Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by slowreactor
Is that $3 fee per GC swiped during a transaction, or $3 for the entire transaction? Or am I misunderstanding and each GC cashed out is counted as a transaction? (If it's the latter then this is not a great option... hopefully they don't crack down on doing MOs with this new policy)
$3.00 per gc
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Was at my local WM buying MO this morning and was this new sign posted. Looks like WM now has a more 'legit' (although much more expensive) way of cashing out GCs.
Yea... they've had it for a while. Its meant for prepaids received through work, the kind issued by your employer with your name on it... ask and I bet they will say no to your gift cards.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Yea... they've had it for a while. Its meant for prepaids received through work, the kind issued by your employer with your name on it... ask and I bet they will say no to your gift cards.
Never heard of employers issuing prepaid cards, but I can see how that could be profitable to some employers...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:56 pm

Limit of 3 cards per day. Won't get too far cashing out only $1500 per day
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:12 am

Please remember this is the MW OM thread not the how to liquidate CH at MW thread.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:59 pm

Yes....my regular Wally NM gal who knows me said there is a new policy and checked my card prior to one MO purchase.

Originally Posted by in4tar
are you in SoCal by any chance? I hear from several people in Orange County about super vigilant WMs all of a sudden requiring to see names on the cards...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by chalucky
Yes....my regular Wally NM gal who knows me said there is a new policy and checked my card prior to one MO purchase.
My condolences. Seriously dreading the day if/when my WM implements a no VGC for MO rule. Would probably have to switch to grocery store MGC -> USPS MO, and would only bother with that for signup bonuses. Currently do about 10-15k/week at my WM with Simon VGCs between MO and BP, with a few grocery Metabank VGCs thrown in purchased on my PRG.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: Jet Blue, AA, Delta, United, BA, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Got denied at WMs that are usually okey with MS. Now they want to see my name on debt card, no gift cards accepted. I have to wait it out I guess and try again later.
Same thing happened with me in the Boston area today.

I need to liquidate a bunch of VGC's I got from a Staples deal.

Going to try a local Grocery store that sells MO's, as my last resort.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by BostoMan

Mind sharing which one?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by BostoMan

Was this at a WM that was previously MS/VGC friendly?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:33 pm

Here's a story about WM, CC's, family and MO's:

Day 1:

I was doing a family member a favor as a birthday gift, by signing them up for a better credit card with 0% apr for 15 months. Then going with them to buy 3.5k worth of VGC's to pay off credit cards they had which were going back to normal APR's soon.

Buying the VGC's were simple, the first problem I ran into was the PO rejected the VGC's we bought from Simon and S&S. Then the WM we went to had a down MO machine. After that I told my family member, I'll just handle it and I’ll see them later. I'm very trustworthy, wouldn't steer them wrong. Had to drive to another WM just to get 1k, I could feel it out not to over work the CSR. After that I called it a day, 2.5K to go.

Day 2:

I take a day off since it was raining all day and decided to map out a WM run for the next day.

Day 3:

I planned to hit 3 WM's to get MO's. The first one I went too wasn't busy at all I was the only person(amazing), I asked about doing 3 debit cards and the CSR wasn't sure. I chickened out and just did 2 and got another 1k, 1.5k to go. After that I really should have done another 1k with two other cards but, I still feel uneasy about the whole process even though I've done it like 20 plus times.

Now my route includes the WM that had the machine down two days before. I get there and they suddenly have a policy of one debit card only. Okay that sucks, but it's another .5K down and 1k to go. I head to what I thought was the last WM, this is the WM I had just got 1k from two days ago. It's a busy place and I was asked to show my two debit cards. I've never done the trick of showing your actual debit cards and switching at payment and was caught off guard. I showed her one of the gebit cards and she couldn't use it because my name wasn't on it. I then left and was disappointed, plugged in a new WM in my GPS and went there, damn WM's are everywhere

Now I’m at the 4th WM, all over prepared mentally for world war 3. The first thing that happens is that the CSR asks to see both my bankcards and my ID. I actually do have 2 bank cards so I show them, then put them and my ID back in my wallet and take out the last 2 gebits and swipe with them. Then I’m done, I felt kind of shady after I left. I then saw a man with his wife holding a sign about needing money. I gave him a 5-dollar bill and felt clean again

Outcome:

Myself and another family member cashed out the rest of the MO's for my family member so they could pay off their CC's. Basically I got them a no fee balance transfer and they got the $250 sign up bonus from the AMEX BCE and I got some new experience. I also have a bunch of gas points from S&S from the VGC promotion they had, so driving to all the WM's didn't cost me that much.

Final Thoughts:

Basically you need a lot of confidence to do this smoothly, I'm not perfect. MS can feel like your doing something illegal because all the policies in place. You need to have two bankcards, ID and confidence that what your doing is perfectly fine. You also need to understand the current policy that is being fed to CSR. There's no point in arguing and taking up too much time, be prepared to move on. If you have over 1k to do at a WM, be prepared mentally on how you will switch to the other cards. Things are getting stricter, try researching new sources for MO's.

Last edited by joeaseer; Nov 1, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by joeaseer
[B]

Day 2:

MS can feel like your doing something illegal because all the policies in place. You need to have two bankcards, ID and confidence that what your doing is perfectly fine. You also need to understand the current policy that is being fed to CSR. There's no point in arguing and taking up too much time, be prepared to move on. If you have over 1k to do at a WM, be prepared mentally on how you will switch to the other cards. Things are getting stricter, try researching new sources for MO's.
Some may get away with pulling out a real debit card and doing a switcheroo, but when you get caught you look shady as hell, good way to be banned from there.

Your advice nowadays is very bad advice IMO.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
That is one wild story, joeaseer, but I certainly do understand your stance on MSing for family members. They're like effort multipliers!

Also, it's a little weird to see the WM dance laid out so descriptively here.

I MS at WM sometimes. Usually with SMGCs. The gas points from S&S would occasionally be very handy though, a real money saver at the pump. I buy $1k MOs and always inform the cashier that there's going to be "$500 on this card," and then there's always a 50% chance we'll share an asymmetrically awkward chuckle-moment when the register shows an even $500 balance remaining.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:36 pm

Have not seen anything on GiftCardMall Visa Debt being used for WM MO in the last 30 days. Let's update for everyone's benefit.

Here is what I used to do:
-Bought multiple $500 plain GiftCardMall Visa Debt cards with my name on it using a credit card I needed to manufacture spedning on here: here...link

-Created a 4 digit PIN when they arrived

-Loaded the card to Blue Bird at the WM Money Center. Wrote blue bird checks to pay for stuff

-Win

What I think I can do now, but really am not sure:

-Buy multiple $500 plain GiftCardMall Visa Debt cards with my name on it using a credit card I needed to manufacture spedning on here: here...link

-Create 4 digit pin when they arrive

-Go to Walmart and get a MO at the Money center written out to me

-Deposit the check in my bank

-Pay my bills

-Win

Anything wrong with this plan as of 11.1.16?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by MoneyWOMcom

What I think I can do now, but really am not sure:

-Buy multiple $500 plain GiftCardMall Visa Debt cards with my name on it using a credit card I needed to manufacture spedning on here: here...link

-Create 4 digit pin when they arrive

-Go to Walmart and get a MO at the Money center written out to me

-Deposit the check in my bank

-Pay my bills

-Win

Anything wrong with this plan as of 11.1.16?
It's YMMV. That's exactly what I do without issues. But it seems others are facing some hiccups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.