Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Father-of-3
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on bestiality activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by usalibido
Very YMMV. I personally know three other persons depositing MOs (5~10k monthly) into their checking accounts and they went through the promotion period without any problem.

Though I can understand that it just takes one curious person to get a pair of eyeballs on your account, and too many MOs into a new account can be a red flag.
Do not understad the point in risking MO deposits with any of the major cc issuers. Very easy to deposit MO's elsewhere and xfer funds over and minimize risk. Of course many people will get away with it, but when YOU are the one that gets shut down and lose out of the opportunity of earning 5 figures in reward $'s. These offers are rare and I wish that I could have another 6 months at it (I could have bought a very nice new car with our 6 months earnins off 2 cards. I am praying to Buddha for another unlimited 5x opportunity one day.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:45 am

One of my two primary sources for buying GCs changed their policy to require PINS when buying because people were buying with stolen CCs.

Is it possible to use my PIN, either as credit or debit, and not get charged cash advance fees?

Otherwise I will be forced to cut my activities in half and will be missing out on a lot of money. No other sources of GCs within an hour of here.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Do not understad the point in risking MO deposits with any of the major cc issuers. Very easy to deposit MO's elsewhere and xfer funds over and minimize risk. Of course many people will get away with it, but when YOU are the one that gets shut down and lose out of the opportunity of earning 5 figures in reward $'s.
I think stating that people "get away with it" subtly misstates reality, which is that most people working with MOs at the issuing bank don't have a problem. Which, in turn, tells me that MOs, in and of themselves, are not the problem. It may be the volume, it may be the frequency, or it may be the way one acts in order to bring suspicion unto themselves.

People here are way too concerned with creating a "golden rule," when one doesn't exist.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ronnyk
I think stating that people "get away with it" subtly misstates reality, which is that most people working with MOs at the issuing bank don't have a problem. Which, in turn, tells me that MOs, in and of themselves, are not the problem. It may be the volume, it may be the frequency, or it may be the way one acts in order to bring suspicion unto themselves.

People here are way too concerned with creating a "golden rule," when one doesn't exist.
Agree - in fact I've heard a couple real world data points of people getting their WF checking shutdown with not a single MO deposit. It was apparently the sheer volume they were pushing through it (even electronically) to pay the CC.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Drew777
Well, I know some people have made it the entire 6 months depositing large quantities of MO exclusively at WF. So it's obviously YMMV.
yes...YMMV ..i never used the ATM to make deposits...always went inside and established a relationship with the branch somehow...smalltalk, b.s story about of my trailer park, and the 'rent' my tenants are paying with *drumroll* MONEY ORDERS.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900
yes...YMMV ..i never used the ATM to make deposits...always went inside and established a relationship with the branch somehow...smalltalk, b.s story about of my trailer park, and the 'rent' my tenants are paying with *drumroll* MONEY ORDERS.
People say use the ATMs to avoid nosy and suspicious tellers, but I personally think going in branch may be superior if you've established a good relationship with the tellers or branch manager about your deposits. The back office (who reviews accounts and shuts them down) may call the branch first to see if they know you or the nature of your deposits. There's a small chance their response could make a difference in the outcome than if you are some faceless stranger that only uses the ATM.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:36 am

Credit is still not available after payment posted one week ago. What's the best use of the rewards?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by zackwz
Credit is still not available after payment posted one week ago. What's the best use of the rewards?
Feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but pay from your WF checking and it will be available immediately.
Best use....Donate them to a fellow FT'er and I will get great use out of them, 555555. Seriously though it all depends on which card(s) you have and your personal preferences.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:52 am

do you mix in other stuff when purchasing VGCs?

or do you have a consistent multiple charges of 504.95/505.95, 1009.90/1011.90, 1514.85/1517.85?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
do you mix in other stuff when purchasing VGCs?

or do you have a consistent multiple charges of 504.95/505.95, 1009.90/1011.90, 1514.85/1517.85?
I was mixing in other stuff like coffee, gas, etc....but I noticed that increased the fraud calls more. The call agent told me the " computer" determines everything from your spending patterns...so if all you do is spend $1500/ day ...then it won't bother you...but if it sees a unique spend (like a $2.95 charge, in a pool of $1500 charges), then it will go to DEFCON 1
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:33 pm

I was mixing in other stuff like coffee, gas, etc....but I noticed that increased the fraud calls more. The call agent told me the " computer" determines everything from your spending patterns...so if all you do is spend $1500/ day ...then it won't bother you...but if it sees a unique spend (like a $2.95 charge, in a pool of $1500 charges), then it will go to DEFCON 1
I'm not concerned about the fraud alerts, I'm more concerned about being flagged for MS with consistent $1514.85 charges from drugstore and $1517.85 charges from grocery.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:15 pm

I'm not concerned about the fraud alerts, I'm more concerned about being flagged for MS with consistent $1514.85 charges from drugstore and $1517.85 charges from grocery.
you need to concerned about the phone call alerts..cuz like i said, if you are doing irregular pattern spending, they will look at the account more closely. Set your spending pattern from the get-go and you will be fine..no matter where you are getting them. I was buying $3,000/day from grocery stores...and that didnt raise an eyebrow after I stopped using teh card for mediorcre purchases.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:54 pm

you need to concerned about the phone call alerts..cuz like i said, if you are doing irregular pattern spending, they will look at the account more closely. Set your spending pattern from the get-go and you will be fine..no matter where you are getting them. I was buying $3,000/day from grocery stores...and that didnt raise an eyebrow after I stopped using teh card for mediorcre purchases.
I've had the card for almost 2 months and I've only had 1 FA, so I already have my spending pattern.

Sometimes, I 'waste' time trying to figure out what to include so my purchases aren't all similar in amount.

so it doesn't raise any flags that I have multiple large charges of the same amount from CVS & RiteAid?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:01 pm

I've had the card for almost 2 months and I've only had 1 FA, so I already have my spending pattern.

Sometimes, I 'waste' time trying to figure out what to include so my purchases aren't all similar in amount.

so it doesn't raise any flags that I have multiple large charges of the same amount from CVS & RiteAid?
I had only two retailers on my spending...and that didn't raise flags....BUT..I also mixed the amounts on the VGC's....like $1501.80...$1011.73...etc etc....
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:07 am

Is Walmart coded as 5%? I swear I saw somewhere that Walmart was coded 5%, but can't find it any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.