FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:56 am
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by xkr0p
Just checked into this property a few days ago and my only advice is if you are a platinum member expecting any of your benefits to be honored, you should avoid this place. While the hotel is pretty nice with a great location, it is obvious the management does everything they can to skirt around the member benefits. As a platinum premier, I wasn’t even offered an upgraded room at check in when there was virtually every suite type available for the length of my stay. Executive level, junior suite, family suite, and corner suites. When I mentioned this, their excuse was that they we’re not available for upgrade. If they don’t intend to honor the program then why even bother branding as a Marriott? The manager was hostile when and claimed the site has a glitch showing those rooms which was nonsense because later in the evening I overheard people checking in being offered a suite for a fee to upgrade. Totally shady business practices. What’s even worse is they sell executives level rooms when there’s is not even a lounge. They have a pantry basically offering room tempurate water and coffee and that’s about it. Also I know many complain about resort fees, but I don’t have a problem with them when they actually give you something worth the fee like beach chairs/umbrellas like many beach properties do. At this place nope. The resort fee gives you free shaved ice and a fruit basket to pick out of. Total scam. Honestly best to avoid this place. I spend a lot of money at Marriott/SPG properties with the promise of being granted certain benefits in return (when they are available). Being lied to, to avoid granting those benefits is not only frustrating, but leaves a black mark on the program. Total scam management running this property.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for reminding me to keep this property crossed off the list.
The Laylow, Autograph Collection has been on my no-stay list since it first opened, as there have been endless complaints about disingenuous practices by the front desk and management. For a while, it seemed like the property had improved. It even sounded like they stopped claiming to have an executive lounge.

Nevertheless, the property remains on my no-stay list. I have frequented it for food, however, as I think its bar and restaurant has the best food and drinks of any legacy Marriott or legacy SPG property in Waikiki.

I wouldn't hesitate to file a complaint with Marriott, as a friend stayed there and complained. The complaint resulted in a file opening on the property and at one point Pyramid Hotel Group (the third-party management company) was forced to respond. You may want to use these email addresses --

Hotel general manager: Robert Friedl <[email protected]>
Corporate Marriott: Jolynn.Wheeler <[email protected]>
Third-party management company: Chuck Freije <[email protected]>

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Oct 2, 2018 at 8:02 am