Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by MoneyWOMcom
Have not seen anything on GiftCardMall Visa Debt being used for WM MO in the last 30 days. Let's update for everyone's benefit.

Here is what I used to do:
-Bought multiple $500 plain GiftCardMall Visa Debt cards with my name on it using a credit card I needed to manufacture spedning on here: here...link

-Created a 4 digit PIN when they arrived

-Loaded the card to Blue Bird at the WM Money Center. Wrote blue bird checks to pay for stuff

-Win

What I think I can do now, but really am not sure:

-Buy multiple $500 plain GiftCardMall Visa Debt cards with my name on it using a credit card I needed to manufacture spedning on here: here...link

-Create 4 digit pin when they arrive

-Go to Walmart and get a MO at the Money center written out to me

-Deposit the check in my bank

-Pay my bills

-Win

Anything wrong with this plan as of 11.1.16?
Shouldn't need to create a PIN when VGC arrive, default is last four digits of card.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Shouldn't need to create a PIN when VGC arrive, default is last four digits of card.
I always change the default pin. Protects my cards from anyone that is knowledgeable.

Edit: Imagine ordering up a buttload of cards and getting robbed by some slimeball that has remote knowledge of MS. He/she tries the default and it works on the first card....

Last edited by pharmawalk; Nov 3, 2016 at 10:07 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I always change the default pin. Protects my cards from anyone that is knowledgeable.

Edit: Imagine ordering up a buttload of cards and getting robbed by some slimeball that has remote knowledge of MS. He/she tries the default and it works on the first card....
They can be used as credit though...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pharmawalk

Does not matter if you misplace / lose your card. See below.

Originally Posted by planetmans
Exactly.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by planetmans
Had my cards stolen from the mail earlier this year. Thieves had the cojones to call GCM and activate all of them (which they did successfully) then proceeded to go on a shopping spree. Problem was all the information they needed was already on the package. Policy has since changed and now you need to know the phone number related to the account used for the purchase when calling in for activation (the number is not printed anywhere on the packaging). If this happens again and they say they don't know the phone number, GCM will hopefully cancel the cards and ask them to place a new order (with their own credit card!). In all fairness, I had no problems getting my money back since they told me to dispute the charge with my CC, then they did not contest the chargeback and I was refunded automatically. It was a bit like stumbling in the dark, since no one really guided me on the whole process, only enough info to get to the next step, etc.. just wanted to let others know how it works if mail theft is an issue in your area. I did end up sending all future orders to a secure site, since I didn't want to press my luck again.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bodiddely
I always set my standard GC PIN on my cards while walking/driving. Like yesterday, while walking out with MaceRich cards I used my bluetooth and phone to set the PIN while walking back to car. I know the prompts so I tap numbers immediately and finish fast. I had 4 out of 5 set before reaching my car.

I like being able to type the PIN as casually at the PINpad as I do with my bank debit, *without* looking at the card. When puling a GC out of right pocket is it is quickly swiped, then goes into left pocket while I type the PIN with my right. Minimal opportunity for viewing.

YMMV.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Nov 3, 2016 at 11:04 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ECCM
Had my cards stolen from the mail earlier this year. Thieves had the cojones to call GCM and activate all of them (which they did successfully) then proceeded to go on a shopping spree. Problem was all the information they needed was already on the package. Policy has since changed and now you need to know the phone number related to the account used for the purchase when calling in for activation (the number is not printed anywhere on the packaging). If this happens again and they say they don't know the phone number, GCM will hopefully cancel the cards and ask them to place a new order (with their own credit card!). In all fairness, I had no problems getting my money back since they told me to dispute the charge with my CC, then they did not contest the chargeback and I was refunded automatically. It was a bit like stumbling in the dark, since no one really guided me on the whole process, only enough info to get to the next step, etc.. just wanted to let others know how it works if mail theft is an issue in your area. I did end up sending all future orders to a secure site, since I didn't want to press my luck again.
Thank you for posting this. It always worries me with the Staples orders as it is supplied by GCM, which as we all know, could easily activate the cards over the phone with info already on the package - they never ask for the order number generated by Staples - if they do, then it would be one safety guard.
Good for you to eventually get a satisfactory outcome although I am sure there was anxiety and worry along the way.
Also good to know GMC now initiates some safety guard on that. Wonder if it also applies to the orders from Staples.

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
I always set my standard GC PIN on my cards while walking/driving. Like yesterday, while walking out with MaceRich cards I used my bluetooth and phone to set the PIN while walking back to car. I know the prompts so I tap numbers immediately and finish fast. I had 4 out of 5 set before reaching my car.

I like being able to type the PIN as casually at the PINpad as I do with my bank debit, *without* looking at the card. When puling a GC out of right pocket is it is quickly swiped, then goes into left pocket while I type the PIN with my right. Minimal opportunity for viewing.

YMMV.
Ditto.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 3:13 pm

Anyone can change the PIN

Anyone who somehow(tampering, hacking, etc) knows the a card's details can change the PIN.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:42 am

failed SM MGC trial

tried to buy MO with a $250 MGC from SM but failed

my process went like: let him know I need a $249 MO, ask him wait for me, swipe, cancel, change to DEBIT, press NO for cash back today, key in PIN with out press ENTER, then tell him to go ahead, press ENTER after he "go ahead".

it pops the DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR. CODE 57

what went wrong or any steps in wrong order? it is the system with big green ENTER button.

TIA.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by lljj
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE APPR. CODE 57
57 or "51" ?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
57 or "51" ?
it is a 57, unfortunately.

I'll later try another WM with verifone system to see what happen. but man the MGC truly is the PITA.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Free money or just an interesting story?

Interesting thing happened to a friend of mine recently.
So, he tried to purchase a MoneyGram Money Order at WalMart with Visa Buxx Debit card. All went fine until the MO was issued, but then something happened to their register, the receipt printer got jammed, and a Supervisor needed to restart the whole register. To be sure the transaction happened and were complete they made him call his Debit Card issuer for them to talk to them and get confirmation that the transactions are not in Pending status and are completed. They got their confirmation. But then, now my friend is telling me that couple of hours later he got credit to his debit card about the whole amount. And he still has the money order. So, is this free money?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat
So, he tried to purchase a MoneyGram Money Order at WalMart with Visa Buxx Debit card. All went fine until the MO was issued, but then something happened to their register, the receipt printer got jammed, and a Supervisor needed to restart the whole register. To be sure the transaction happened and were complete they made him call his Debit Card issuer for them to talk to them and get confirmation that the transactions are not in Pending status and are completed. They got their confirmation. But then, now my friend is telling me that couple of hours later he got credit to his debit card about the whole amount. And he still has the money order. So, is this free money?
I would think the money order would be voided, but that's just my guess. No firsthand knowledge.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:57 pm

It'll come up short somewhere, if the MO has not been invalidated. If he feels like doing the "right thing" he should go back and talk to the cash manager
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:29 pm

I recall a post in another board where he thought he got free money with a similar situation experienced by your friend. he deposited MO to his bank and let the funds sit in his DC. three weeks later, he got a call from his bank that his MO deposited on x date was voided (he knew it was the MO which he thought he got for free). it turned out, when WM found out the discrepancy, they voided the MO. IIRC, he was charged a fine for the voided MO which he said the bank explained was similar to a bounced check. the bank refused to waive the penalty.

on hindsight, he said it's best to go back to the store and deal with the cash department so they can investigate asap. he was told the next time it happened, two things can be done:1) void the current MO that technically wasn't paid for and 2)do a new transaction that gets approved followed by immediate printing of the MO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.