Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
Thanks. Front desk (on phone) told me vouchers not valid for alcohol. I'll report back after we stay there this weekend.

That seems to be one of the issue here disinformation and what counts and what doesn't. Poor management
Old Feb 4, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I hear that the Laylow may not be charging the resort fee. Anyone know if that's true?
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
I hear that the Laylow may not be charging the resort fee. Anyone know if that's true?
They have a $29 daily destination fee prominently displayed on the website
Old Feb 4, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
They have a $29 daily destination fee prominently displayed on the website
A friend stayed at the hotel in November and they indicated that they were waiving it at that time, but I'm not sure if they still are.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
A friend stayed at the hotel in November and they indicated that they were waiving it at that time, but I'm not sure if they still are.
You could always try calling them
Old Feb 4, 2021, 1:55 pm

You could always try calling them
I know people have price points when visiting the islands but this place is a dump with no real regard for Marriott travelers sorry but it ranks right up there with the other subpar rehab'd old apartments/hotels converted. As background I have been doing business in the islands since the mid 70's as an investor and construction company so have seen a lot. Put as much lipstick on the Laylow as you want but it's still ______________
Old Feb 4, 2021, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I know people have price points when visiting the islands but this place is a dump with no real regard for Marriott travelers sorry but it ranks right up there with the other subpar rehab'd old apartments/hotels converted.
As someone who lives in Honolulu - based on location alone, I would not recommend this hotel (or the Courtyard) - unless one was here for work. A vacation though, the location is terrible.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 6:38 pm

As someone who lives in Honolulu - based on location alone, I would not recommend this hotel (or the Courtyard) - unless one was here for work. A vacation though, the location is terrible.
My husband and I along with a bunch of friends stayed here for a night before we switched to Aulani... I actually really enjoyed the location and the hotel.

It's location next to the International Market Place was convenient, and I'm even more of a fan as right across the street is a Konos North Shore and the Kona Coffee at the marketplace will have me going back to this hotel.

We even had a partial ocean view from our room.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 4, 2021, 6:57 pm

I started to mention the Courtyard, they are on their third or fourth renovation? The only good thing there is a IHOP across the street for breakfast. The CY is as lame as the Hyatt Place.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 6:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I know people have price points when visiting the islands but this place is a dump with no real regard for Marriott travelers sorry but it ranks right up there with the other subpar rehab'd old apartments/hotels converted. As background I have been doing business in the islands since the mid 70's as an investor and construction company so have seen a lot. Put as much lipstick on the Laylow as you want but it's still ______________
I don't question your qualification to judge this hotel as you do, but I do wonder why 766 reviewers on the Marriott website rate it at 4.5 stars (the same rating as the Ritz-Carlton Residences), even the Royal Hawaiian only gets 4.2 stars. I'd like to know because I'm considering staying there because of its high rating. I hope I don't make a mistake and regret it.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I don't question your qualification to judge this hotel as you do, but I do wonder why 766 reviewers on the Marriott website rate it at 4.5 stars (the same rating as the Ritz-Carlton Residences), even the Royal Hawaiian only gets 4.2 stars. I'd like to know because I'm considering staying there because of its high rating. I hope I don't make a mistake and regret it.
well, the RH certainly outdoes the Laylow, with no questions asked. While I like the area and the vibe at the Laylow (pool sucks), and my affection towards Autographs, I'd question the validity of the 4.5 stars, especially matching RC and exceeding the RH. That said, I would say the people reviewing are in a different class if they are booking the Laylow in comparison to the RC or RH.
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CALMSP
I would say the people reviewing are in a different class if they are booking the Laylow in comparison to the RC or RH.
Or looking for a different experience, and probably have lesser expectations commensurate with the lower prices.

Laylow may not provide a great elite experience but many guests seem to like it. I don't view the location as any worse than any of the other properties at that end of Waikiki that are not ocean-facing. It's certainly convenient to Marukame. Not sure I'll ever stay there though.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:35 am

I am not sure nor do I venture to guess online. Having said that and answering an additional remark no I am not "peering down" at the Laylow over a higher brand. I travel to the islands many times for one or two days on business at times preferring to stay at say the CY ( twice was enough) so I don't need the "experience" hotels. But being in the business I enough booking into a new "flag" property. This place is run by an ownership group out of Memphis ( if I remember correct). Poor onsite management, pool like the Hyatt Place next to non existent. This property in my opinion does not even come close to a Renaissance Hotel
Old Feb 5, 2021, 11:49 am

I suspect part of the RH lower ratings have much to do with high room rates - and having to pay for lounge chairs on the beach. It is an oceanfront hotel and not really comparable to the Lawlow - (I think the RH is overpriced - I prefer the Sheraton where I have literally 100% success to a suite upgrade and prefer the adult only pool)

If someone is on a tight budget - then staying on Kuhio Ave might be the only option - it isn't even across the street from the beach - Kuhio gets a bit of a sketchy vibe after dark (although much improved than 10 years ago) - but if all you are looking for is a place to put your stuff - don't mind lugging your stuff to the beach - don't really care about the view - then I'm sure this place is fine. I personally wouldn't stay at a Kuhio Ave hotel whether it be Lawlow or something else.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:02 pm

I suspect part of the RH lower ratings have much to do with high room rates - and having to pay for lounge chairs on the beach. It is an oceanfront hotel and not really comparable to the Lawlow - (I think the RH is overpriced - I prefer the Sheraton where I have literally 100% success to a suite upgrade and prefer the adult only pool)

If someone is on a tight budget - then staying on Kuhio Ave might be the only option - it isn't even across the street from the beach - Kuhio gets a bit of a sketchy vibe after dark (although much improved than 10 years ago) - but if all you are looking for is a place to put your stuff - don't mind lugging your stuff to the beach - don't really care about the view - then I'm sure this place is fine. I personally wouldn't stay at a Kuhio Ave hotel whether it be Lawlow or something else.
X2 And agree on the Sheraton even better after the renovation work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.