Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by gap4jason
Hi Lumangoy, is your process similar to CBN42 post?

Me: "I would like a money order for $800."
CSR: (pushes buttons) "That will be $800.70"
Me: (swipe first card, enter PIN, but don't press enter yet) "Could I put $200 on this card?"
CSR: (pushes buttons) "OK go ahead"
Me: (press enter, wait for APPROVED message, then swipe next card and repeat process)

Thanks!
no, they don't push any button before I swipe. Only after I swipe and enter pin do they push whatever buttons they need to press and enter amount.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:49 pm

I just got back and failed. I'm sure I did something wrong. First I said I need a money order for $799.30 (I have 4 MCGCs). Once I did so, the CSR started to punch in the #s and I swiped the card around the same time. Nothing popped. No options. So I had to tell her that I want $200 on the 1st swipe...she keyed in the #s and a receipt came out, required cash or debit.

I played the innocent card and just said that I'll be back. I remembered Lumangoy's tip of swiping the card first before the rep punches in the $200. So within 5 mins, I came back in. My earlier transaction was still up. She said she couldn't just delete it. Ok whatever. So I asked her before she punched in $200, allow me to swipe first. And she did. Again, failed. Same printout. I didn't want to cause a scene. I just offered to try again later.

In hindsight, maybe if I had a newer transaction instead of using the old transaction. Maybe it will work. I'll just have to give it a try again tomorrow.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
no, they don't push any button before I swipe. Only after I swipe and enter pin do they push whatever buttons they need to press and enter amount.
I just missed your reply. So will it go something like this

Me: I need a money order for $799.30, can I swipe first BEFORE you punch in anything
CSR: Yes (allows me to swipe) and then what's next?

Sorry if I'm being too detailed. I just want to make sure I get these $800 cared for 😬😬😬

Thanks again, Lumangoy.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:09 pm

I played the innocent card and just said that I'll be back. I remembered Lumangoy's tip of swiping the card first before the rep punches in the $200. So within 5 mins, I came back in. My earlier transaction was still up. She said she couldn't just delete it. Ok whatever. So I asked her before she punched in $200, allow me to swipe first. And she did. Again, failed. Same printout. I didn't want to cause a scene. I just offered to try again later.
I've noticed that once the signature entry comes up/the receipt prints, you're SOL for MGC during that transaction. Keep some backup VGC to finish it out with.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
I've noticed that once the signature entry comes up/the receipt prints, you're SOL for MGC during that transaction. Keep some backup VGC to finish it out with.
Not at my WM, I am able to swipe again the same MCGC and make sure I cancel. Sometimes even when the car enters amount after I swipe and enter pin, if I don't hit cancel or change payment fast enough, it defaults to credit.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:47 pm

I just missed your reply. So will it go something like this

Me: I need a money order for $799.30, can I swipe first BEFORE you punch in anything
CSR: Yes (allows me to swipe) and then what's next?

Sorry if I'm being too detailed. I just want to make sure I get these $800 cared for 😬😬😬

Thanks again, Lumangoy.
I'm not sure what they do after I enter my pin, I'm sure one of them is the amount, but it accepts the transaction and I swipe the next card.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:53 pm

I'm not sure what they do after I enter my pin, I'm sure one of them is the amount, but it accepts the transaction and I swipe the next card.
Lumangoy,
so once the CSR allows me to swipe first before he/she punches anything, will something happen to the screen in front of me after I swipe?

Or will the screen in front of me change once the CSR starts to punch something in?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:07 pm

Lumangoy,
so once the CSR allows me to swipe first before he/she punches anything, will something happen to the screen in front of me after I swipe?

Or will the screen in front of me change once the CSR starts to punch something in?
No. Whether csr enters amount or not, it looks like the first pic I posted. (Sorry, am on tablet, not easy to repost pic)

You need to see the cancel screen,and be quick to cancel it so you can change to debit.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:46 pm

No. Whether csr enters amount or not, it looks like the first pic I posted. (Sorry, am on tablet, not easy to repost pic)

You need to see the cancel screen,and be quick to cancel it so you can change to debit.
Ok thanks, will give it a try again in the am......I appreciate it
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:50 am

Well...I had a bit of a success this morning. Although I purchase 4 MCGCs, I decided to give 1 or 2 of them a try and see how it goes. I approached the CSR and informed her that I need a Money Order for $200 (I planned on paying the 70 cents in cash)

Even before she got to her register, I started to SWIPE the card....nothing happened. I didn't want to panic....she finally did her thing...and I remember the screen in front of me changed with money order amount of $200 and the $0.70 cent charge....there was a pause, I guess it prompted me to swipe the card again...so I did. This time...the CANCEL button showed up and stayed on for awhile....I clicked it, then chose DEBIT....and then a receipt came out....flagging that I used a Credit card, she said her screen showed I used a credit card.

I remained calm and asked the CSR if we could try it again, this time using $199.30 as the MO amount....we went through the exact same thing as described above, and this time...SUCCESS. So for me, it worked out when I used a lower amount that made my transaction total $200 ($199.30 + 70 cents).

Since she was nice, I asked if I could have another MO for the same exact thing....$199.30.....it all worked out. As much as I paid 70 cents 2x, I didn't mind. I got the $15 off rebate, and I'm just glad that I was able to get rid of 2 of the 4 MCGCs so far.

Thanks Lumangoy and all.....this site is so helpful.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:21 pm

I also got a way through. Just like the post above, the yellow "change payment" button (equivalent to cancel button described in recent posts) appears if I use single MCGC use for whole transaction ($199.30 MO), OR split and use MCGC as the last payment. I have several VGC, so for a $399.30 MO, pay with visa first and as soon as it approves, slide MCGC before CSR does anything, then yellow button appears.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:36 pm

I just got back and failed. I'm sure I did something wrong. First I said I need a money order for $799.30 (I have 4 MCGCs). Once I did so, the CSR started to punch in the #s and I swiped the card around the same time. Nothing popped. No options. So I had to tell her that I want $200 on the 1st swipe...she keyed in the #s and a receipt came out, required cash or debit.

In hindsight, maybe if I had a newer transaction instead of using the old transaction. Maybe it will work. I'll just have to give it a try again tomorrow.
It just doesn't work at some terminals / Walmarts in my experience.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by missing_link
It just doesn't work at some terminals / Walmarts in my experience.
I agree. I've tried at 3. Two have newer looking, more open pin-pads. At them, the MCGC's run as credit no matter what. The third has more of a shroud over the pin-pad so it is harder for others (or you) to see the pin being entered. I get the yellow "change payment" option button there and I can redeem my MCGCs. The yellow button is still rather picky and if I don't hit in just the right spot at just the right instant, I have to try again. More than once the CSR has run out of patience after 3 tries or so.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyernick
I agree. I've tried at 3. Two have newer looking, more open pin-pads. At them, the MCGC's run as credit no matter what. The third has more of a shroud over the pin-pad so it is harder for others (or you) to see the pin being entered. I get the yellow "change payment" option button there and I can redeem my MCGCs. The yellow button is still rather picky and if I don't hit in just the right spot at just the right instant, I have to try again. More than once the CSR has run out of patience after 3 tries or so.
I agree as well. I went back to the WM near my house and it failed. I did exactly what I did with the other WM where it worked for me, meaning I swiped BEFORE the rep even did anything. But at WM near me it didn't work. At least I know where it works 😬😬😬
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Does US MC work for MOs in WM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.