain in writing to Marriott. Don't you just love "Equity Capitol"?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Don't you just love "Equity Capitol"?
It's "capital." Every time I see this misspelling I cringe. Sorry I can't help myself
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's "capital." Every time I see this misspelling I cringe. Sorry I can't help myself

GEZZZ Kacee spell check your excused !!!!!!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
After reading up on TA and other sites i thought i finally decided on which property i would stay at then i read up on here and changing my mind again

Still terrible treatment for plat/titanium here a 'year' later? any recent experiences?

Last edited by itisme; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by itisme
After reading up on TA and other sites i thought i finally decided on which property i would stay at then i read up on here and changing my mind again

Still terrible treatment for plat/titanium here a 'year' later? any recent experiences?
In the "Your Favorite Autograph Collection" thread, someone rated it in their top 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.