Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:51 pm

Local WM here doesn't care if you ask for oddball amounts (***.30). However, today the CSR said there is a new limit of 2 swipes. I got her to try 4 anyway and it worked. Not sure if it was her making things up, a new store policy or an impending hardcoded change
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by llll
Local WM here doesn't care if you ask for oddball amounts (***.30). However, today the CSR said there is a new limit of 2 swipes. I got her to try 4 anyway and it worked. Not sure if it was her making things up, a new store policy or an impending hardcoded change
They can make up the policy on the fly and it can vary from CSM to CSM (shift to shift). Just don't have them ask because that usually leads to a more unfavorable decision across shifts. limit is 4 regardless of what they claim.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:29 pm

I heard the 2 swipe limit while at a store in Columbia, MD last week. The CSR stated it was a new policy. I was only passing through so I never had a chance to verify one way or the other.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:55 am

For MCGC - System upgrade at local Walmart. No longer getting the yellow "Change Payment" button, now it's a red "Cancel" button. Press "Cancel" then up pops up a bunch of choices, select debit and it works fine.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Originally Posted by llll
Oddball numbers are the way I'm most comfortable with. Instead of $1000.70, requiring 3 separate sales terminal interactions by the CSR, $999.30 necessitates me only having to specify $500 on 1 card. The remaining sum of $499.30 + .70 cents then automatically drains the $500 balance on card 2. Also I do not carry bills or change, and I feel better not having to involve the cash drawer or hard currency. Can't think of a downside right now. My bank also seems cool with a few thousand self-addressed MoneyGram MOs now and then, so no trouble there. If four swipes are possible, it would be very convenient to purchase a $1999.30 MO with 4 x $500 SMGCs. I may be mistaken, but there isn't anything in the Wiki to contradict this.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:17 pm

Today CSR wouldn't allow GC and only 1 swipe with debt card that has my name on it.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
Today CSR wouldn't allow GC and only 1 swipe with debt card that has my name on it.
Different CSRs and/or locations ask for different things, today i visited 3 Wally, none asked for name on card and they allowed split payments, yesterday i was driving through Marietta, CA, the wally CSR asked to see that the card has my name on it, i showed her from a distance, and went on with my MO with a split payment, this is widely YMMV.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:52 pm

I know I'll go do different WM but I've never had that issue at this WM before.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by gw14
For MCGC - System upgrade at local Walmart. No longer getting the yellow "Change Payment" button, now it's a red "Cancel" button. Press "Cancel" then up pops up a bunch of choices, select debit and it works fine.
i have been getting a hard time with MCGC at many walmarts, tried 2 today, it doesn't allow me to do anything, just whoosh goes the page printing credit not allowed.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:09 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by gamzarme
Oddball numbers are the way I'm most comfortable with. Instead of $1000.70, requiring 3 separate sales terminal interactions by the CSR, $999.30 necessitates me only having to specify $500 on 1 card. The remaining sum of $499.30 + .70 cents then automatically drains the $500 balance on card 2. Also I do not carry bills or change, and I feel better not having to involve the cash drawer or hard currency. Can't think of a downside right now. My bank also seems cool with a few thousand self-addressed MoneyGram MOs now and then, so no trouble there. If four swipes are possible, it would be very convenient to purchase a $1999.30 MO with 4 x $500 SMGCs. I may be mistaken, but there isn't anything in the Wiki to contradict this.
In my experience the max money order at Wally is $1k, so you would need to ask for $1998.60 to allow for the cost of 2 MO's. they can run it all as one transaction so you pay via 4x swipes
Sometimes they screw it up though, for example inexperienced CSR processes it as 2 separate transactions so first one costs $1000.70 which totally screws up the 2 swipe solution. Best have some loose change in your pocket in case this happens
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
i have been getting a hard time with MCGC at many walmarts, tried 2 today, it doesn't allow me to do anything, just whoosh goes the page printing credit not allowed.
I believe this is partially due to the numerous models of credit card terminals they have now.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Originally Posted by canyoncar
I believe this is partially due to the numerous models of credit card terminals they have now.
i am stuck with around 1800$ MCGC no idea what to do with those,
any idea whats the best way to get them liquidated? Should i head USPS?
Does Serve work by any chance?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:45 am

Grocery store. If they are sticklers, just buy one with one card every time you buy groceries.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
Suspended

You're not really stuck, since you can always unload them instead of using a CC, till they are used up. Now if you had say $20k and you're usual reg spend on CCs is say $1000 a month then you would have a problem, as it would take you 20 months till they were used up
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:56 pm

DP: WM neighborhood market worked when liquidating DE VGCs purchased from OD but error-ed out at only one of the two regular WMs I go to.
Not sure what's the difference between the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.