Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:40 am

i tried once as well. the cancel button then debit button appears very fleetingly.
i wasnt successful in liquidating. the dreaded receipt printed twice and the cashier starts becoming suspicious and asked me whether am i using GC. i played dumb and quickly used my backup VGC and all was fine again. thankfully cashier didnt force me to hand over the failed MGC that i was using

in my opinion, not worth the repeated tries, effort or suspicion, if i cant get it right. just go to PO to liquidate the MGC
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:28 pm

Had a couple SM VGCs fail today when making a MO run. Hit 3 different locations, the first was a complete bust (pretty sure the CSR was not entering the $500 debit properly on her end so the transaction kept failing) and the third one she had to split it in 2 as the first 2 cards went through fine, but something was going on with her terminal for the third and it wasn't going through. When I looked at the receipt for that one, it showed the attempts to bill the remaining $1k to the cards. But she did run another transaction for the 2nd MO and it ended fine.

In two of the three cases, I had to show debits with my name. I have 6 different "real" debit cards, so once they saw those, there was no problem with the transaction when I went with the gebits instead.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:42 pm

Successfully did a split tender $1k MO today with SM VGC
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:36 pm

PayPal disabled bank transfers on my account, and I want to empty my account of about $1000. My PayPal debit card still works, so I would like to buy a $1000 money order at Walmart, but because it is a Master Card, will I run into any issues with the terminal defaulting to credit, and having to hit the cancel button to select debit or does that only happen with Master Card gift cards?

I would guess that they PayPal debit card functions more similarly to a bank debit card than a Master Card gift card, so I guess the question is if legitimate bank debit Master Cards default to credit.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by planetmans
PayPal disabled bank transfers on my account, and I want to empty my account of about $1000. My PayPal debit card still works, so I would like to buy a $1000 money order at Walmart, but because it is a Master Card, will I run into any issues with the terminal defaulting to credit, and having to hit the cancel button to select debit or does that only happen with Master Card gift cards?

I would guess that they PayPal debit card functions more similarly to a bank debit card than a Master Card gift card, so I guess the question is if legitimate bank debit Master Cards default to credit.
I was able to use my PayPal debit card at a Stop & Shop for a $1,000 money order with no issues. I don't remember having to select any specific option
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:51 pm

DP: The new fancy terminals at WM do not allow the MCGC cancel/select-debit trick.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
DP: The new fancy terminals at WM do not allow the MCGC cancel/select-debit trick.
Which model of terminal? I had problems with a newer one but eventually got it figured out.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:46 pm

This is the new, non-functional one:

This is the old functional terminal:
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:36 pm

This is the new, non-functional one:

This is the old functional terminal:

I can confirm that the new terminals do indeed show the button to switch payment. I've done with with probably 20 MCGC. Once it trips up and goes to the signature screen you have to go to a different lane
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:37 pm

My experience on 10+ occasions suggests otherwise. I've done it with more than 20 MCGC's in the last 2 months
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by SoloExperiment
My experience on 10+ occasions suggests otherwise. I've done it with more than 20 MCGC's in the last 2 months
I don't know what it took me straight to the signature page when I tried it yesterday.
Oh well, I only do MCGC when there is a promotion going at either OD or Staples.
Back to regular DE and Styling Everywhere cards for me.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:03 pm

Just a story about the MO.
I tried to purchase two MOs ($999.3 each) on last Saturday. When the receipt came out, the second MO was voided, so the cashier gave me the first one with $1000 change. I suspected there might be something wrong with this trasaction, so I dicided to keep it until I can confirm it is outstanding. Unfortunately, I called to verify it yesterday and the system told me it was cashed on July.8 with the amount of $32.
Then I brought this MO to walmart and ask for a solution. They contacted with Moneygram and were told there are two records regarding this MO. After a long neogotiate with Moneygram finally I got a new one from Walmart today. I am lucky that a kind Walmart granny helped me solve this issue. If I did not verify this MO or keep the Walmart receipt, I can imagine probably I will lose $1000, plus a return check charge.

PS: The customer service of Moneygram is awful. One stupid rep even ask Walmart fax the cahsed MO to them... I had never seen the granny become angry before, but I did yesterday.

Last edited by forever1001; Oct 4, 2016 at 5:09 pm
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by forever1001
Just a story about the MO.
I tried to purchase two MOs ($999.3 each) on last Saturday. When the receipt came out, the second MO was voided, so the cashier gave me the first one with $1000 change. I suspected there might be something wrong with this trasaction, so I dicided to keep it until I can confirm it is outstanding. Unfortunately, I called to verify it yesterday and the system told me it was cashed on July.8 with the amount of $32.
Then I brought this MO to walmart and ask for a solution. They contacted with Moneygram and were told there are two records regarding this MO. After a long neogotiate with Moneygram finally I got a new one from Walmart today. I am lucky that a kind Walmart granny helped me solve this issue. If I did not verify this MO or keep the Walmart receipt, I can imagine probably I will lose $1000, plus a return check charge.

PS: The customer service of Moneygram is awful. One stupid rep even ask Walmart fax the cahsed MO to them... I had never seen the granny become angry before, but I did yesterday.
Check the VGCs you used to see if the charges were reversed. I had a similar situation where I was given 1k MO and 1k in cash and charges were reversed onto my VGCs. I went back to WM and explained what happened. The cash manager audited everything but insisted they weren't short - I gave her my phone number in case that changed but never got a call back.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Check the VGCs you used to see if the charges were reversed. I had a similar situation where I was given 1k MO and 1k in cash and charges were reversed onto my VGCs. I went back to WM and explained what happened. The cash manager audited everything but insisted they weren't short - I gave her my phone number in case that changed but never got a call back.
same thing happen to me before. i was given 2 MOs at WM, but for some reason the 4 VGCs i used to pay for the MOs have all the funds reversed. the WM is too far away for me to go back to find out what's going on.

so i ended up liquidating the VGCs second time at PO. i dont understand how a MO can be valid if no funds are drawn? i didnt cash out the WM MO but still kept them with me - the last thing i want is the MO bounced when deposited and i m accused for something i am not.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by traveltogo
To the asshat who visited my usual WM in CVG the other day, demanding the cashier process the transaction HIS way, berating her that she was doing it wrong... TAKE A HIKE. When she tries it your way (expecting the VGC to auto drain) and it errors out, don't force her to do it again. YOU ARE WRONG. Stop arguing, treat others with respect, and let her do her job, which is trying to help you. Furthermore, do not bring this to the attention of the Customer Service Manager, and then when you still don't get your way, do not escalate it to the Store Manager.

And even if you ignored everything up to this point, don't be such a dick that security has to be called to make you leave. Better yet, find a new hobby. YOU are why we cannot have nice things. Oh... and did you notice that the grocery store down the street now has a "no GC" policy? Coincidence? Probably not.

You are a disgrace.
Hah, I can't believe people would act that way.

Except I guess I can if they aren't actually churning but instead trying to get money ASAP from stolen credit cards.

Still not having any issues at my WM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.