Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by themasterpiece1
I need some help please. I been buying MOs at this one WM fine until today when the register glitched.

I was buying a $299.30 MO with a $300 Visa Gift Card from Staples. I have done this many times without an issue. Today the register said invalid debit transaction, which is fine since I can try at another WM. However, when I got to the car I checked the balance on the gift card and it was 0. I immediately called Giftcardmall (the number on the back of the gift card) and told them of the situation. They said to go back to the store to process a refund and if that did not work I would have to file a dispute. I spoke to a manager at WM and they informed me that they think it might be a hold on the card and that I should wait 24-48 hours until the hold falls off. The WM manager spoke to the cashier and she verified that the transaction did not go through.

I remember reading on these forums a very similar story and they had to dispute the charge. Anything I should do to make sure the dispute goes through correctly? I don't mind that the dispute process can take 90 days but I just want to make sure that I do get my money back.

On the gift card mall website it shows a successful purchase at Walmart today for $300. This was right after the MO transaction was invalid.
I've had similar experiences. It usually shows back on the card in about 24hrs. I've heard some state 48hrs. As always hang onto any receipt you may have just in case.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
I've had similar experiences. It usually shows back on the card in about 24hrs. I've heard some state 48hrs. As always hang onto any receipt you may have just in case.
Data point: same here, except SGCs for a different amount. 3 of them crapped out throughout the day. According to BH (after calling the CS number), this has been a known issue going on all day.

According to a BH call center manager (FWIW), they have contacted WM, and they expect the funds to return within 24-48 hours.

Fingers crossed, bc this will be a PITA to clear up with WM's cash office, at which point they'll probably reconsider their (specific store's) policy for MOs.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Lekuxs15
Angry? Aren't we all allowed to have our own opinions?
LOL. Speak for yourself! I'm not the one in a tizzy about someone doing $10k in a WM and thinking that one incident is going to kill WM MOs.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:00 pm

DP: local OD ran out of dining everywhere cards (I suspect I am the one who's been cleaning it up) however I spotted a Styling Everywhere card on the shelve and decided to test it. Sure enough it turned into a MO just fine at my Wally
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Lekuxs15
To begin, disagree. As we have seen this year the only way to keep a deal going is moderation. Go to other places, come back again in a day or 2. This particular WM has never had any kind of paperwork needed. Been going here for 4years. To conclude, disagree

There is nothing wrong with doing $10k. Everyone has that right and WM is supposed to make them fill out paperwork. If you really wanted to say something (although I would never say something to another MSer) I would have told him to get out of line after the 2nd or 3rd cycle and re-queue if there was a long line. That brings less attention to what we are doing.
You're not wrong, but nothing is going to change the fact the there will always be churners/MSers that are going to go full speed and do as much as then can, as fast as they can, where ever they can. I'm a believer of the slow and steady method, but with the rate at which things get closed down these days I can see why people are going balls out.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
I think Chelski's point (and I'm only assuming) is not to let things like that bother you. There will be plenty more instances like this in a MSers life.

There is nothing wrong with doing $10k. Everyone has that right and WM is supposed to make them fill out paperwork. If you really wanted to say something (although I would never say something to another MSer) I would have told him to get out of line after the 2nd or 3rd cycle and re-queue if there was a long line. That brings less attention to what we are doing.
Hit hard and enjoy while it lasts. The only limit is the one an individual store sets or cashier. No one is entitled to ms. Getting out of line can give the appearance of structuring. As long as cashier knows you are doing $50k then it shouldn't matter as long as they can keep track.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: Several dozen
Smile

No one is entitled to ms? Matthew 6:26 says differently. The word is that those who fly are entitled to fly without the need to sow or reap.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:31 am

It has not been a good week in the DFW area. Last month NM market went dark, and their swiper is now hard coded to not accept any USBank debits. This week one long time WM with a long time friendly cashier went no more than 1 card per MO, and a long time NM with a very friendly cashier went no prepaid debits at all. Talked to a friend from another area of DFW today and they said two of their Walmarts stopped accepting prepaid debits this week as well. I hope this is just coincidence, but that's a lot of good places going offline in the span of a week.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by knopfler
It has not been a good week in the DFW area. Last month NM market went dark, and their swiper is now hard coded to not accept any USBank debits. This week one long time WM with a long time friendly cashier went no more than 1 card per MO, and a long time NM with a very friendly cashier went no prepaid debits at all. Talked to a friend from another area of DFW today and they said two of their Walmarts stopped accepting prepaid debits this week as well. I hope this is just coincidence, but that's a lot of good places going offline in the span of a week.
Is the Tarsier (or whatever his name is) still abusing that town hardcore? Probably why they're shutting down. Got tired of people coming in and monopolizing the register for an hour with unprofitable activities.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Is the Tarsier (or whatever his name is) still abusing that town hardcore? Probably why they're shutting down. Got tired of people coming in and monopolizing the register for an hour with unprofitable activities.
I know who you are talking about, but not sure what he looks like, however the other day the person in front of me bought at least $4k and he was at the register when I walked in so he may have been finishing up a $20k run for all I know. The cashier seemed relieved when I only asked for $2k
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:26 pm

I had 4 SM VGC not work at the same WM NM that they worked at 2 days ago. Is this permanent?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by shooshmack
I had 4 SM VGC not work at the same WM NM that they worked at 2 days ago. Is this permanent?
When that happens it's usually antemporary glitch. But like I said a few posts above, there is one NM in my area that is hard coded to not accept USBank debits, and that just started about a month ago. Only way to know formsure is to go back and try again.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by shooshmack
I purchased a MO last evening without any problems.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:51 am

Got back from couple weeks of traveling and went to WM to buy a MO today with Simon GCs. Cashier said something about manager not allowing split payments any longer but another CSR told her to do it and it worked fine. Guessing if that manager was around it would not have gone that well.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:10 pm

MCGC

Tried a MCGC at Wally today I haven't tried to buy an MO at yet. Ran into a problem with the cancel/switch to debit. I was splitting up 3 cards, 2 MCGC and then was going to use one Visa. At this Wally after you swipe the signature line will pop up right away for credit and it prints out a receipt with an error code, if you swipe again the cancel button appears on the screen and you can then switch to debit. I was able to get one card to swipe but when it happen the second time they caught on and said 'no gift cards only bank debit cards'. Ugh! I think the Wally closer to my house doesn't have the problem with MCGC yet, they usually convert to debit automatically but I hate to go there to often. Still need to hunt for some grocery stores in my area that aren't cash only to see if I can have any success. Anyone else have this issue or am I just to slow to notice the cancel button on the screen? There is one on the pin pad but I assumed if I hit that it will cancel the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.