Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:44 pm

Got denied at WMs that are usually okey with MS. Now they want to see my name on debt card, no gift cards accepted. I have to wait it out I guess and try again later.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Got denied at WMs that are usually okey with MS. Now they want to see my name on debt card, no gift cards accepted. I have to wait it out I guess and try again later.
are you in SoCal by any chance? I hear from several people in Orange County about super vigilant WMs all of a sudden requiring to see names on the cards...
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
While on vacay, I bought MOs at an unknown to me WM. I used two VGCs which were both approved after I swiped them and saw the receipt print BUT no $1K MO printed. I asked cashier to let me look at the receipt and she handed it to me. It says there at the bottom CHANGE: $1000.70

She called the supervisor who obviously didn't know how to handle it but I was 100% sure they should give me my money back since it has already been taken out of my cards. I called to check my balance and they were zero on both cards. THAT plus the receipt printed and indicated change of $1000.70 meant that I shouldn't leave w/o settling the issue or else, I'm out the full amount and will have to go back to that branch later when they find out later. NO way would I agree to go back later till they figure it out since it was clear to me that I was owed a refund. I stayed calm all these time since I knew I was right.

I asked for a cash dept manager who, fortunately, understood it the way I did and asked them to check the machine to find out why it didn't print the MO (if it printed, then just give me the $1K MO) OR if it's broke, they have to give me refund of $1000.70 in cash. Soon as they re-booted the machine, the supervisor keyed in something for the payment and the MO printed. I was so relieved to get out of there with issue resolved.

For those who experience the same thing in unknown territories, make sure the issue is resolved before you leave and don't just take their word that funds will go back to card especially IF you saw a receipt print which means the transaction went through. If that's the case, funds will not go back to card(s) and if you inspect the receipt, I bet it'll say change is due if no MO prints.
Great advice - thank you!
Wish I knew it beforehand, but I had to learn the hard way. I had a similar situation (although not in unfamiliar WM) where I eventually had to leave, after being assured that money would return to my cards. Multiple calls later and multiple days of waiting (some people said it takes up to 10 days for money to return to cards), I got in touch with cash manager of the store who resolved the problem. Wish I knew then who to turn to for help.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:52 pm

i know 4 swipes is the max in WM, but can you do the following?

~~~~~~~~~

4 gebit swipe x $500 per swipe

then followed by

1 swipe of CC to pay the $1.40 fee

~~~~~~~~~

will the CC swipe counts as 5th swipe?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
i know 4 swipes is the max in WM, but can you do the following?

~~~~~~~~~

4 gebit swipe x $500 per swipe

then followed by

1 swipe of CC to pay the $1.40 fee

~~~~~~~~~

will the CC swipe counts as 5th swipe?
Try to pay with five CC's at a register. Very easy to find out.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
are you in SoCal by any chance? I hear from several people in Orange County about super vigilant WMs all of a sudden requiring to see names on the cards...
Same here all of a sudden in MW
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:29 pm

Are they ok with gc from gvm and gcc that have your name on them?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:49 am

Yes, the 5th swipe is what caused the problem. Only 4 card swipes per transction. Pay the fee in cash or include the fee in your total. Ask for 2 MO for 999.30 each.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:54 am

I alway's pay the $.70 in cash - way easier to say I need a $1000 MO, and not, oh I have $1000 so I need the largest MO possible that will total $1000 haha
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was back in the US (Midwest) for 10 days and I decided to try a little MSing. Simon worked the same as before, and they were happy to see me. I was able to buy Visa GCs at the WMs, too, but one place no longer had a rack and spot checking at a few checkouts didn't turn up any variable Visas.

All the WMs that worked for MOs before still worked and I was able to get 3 $1000s at several places and 4 $1000s at 2 stores. This was cashier-related -- I hadn't seen these cashiers before, so I guess they were unaware of any restrictions. I wasn't as dedicated as I could be and skipped MSing on several days, but I added a few points and miles to several accounts, so I'm happy.

I come back to the US in 6 months -- we'll see if it's still working then.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:33 pm

Got err 51 at Walmart the money was taken from my card :/
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:34 pm

Anyone upset besides me that GO Wallet app has been discontinued. What at pain and the A## it is to check balances now
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I was back in the US (Midwest) for 10 days and I decided to try a little MSing. Simon worked the same as before, and they were happy to see me. I was able to buy Visa GCs at the WMs, too, but one place no longer had a rack and spot checking at a few checkouts didn't turn up any variable Visas.

All the WMs that worked for MOs before still worked and I was able to get 3 $1000s at several places and 4 $1000s at 2 stores. This was cashier-related -- I hadn't seen these cashiers before, so I guess they were unaware of any restrictions. I wasn't as dedicated as I could be and skipped MSing on several days, but I added a few points and miles to several accounts, so I'm happy.

I come back to the US in 6 months -- we'll see if it's still working then.
Welcome back!! As in the last ebbs and flows.. one of my WM recently went for $10s of Ks to 1 transaction.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:05 am

Was at my local WM buying MO this morning and was this new sign posted. Looks like WM now has a more 'legit' (although much more expensive) way of cashing out GCs.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Was at my local WM buying MO this morning and was this new sign posted. Looks like WM now has a more 'legit' (although much more expensive) way of cashing out GCs.
Is that $3 fee per GC swiped during a transaction, or $3 for the entire transaction? Or am I misunderstanding and each GC cashed out is counted as a transaction? (If it's the latter then this is not a great option... hopefully they don't crack down on doing MOs with this new policy)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.