FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1623803-wells-fargo-platinum-5x-grocery-gas-drugstores-2014-2015-a.html)

djbridge1974 Oct 27, 2014 9:49 am

Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015)

I have the WF Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstore card and have run about 30K in VGC. I received a message on my login last night stating that the usage of the card was temporarily restricted and that I needed to call their 1-800 number. Wondering what the best plan of attack would be to work through the situation. Certainly don't want to admit the MS aspect of the card usage. Also, don't want to lose the points I've accumulated.

eb56 Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am

Literally just say stuff that makes no sense. Confuse the hell out of the operator, but be sure to emphasize how much you like the card and enjoy the benefits.

weseh Oct 27, 2014 10:33 am

It's probably just a fraud alert. WF is very fraud-averse. Just call and confirm that was you and say you are stocking up since you just got this card and thank you for such a great card and you love WF as a bank.

RedCobra Oct 27, 2014 10:42 am

Do not call. It is NOT a typical fraud alert. This happened to several people I know personally. One, a relative newbie, called the number and long story short was shutdown. You will ultimately get the rewards you earned if you lay low and sock-drawer the card immediately.

hamhead Oct 27, 2014 10:51 am

Don't know why other people are freaking out but I received several messages like the OP on my login screen when I had my 5x period with Wells.

It goes to an automated fraud system. You confirm the past few charges, account unlocked, you are on your way. No people involved.

In my total six months with Wells, I never spoke with a live Wells employee once.

ibleed0range Oct 27, 2014 10:54 am

I also have not heard of anyone being shutdown except for a friend of mine. But he did overpay the account multiple times.

RedCobra Oct 27, 2014 11:09 am

Originally Posted by hamhead (Post 23743802)
Don't know why other people are freaking out but I received several messages like the OP on my login screen when I had my 5x period with Wells.

It goes to an automated fraud system. You confirm the past few charges, account unlocked, you are on your way. No people involved.

In my total six months with Wells, I never spoke with a live Wells employee once.

Most of the time it's automated but sometimes not. Also, try the number on the back of the card. If you've gotten past fraud alerts and noted down the number, try that as well. But if you always get routed to a human no matter what you try, you're done.

littlewinglet Oct 27, 2014 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ibleed0range (Post 23743817)
I also have not heard of anyone being shutdown except for a friend of mine. But he did overpay the account multiple times.

Can you please ask him to clarify what exactly he did? Was he spending several times the credit limit? Or pre-paying more than what the balance was?

ibleed0range Oct 27, 2014 11:32 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 23744013)
Can you please ask him to clarify what exactly he did? Was he spending several times the credit limit? Or pre-paying more than what the balance was?

Yes and kind of. He was trying to ACH pull from BB so the payment would post instant because Wells CL is freed up when you pay. He did this multiple times and all the payments got reversed. The wells fargo system is whacked.

littlewinglet Oct 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ibleed0range (Post 23744085)
Yes and kind of. He was trying to ACH pull from BB so the payment would post instant because Wells CL is freed up when you pay. He did this multiple times and all the payments got reversed. The wells fargo system is whacked.

Thanks, good to know. I have a WF checking acct so hopefully payments from there are treated with less suspicion.

xp0 Oct 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 23744407)
Thanks, good to know. I have a WF checking acct so hopefully payments from there are treated with less suspicion.

It depends actually. If you are doing small numbers it might be OK but if you are doing large numbers I do not believe it is good to deposit a lot in checking and use checking to pay off CC. WF does not look kindly at that ....

JoJo12 Oct 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Read this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ds-cap-77.html

It has many stories of why and how people get shut down when using this card.

littlewinglet Oct 27, 2014 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by pjleitch (Post 23746499)
Read this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ds-cap-77.html

It has many stories of why and how people get shut down when using this card.

The few shutdown stories I found only mention frequently paying off the balance, usually from outside sources too. A few people with WF checking said they were able to do 2-3x the CL for a while and only had a warning once. The dominant complain is incessant fraud alerts and the resulting hassle of having to call support.

jazzmailman Oct 28, 2014 12:27 am

it's a fraud alert, call to clear

tuphat Oct 30, 2014 12:25 pm

I've had this card for almost six months, coming to end of promo period. I've put through about $50k in purchases per month, on a $20k CL. My usual mode of payment has been through the WF site, pulling from my WF checking account, paying the current outstanding balance, although I have also BP from BB a few times.

I usually got a fraud alert if I spend more than $3k per day, which I tried to avoid. Pretty simple to clear, didn't have to deal with any humans along the way.