Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Father-of-3
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on bestiality activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by xp0
They told me they dont report this since it was their decision to close it.
^ They are not scary at all then
Old May 23, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by xp0
I had the same thing happen to me on Thursday. My checking was closed and my CCs are currently restricted due to issues with my checking. They will review my cards "within the next 10 days" and make a decision on keeping them open or not.

Did they close your CCs instantly or first restrict access, review them, then close them?
I did have a restriction noted by an online message but I called Fraud and they were able to resolve it. Perhaps they should not have but they treated it just like any other fraud block and lifted it after a series of questions.

Originally Posted by hoklegl
Do you mind sharing how you were paying the CC? Pushing/Pulling? At branch? Via Checking account? Redcard/Serve/BB?
I quit pulling quite early as it simply took too long. They were all pushes or transfers from checking. Checking was funded through pushes and branch deposits of checks and MO.

The one thing I did do differently than others, I suspect, was fax the High Dollar desk for every submitted payment to have the hold removed immediately. I don't believe this had anything to do with the closure. It was actually recommended by WF in a CFPB complaint response regarding payment holds.

Originally Posted by vagrants
Their weapon the BSA...hope nothing negative shows up on your chex.
I pull my Chex after every closure so I'll see in a few weeks.

The BSA is fine for banking but using it to close a credit card account raises issues. Specifically the marketing of the 5% promo was not fulfilled and the only reason they will give is 'the bank has determined to close the account'.

It's a fair question whether the FTC will accept that as sufficient for reason to renig on a marketing offer.

My opinion is they've painted themselves into a corner by applying banking regulation to a credit card product. The standard non-answer produced by the BSA won't cut it with the FTC I hope.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:12 am

My money order payments will no longer go through directly to the card. Now I have to deposit them to my checking account and make the payment the next day.

Why do we have two 5% Wells Fargo threads?
Old May 25, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Limit was 15k and I was doing 100k minimum. However their position is that all my relationships are closing due to the checking closing. The checking they will not provide a reason other than it was a business decision.
How many months lasted for you WF card?
Old May 25, 2015, 10:27 am

Is opening a WF business checking account and waiting a couple of months enough to build the relationship they need to qualify for this card? Or the does the "relationship" need to be with a personal checking account?

Last edited by onehitrenegade; May 25, 2015 at 11:20 am
Old May 25, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by tech2011
How many months lasted for you WF card?
four
Old May 25, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
four
Thanks CVG, Mine lasted fully. Still open CC and checking account.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:11 am

New to these WF cards - do VGCs from grocery stores still give the 5% bonus?

I have a Wells Fargo mortgage and just got an offer in the mail for the WF Home Rebate card. It sounds great because I'm in an MS lull right now, but I read on some blog that the Terms and Conditions have "recently" changed to no longer give 5% on VGC purchases. I see in the T&C's that "store gift cards" are excluded. Is this all gift cards, or just "store gift cards" like Amazon?
Old May 27, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Panu81
I have a Wells Fargo mortgage and just got an offer in the mail for the WF Home Rebate card. It sounds great because I'm in an MS lull right now, but I read on some blog that the Terms and Conditions have "recently" changed to no longer give 5% on VGC purchases. I see in the T&C's that "store gift cards" are excluded. Is this all gift cards, or just "store gift cards" like Amazon?
Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think a CC company can see what you're purchasing outside of dollar amount, merchant, and the merchant code. I mean, my prescriptions cost a lot and I have to buy them pretty frequently but I don't see where the bank would be able to get an itemized breakdown. If you're questioned about it, sure, but that seems to get in the way of some privacy regulations.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbender49
Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think a CC company can see what you're purchasing outside of dollar amount, merchant, and the merchant code. I mean, my prescriptions cost a lot and I have to buy them pretty frequently but I don't see where the bank would be able to get an itemized breakdown. If you're questioned about it, sure, but that seems to get in the way of some privacy regulations.
Depending on the card and the retailer, they can see individual item detail of your transaction.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by cbender49
I have read several reports of people who got FRd by am3x who used their 0bc for purely MS activities at drugstores. I thought HIPAA privacy rule would prevent them from peeking at transactions but it seems they can check and see exactly what those $50x.xx and $100x.xx purchases are. Many have said they were asked directly, "why have you bought a lot of GCs at X drugstore?" Interesting to note they didn't ask what cardholder was buying for huge amounts, but instead they asked why a lot of those GCs were being purchased.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I have read several reports of people who got FRd by am3x who used their 0bc for purely MS activities at drugstores. I thought HIPAA privacy rule would prevent them from peeking at transactions but it seems they can check and see exactly what those $50x.xx and $100x.xx purchases are. Many have said they were asked directly, "why have you bought a lot of GCs at X drugstore?" Interesting to note they didn't ask what cardholder was buying for huge amounts, but instead they asked why a lot of those GCs were being purchased.
"HIPAA Rules, including the business associate provisions, do not apply to banking and financial institutions with respect to the payment processing activities defined in §1179 of the HIPAA statute." (78 Fed. Reg. 5566, 5575 (Jan. 25, 2013)). -

See more at: http://www.physicianspractice.com/bl....WWuy81hI.dpuf
Old May 27, 2015, 9:44 am

Amex and Discover own their transaction networks and act as both the card issuer and the merchant bank. That's why they can see your transaction detail.

Visa and Mastercard do not own their transaction networks. They have contracts with their merchant banks. When you dispute a charge a request is placed through the MasterCom system to request a copy of your charge detail. MasterCom's rules require a reason code within contract stipulations be provided to turn over this information which is stored at the merchant bank level. A code exists for Fraud but MS does not meet that criteria and exposes the issuers to sanction and legal recourse if they request charge detail outside the contract parameters.

There is a lot of chatter about Level 2 and 3 data from the merchants but I've never heard of this used for charge detail outside of certain merchant codes like hotels and airlines which may pass your itinerary to the issuer.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:01 am

They can check and see exactly what those $50x.xx and $100x.xx purchases are. Many have said they were asked directly, "why have you bought a lot of GCs at X drugstore?" Interesting to note they didn't ask what cardholder was buying for huge amounts, but instead they asked why a lot of those GCs were being purchased.
Originally Posted by Stoughton
"HIPAA Rules, including the business associate provisions, do not apply to banking and financial institutions with respect to the payment processing activities defined in §1179 of the HIPAA statute." (78 Fed. Reg. 5566, 5575 (Jan. 25, 2013)). -

See more at: http://www.physicianspractice.com/bl....WWuy81hI.dpuf
Last year my CC purchases were $50k+ every month, it would be naive to believe they thought I was buying carrots and bananas! Today banksters can see what they want to know, Laws and regulations are meaningful to the extent of enforcement. Justice dept. needs a billion $ fines potentials to justify the cost of investigation and litigation! (all crimes are not prosecuted!)
Old May 27, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by prasha11
Last year my CC purchases were $50k+ every month, it would be naive to believe they thought I was buying carrots and bananas! Today banksters can see what they want to know, Laws and regulations are meaningful to the extent of enforcement. Justice dept. needs a billion $ fines potentials to justify the cost of investigation and litigation! (all crimes are not prosecuted!)
I don't know about this - I mean the IRS conducts tax audits on random middle - income bracket workers. There are not billion $ fines at stake there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.