Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:01 pm

I visited here in late May on a trip that included Las Alcobas in Napa, St. Regis SF, and Mauna Kea on the Big Island. The Laylow was probably the star of the show, and definitely the one that exceeded expectations the most. The breakfast was very good, the rooms were new and clean, the bar was among the best hotel bars I've been to this year. Checked out most of the Marriott Waikiki hotels during the trip, and Laylow had by far the best vibe, design, and service.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I visited here in late May on a trip that included Las Alcobas in Napa, St. Regis SF, and Mauna Kea on the Big Island. The Laylow was probably the star of the show, and definitely the one that exceeded expectations the most. The breakfast was very good, the rooms were new and clean, the bar was among the best hotel bars I've been to this year. Checked out most of the Marriott Waikiki hotels during the trip, and Laylow had by far the best vibe, design, and service.
work for the hotel owner?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Not at all. No complaints about anything at this hotel, not looking for a beachfront hotel in Waikiki anyway. Forgot to mention that I also loved the pastries/treats in the hallway, not sure if this was just on certain floors, but each morning there was a different pastry (Nutella croissant, ham and cheese, etc), along with a cappucino/latte machine. Was nice to not have to go very far to get morning fix, and at a cost of $0.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Not at all. No complaints about anything at this hotel, not looking for a beachfront hotel in Waikiki anyway. Forgot to mention that I also loved the pastries/treats in the hallway, not sure if this was just on certain floors, but each morning there was a different pastry (Nutella croissant, ham and cheese, etc), along with a cappucino/latte machine. Was nice to not have to go very far to get morning fix, and at a cost of $0.
lol @ edgewood. A hotel that skirts pretty much all of the benefits is a star of your show? Practically every hotel on earth gives you free coffee or cappucino/latte's in their lounge. Well there is no lounge here, even though there are "lounge-level" rooms and those pastry's wernt free, you paid for them 10000-fold with the scam resort fee that gives you absolutely nothing of value lol.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by xkr0p
lol @ edgewood. A hotel that skirts pretty much all of the benefits is a star of your show? Practically every hotel on earth gives you free coffee or cappucino/latte's in their lounge. Well there is no lounge here, even though there are "lounge-level" rooms and those pastry's wernt free, you paid for them 10000-fold with the scam resort fee that gives you absolutely nothing of value lol.
I'm not rating it based on what gives me the most perks for my status, I'm rating on how much I enjoyed the resort. The level of food with the breakfast credit was much higher than most buffets, lounges, etc though. The decor, bars, rooms, and ambience however were spectacular.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not rating it based on what gives me the most perks for my status, I'm rating on how much I enjoyed the resort. The level of food with the breakfast credit was much higher than most buffets, lounges, etc though. The decor, bars, rooms, and ambience however were spectacular.
Seems fair commentary to me.

Most of the Marriott options in Waikiki are not at all desirable IMO (especially considering rates), regardless of program benefits. The Marriott Waikiki, for example, gives a full restaurant breakfast, but you couldn't pay me to stay in that dump again. I now go off program (Kahala) when I stay in Honolulu.
dgreen12 and andrewstahl like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seems fair commentary to me.

Most of the Marriott options in Waikiki are not at all desirable IMO (especially considering rates), regardless of program benefits. The Marriott Waikiki, for example, gives a full restaurant breakfast, but you couldn't pay me to stay in that dump again. I now go off program (Kahala) when I stay in Honolulu.
Most hotels in Waikiki are not at all desirable, regardless of chain. That being said, Hilton's offerings in Waikiki are awful and IHG's are nonexistent. As far as chain hotels in Waikiki, the Laylow is the best option in its price range (with the Hyatt Regency getting an honorable mention).

If I'm spending Marriott points in Hawaii, it would be at the Muana Kea Hotel on the Big Island.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Most hotels in Waikiki are not at all desirable, regardless of chain. That being said, Hilton's offerings in Waikiki are awful and IHG's are nonexistent. As far as chain hotels in Waikiki, the Laylow is the best option in its price range (with the Hyatt Regency getting an honorable mention).

