Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Any feedback on the SNA choices at this hotel?
There are 3 posts to this thread about effectiveness of applying SNAs - including yours.

I unfortunately expect that this hotel doesn't give anyone anything. Especially SNAs.

David
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kacee
This property gets overall very positive reviews. Given that pretty much all the Waikiki Marriott options have cut elite benefits, I don't see this property's historic evasion of the breakfast benefit as a basis for a blanket "do not stay."
This property has had a long history of skirting the Marriott requirements for it's traveler more in particular elite, does anyone remember when they first opened and elite "breakfast" was a table with tea/coffee? Yes the majority of flags have reduced their overall benefits to us and will continue too. In Honolulu would you recommend Laylow over the beach front properties for what an upgrade? I think their room sizes mirror the Courtyard close by. Same type of conversation, old very old property much like the Courtyard or the Hyatt Place. Maybe I have become cynical in my aging with over 4300 room nights at Marriott nearing 4 mm air miles I do have authority here. My profession is construction general engineering 50% of our work pertains to hotel/hospitality properties.

My point is stay on the beach.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 8:36 am

Programs: Yes
edgewood49 So, do you have any recent stay experience with this property so as to help the poster?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
This property has had a long history of skirting the Marriott requirements for it's traveler more in particular elite, does anyone remember when they first opened and elite "breakfast" was a table with tea/coffee? Yes the majority of flags have reduced their overall benefits to us and will continue too. In Honolulu would you recommend Laylow over the beach front properties for what an upgrade? I think their room sizes mirror the Courtyard close by. Same type of conversation, old very old property much like the Courtyard or the Hyatt Place. Maybe I have become cynical in my aging with over 4300 room nights at Marriott nearing 4 mm air miles I do have authority here. My profession is construction general engineering 50% of our work pertains to hotel/hospitality properties.

My point is stay on the beach.
So when was the last time you stayed here?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Had a perfect stay here a few years ago, and posted about it in this thread a while back,
also got told off by edgewood49 for even suggesting it was a great property.
Some rant about the demise of the program at this property, they don't uphold the Marriott standards etc etc.etc

I think at the time it had a good points value compared to the beach hotels, and was literally only a 5 min walk away from the beach,
and we got upgraded, as well as daily vouchers for breakfast, which didn't quite cover a family of 5, but a much better breakfast than the usual crap in a club lounge.
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I've not really understood the appeal of this hotel given its location and almost non-existent pool. Maybe a business traveler?

When I look at this thread - seems most FT posts definitely lean on the negative side.

I took some time to look at the reviews on the Marriott website. Just an opinion, but many of the positive reviews - especially the recent ones really seem manufactured/fake. They are so over the top - even misleading - with one proclaiming - 5 minutes from the beach. Its not - even with a full on sprint and traffic lights in your favor.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've not really understood the appeal of this hotel given its location and almost non-existent pool. Maybe a business traveler?
People like the Centric, too.

And while I probably wouldn't stay at either Laylow or Centric (or anywhere else in Waikiki these days), I really don't care if my hotel in Hawaii has a nice pool. I have one of those at home.

Perhaps we can now return to people sharing their experiences in response to OP's very legitimate question.
Finkface and anteater like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:34 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've not really understood the appeal of this hotel given its location and almost non-existent pool.
Would you recommend the Royal Hawaiian for its pool instead? Or does a hotel's proximity to the ocean define what the pool size should be?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I had a pretty good stay there earlier this year. Rates are lower than the kyo-ya hotels.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
So when was the last time you stayed here?

Walked in while on last business trip pre covid, looked around asked if I could see a room after showing my business card and Titanium LT card. Given what I knew of the old apartments / hotels in that area and after looking into the rooms pool area I knew this would not be an alternative to my trips over the same can be said for the CY which has been refreshed several times after a huge volume of customer complaints.

Having said all this there are some that will find this property a wonderful stay as I am sure you have in your stay (s) for me no. My issue is the flag and what it met when the Marriotts were in control making properties maintain a certain level again my opinion which I believe I am entitled to make. Finkace I am in the industry and have been for 40 years.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: Yes
Walked in while on last business trip pre covid, looked around asked if I could see a room after showing my business card and Titanium LT card. Given what I knew of the old apartments / hotels in that area and after looking into the rooms pool area I knew this would not be an alternative to my trips over the same can be said for the CY which has been refreshed several times after a huge volume of customer complaints.

Having said all this there are some that will find this property a wonderful stay as I am sure you have in your stay (s) for me no. My issue is the flag and what it met when the Marriotts were in control making properties maintain a certain level again my opinion which I believe I am entitled to make. Finkace I am in the industry and have been for 40 years.
Perhaps we should keep this thread to hotel stays and reviews, rather than obscure datapoints from not being a guest in days past.
Finkface and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Would you recommend the Royal Hawaiian for its pool instead? Or does a hotel's proximity to the ocean define what the pool size should be?
For me a pool is important - I live across the street from a far superior beach than Waikiki but quite frankly prefer my own pool to the beach.

For a budget conscience traveler - which I assume one must be to consider the Laylow - if it had to a Bonvoy chain I'd recommend the Princess Kaiulani. It has a better pool - is across the street from the ocean - and you aren't staying on Kuhio Ave which at times can get a bit sketchy after dark.

For a pool where cost isn't a problem - definitely the Sheraton Waikiki,
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
Perhaps we should keep this thread to hotel stays and reviews, rather than obscure datapoints from not being a guest in days past.

Perhaps
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I think it would be more truthful if Marriott listed this property as 'minimal participation' in the Bonvoy program. Nice hotel itself, but the defiant attitude from management and lack of elite benefits is something to consider.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
...the same can be said for the CY which has been refreshed several times after a huge volume of customer complaints.
I would say the Laylow had a far more significant renovation than the Courtyard did. The Courtyard's multiple renovations have been superficial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.