Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
What's the premium lounge breakfast like? Is there more to expect than the never-changing scrambled eggs and chicken sausages of the Schengen lounge?
There are cold cuts and cheeses, pancakes at least sometimes, yogurt-berry-things, more juice options... but of course the most important difference is NF.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
The berry/fruit filled crepes are tasty
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Yes, the crepes are great. In fact, I'd say that compared to the rest of the lounges, breakfast has the biggest relative improvement.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:25 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Writing about lounge staff (or every once in a while a "dragon"), Kenneth is a GEM !!!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by TTL
Writing about lounge staff (or every once in a while a "dragon"), Kenneth is a GEM !!!
I stopped using the word dragon after getting some shttload of using that word everybody uses
From now on, all lounge agents are just beautiful ladies and gentlemen for me and I behave very non-Finnish way there. I smile and greet, look in their eyes, make a smalltalk comment, thank for passing me in and come back later to have a chit-chat if I see them bored. Should I ask for compensation
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by Alec84
Yeah, that's a bad time to be at HEL. I hope the departure day being a Saturday will help me a bit or that the flight will be delayed for a few hours. I'll post here after finding out how it goes. Luckily I have another non-Schengen departure later this year at around 7pm, so might have better luck then.
It was an extremely busy Saturday. I usually leave at less busy hours from HEL and its really a bliss to stroll through the airport and enjoy almost empty lounges at such times. This was almost horrible. People everywhere, most often having no clue where they were going and stopping suddenly without any reason

Well, something good came out of this: I and the person I was travelling with were directed to the Premium Lounge without me even asking for it. I think it was because the Business Lounge had a lot of visitors and the Premium one was not full. Or maybe they direct all OWS status holders there, even though the web site states differently.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AY Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
In a country where there's around one sauna for every three people, incorporating one into the new lounge seemed a natural thing to do.

Read more... http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/23/tr...html?hpt=hp_c5
Did try the sauna 10th October. Sauna was ok and it was nice to chat with foreigners being first time to sauna and explain our sauna culture, but ....

- the lockers very few and small (really small!)
- the dressing rooms small for 3 people, almost impossible to fit all
at once
- look at the picture, 1 (one) chair. Like we, a group of 3 where to be? Just standing there as the cleaner was standing right in front the chair. Just standing.
- an almost empty jug of water (I refilled from water tab) with some paper cups
Did not see anyone checking this during our stay.
- no juice, just the tab water to refresh
- shame Finnair, a good chance spoiled! As aaid sauna was fine but everything else sucks.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
Visited the lounge last Thursday.

Very nice service, and smiling personnel.

I don't know if my face is unapproachable or something, but the lounge was rather empty and one of the staff asked a few clients if they'd want something more to drink, but passed me and my empty glass without asking. Not a big deal, but still I noticed it.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by intuition
Yes, the web page has been updated to say AY plat, gold and oneworld emeralds have access to premium and no one else.
The peak hour thing is not mentioned on AY pages, but have been reported a few times here. My guess is that either AY is trying to ease in to the new rule or there just isnt any consistency in how staff applies the new rules. But unless the web page is wrong, then any sapphire admittance is fluke.
On the way out HEL-DEL when we arrived at the lounge (both OW sapphire, travelling in J) we were directed to the premium lounge automatically. On the return landing from DEL and connecting to LHR we were shown to the "normal" J lounge.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
On the way out HEL-DEL when we arrived at the lounge (both OW sapphire, travelling in J) we were directed to the premium lounge automatically. On the return landing from DEL and connecting to LHR we were shown to the "normal" J lounge.
Well to my understanding non-AY Sapphires have access to the Premium lounge during non-peak hours.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
What's the latest on being able to access the Premium lounge with a Schengen boarding pass?

In a couple of weeks' time, my OH and I will be flying out of HEL. I (OWE) will be flying HEL-ARN, and she (OWR) will be flying HEL-LHR. We're both on AY flights. Mine leaves about an hour later. Would we be admitted to the non-Schengen premium lounge or would it be better sticking to the Schengen lounge?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
What's the latest on being able to access the Premium lounge with a Schengen boarding pass?

In a couple of weeks' time, my OH and I will be flying out of HEL. I (OWE) will be flying HEL-ARN, and she (OWR) will be flying HEL-LHR. We're both on AY flights. Mine leaves about an hour later. Would we be admitted to the non-Schengen premium lounge or would it be better sticking to the Schengen lounge?
Well your first step is to pass immigration, you can use the automated gates if you're an UK/EU citizen. If the gates are not in operation and you have to talk to an officer, she or she might ask you where are you going. The easiest answer is to say "London" but also they might let you thru if you tell them you want to use the sauna.

You can go to the Premium Lounge and ask for access as you're accompanying your wife for her LHR flight.

The dragons might try to tell you to use the lounge in the schengen area as it's closer to your flight, but the Premium one is significantly nicer than the schengen one and you can once again tell them you want to use the sauna.

Hope I helped you
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Hope I helped you
That is very helpful, thank you! In all of my recent travels the e-passport gates have been working - if that pattern holds, the experience should be very smooth.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is there an upper age limit for children before they are considered guests in this lounge? I am OWE via BA Gold and my wife and son (4 years old) are both OWS. We would like to spend a few hours there between 12 and 4pm the week before Christmas, are these non-peak hours?

Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Is there an upper age limit for children before they are considered guests in this lounge? I am OWE via BA Gold and my wife and son (4 years old) are both OWS. We would like to spend a few hours there between 12 and 4pm the week before Christmas, are these non-peak hours?

Thanks
Hi Steve,

All children over two are considered guests but if he's cute enough they might let you all in.

Different rules apply where Finnair Gold and Platinum get any amount of children under 18 into their lounges.

Your time in the lounge seem to be non-peak hours but it can vary on the mood of the dragon.

If you would like to have guaranteed access, go to this thread where you can seek help for guesting.

For more about AY lounges go here..

For any information regarding transit at Helsinki-Vantaa airport, have a look at this thread.

And should any other question about Finnair arise, please do not hesitate to consult this section.

Hope I helped you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.