If I'm spending Marriott points in Hawaii, it would be at the Muana Kea Hotel on the Big Island.
Interesting you mention the Muana Kea rarely do I see people mentioning it. Yes I have stayed, it's quiet as is most of the Big Island resorts, a choice for someone that wants to get away and not be close to much so one really needs a car. It's a big tired.

Without a doubt unless your talking the Four Seasons or Fairmont hotel services for the foreseeable future are diminishing rapidly once we enter another slowdown and it's coming will you see the hotel operators slow their fleecing of guest, but then the unions are still pounding away.

It's happened before and it will happen again in the islands which is sad for the people not the owners who could care less
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Most hotels in Waikiki are not at all desirable, regardless of chain.
Don't disagree, but you'll note this is the Marriott forum, and the discussion is about Marriott options.

I think you mean Mauna Kea. Westin Hapuna is generally considered a better option.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I have to agree. In terms of overall vibe, F&B, Stumptown Coffee, nice bathrooms, even location, the Laylow has a lot going for it. But a lot of that is diminished by their anti-Bonvoy policies. What is strange is that after all this time, they still don't have their act together in terms of room descriptions on marriott.com.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I have to agree. In terms of overall vibe, F&B, Stumptown Coffee, nice bathrooms, even location, the Laylow has a lot going for it. But a lot of that is diminished by their anti-Bonvoy policies. What is strange is that after all this time, they still don't have their act together in terms of room descriptions on marriott.com.
In years gone by this would have been taken care of now with the "new Marriott" when it comes to service it's a shell of it use to be now their afraid of losing a property. This is a not a Marriott more like a Courtyard !!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:30 am

In years gone by this would have been taken care of now with the "new Marriott" when it comes to service it's a shell of it use to be now their afraid of losing a property. This is a not a Marriott more like a Courtyard !!
To call this hotel a Courtyard is absolutely absurd. The hotel is oozing with mid-century Hawaiian charm with so much detail, it is not a cookie cutter Courtyard for god's sakes. The F&B and decor are the best I've seen in an Autograph Property. Your complaints about Bonvoy benefits seem valid, but loyalty benefits are not the only thing that matters when considering a hotel. I could care less about upgrades at a hotel like this when the room is ample size, modern, and comfortable. The awesome design to me is worth a lot more than a bigger room, or a cool view.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:48 am

To call this hotel a Courtyard is absolutely absurd. The hotel is oozing with mid-century Hawaiian charm with so much detail, it is not a cookie cutter Courtyard for god's sakes. The F&B and decor are the best I've seen in an Autograph Property. Your complaints about Bonvoy benefits seem valid, but loyalty benefits are not the only thing that matters when considering a hotel. I could care less about upgrades at a hotel like this when the room is ample size, modern, and comfortable. The awesome design to me is worth a lot more than a bigger room, or a cool view.
I was not insulting your choice of hotels I was simply saying this property was a very old building then flagged as a Marriott in my opinion only, it does not merit a full service Marriott flag, there are many properties like this in the islands that over the past ten years have been redone as hotels. Many to not so stellar reviews. As a disclaimer I am a partner in a construction Co with hotels as a major part of our work and yes in the islands since 1975 working, so I have seen a bit and know many of the franchise ownerships and how they operate to that I will say no more. And yes I do not book a hotel based on upgrades but I do insist on certain things and this place doesn't meet those expectations. Note I am a life time Titanium ( hate that name as well) with 4300 room nights so been there done that
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
It is not a cookie cutter Courtyard for god's sakes.
Neither is the Courtyard down the street.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Neither is the Courtyard down the street.
That one has had to be "refreshed" several times at first it was a good idea for us that were passing through for a night but once in the room or should I say closet !! The only good thing was there is a IHOP across the street for breakfast. The Hyatt Place is another one that is a cheap conversion from old to very old apartments to hotels doesn't work well unless your going to knock down walls but then your taking away "doors"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.