Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by a9504477
If i submit a BRG, and then on the IHG website the price also goes down to the same lower rate that i found elsewhere, can they deny the claim?
Yes. That's one of the things they do to deny your claim.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by nacho
Yes. That's one of the things they do to deny your claim.
Hmm, it's not really very well covered by their t&cs though it seems, so i guess they are using the vagueness there for their advantage.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by a9504477
Hmm, it's not really very well covered by their t&cs though it seems, so i guess they are using the vagueness there for their advantage.
Yes. However this is not limited to IHG - Marriott is like that sometimes too. Sometimes a hotel hasn't loaded the price into their own site but some OTA has already done that.

That's why I never book prepaid rate for filing BRG - not just IHG but for others too.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:41 pm

Angry Unfair Best Price Guarantee

IHG keeps changing their terms and conditions and keeps making it more limiting every time. They changed the rule from 7 days to 14 days. They are so restrictive with the cancellation policies. I tried putting in a claim and the lower rate was on www.booking.com and the cancellation policy was 2 hours different and they said No. It's ridiculous.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
2 hours is a difference. The game is the game.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:35 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mitpat474
2 hours is a difference. The game is the game.
I'd call it a scam, not in the spirit of the advertisement provided. Same as when they refuse a claim because the cheaper rate includes breakfast while the more expensive IHG rate does not.

I have profited from their guarantee a few times, but overall I perceive a very negative corporate image when dealing with the BRG team. That surely shouldn't be the aim of public relations management.

HTB.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by htb
I'd call it a scam, not in the spirit of the advertisement provided. Same as when they refuse a claim because the cheaper rate includes breakfast while the more expensive IHG rate does not.

I have profited from their guarantee a few times, but overall I perceive a very negative corporate image when dealing with the BRG team. That surely shouldn't be the aim of public relations management.

HTB.
ok.

But 2 hours is a difference, so the denial is correct.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
Puts me in an odd position defending IHG But I think the breakfast thing is caught up in the (sort of reasonable) exclusion of package deals negotiated by OTA.

But you can often add breakfast to the IHG website offer to make up an equivalent package.....

Over the years the BRG has been running, the gaming of the system seems to have developed to the extent that restrictions have become tighter - probably at the insistence of hotels, who are having to foot the bill.

I've an idea a one-off claim by a traveller might be allowed a bit more rope than one from someone with a long history of claims. No way of knowing if this is so, just my interpretation of something an agent said. I could be wrong!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:21 pm

Does anyone have a contact number to escalate IHG BPG? I was a just denied a valid claim, which met ALL terms and conditions and email support is just giving the run around.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:56 pm

There isn't.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I submitted a claim based on a rate available on elvoline.com.

I sent the direct link, because for some reason the hotel is not appearing in the search results.

Claimed denied on the basis that the rate does not appear available to them. I wrote back a couple of times, and got mixed responses like:

Please be advised that verification is real time and is done immediately after the online claim form is received by BPG. At the time of verification, the rate available on elvoline.com is is not available on the third party site, thus claim won’t qualify for the Guarantee.
On the other hand, www.elvoline.com’s lower rate on desktop is not bookable as we were not able to proceed with the next booking page. The third party website is not loading using laptop.
I don't really get it. The rate is bookable for me on elvoline.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I submitted a claim based on a rate available on elvoline.com.

I sent the direct link, because for some reason the hotel is not appearing in the search results.

Claimed denied on the basis that the rate does not appear available to them. I wrote back a couple of times, and got mixed responses like:

Had to switch to my fail safe sites, (others were test purposes) since cancellation deadline is tommorow. Approved claim, so it cant be them being "awkward".

I don't really get it. The rate is bookable for me on elvoline.
I had that for 3 of 4 sites yesterday , and 4/4 the day before ( all for the same claim)

Last edited by mitpat474; Dec 3, 2015 at 6:12 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:37 am

The BPG-Desk can be a pain in the ... nowadays

Hope this e-mail finds you well.

Please be informed that as checked on your folio, the InterContinental XXXX hotel did not charge you for your stay on XX Nov 2015 under confirmation no. XXXX.

Since the hotel adjusted your reservation to complimentary, reimbursement is no longer forthcoming from our office.

Once again, we truly apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to contact us as we value your business. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us again via e-mail at [email protected].
The stay was prepaid and obviously paid by credit card. I have never received a refund by the hotel and I clearly stated the booking and billing date while asking for reimbursement. No response on my objection.

Unfortunatelly the invoice states 0 which I accepted as I assumed the deposit would have been refunded to my credit card while on the road. This has happened (without problems) before but unfortunatelly transactions on this card are shown slowly.

I contacted the hotel now. Any other ideas what I could possibly do? Chargeback seems difficult as booked 4 month ago. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:57 pm

I believe the IHG Best Price Guarantee is starting to make up reasons for denying claims.

I have a valid claim that met all the various terms and conditions. The IHG BPG rep denied because he assumed the OTA didn't have auto confirmation.

However, IT DOES! I responded showing them that the OTA meets this criteria and even the software that they're using to do this. The IHG BPG rep confirms this, BUT they respond:

Please be advised that we have contacted the competing site to verify if they provide immediate confirmation and they informed us that instant confirmation is provided to customer immediately, however bookings may encounter error or the hotels having been fully booked for preferred dates of stay. As such, this will result in the booking to be rejected and would require contacting guests to give update on the alternative options that they have. Therefore they are not able to give you 100% confirmation that all bookings will be guaranteed immediately.
Now this condition is not found anywhere in the Terms and Conditions and quite frankly would have no legal basis since it's not possible to offer 100% guarantee that an OTA's system will not have an error or bug.
So now they're deciding to move the goal posts and add in conditions that cannot be met as reason for denial.

I've tried to escalate the issue, but no one seems to be taking this issue seriously. They are however happy to document my dissatisfaction.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I submitted another claim for another night in the same week and had a claim approved. My cheaper rate was on amoma.com this time. There was only one room available so I got lucky they didn't sell it before IHG checked. It's one night at the Intercontinental Park Lane in London. Unfortunately it's just a Classic Room (they look tiny and old fashioned), but at least it's with breakfast.

I only hope I won't have to pay for it and claim a refund afterwards. I'd rather avoid the hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.