Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Im probably going to get flamed or disowned by posting this but, enough with that stupid bloggers post. YOU CAN'T DO WHAT HE DID period. It's gone. Yes I know what I'm talking about. I had booking almost as good as the bloggers. We'll better since mine was all F. No stopovers outside dxb unless you get really really lucky but with all the attention you probably won't. We'll maybe you will find someone sorry enough that you have to pay nearly 200k miles on a one way trip.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 15, 2016 at 5:48 am
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
^
Originally Posted by CDKing
Im probably going to get flamed or disowned by posting this but, enough with that stupid bloggers post. YOU CAN'T DO WHAT HE DID period. It's gone. Yes I know what I'm talking about. I had booking almost as good as the bloggers. We'll better since mine was all F. No stopovers outside dxb unless you get really really lucky but with all the attention you probably won't. We'll maybe you will find someone sorry enough that you have to pay nearly 200k miles on a one way trip.

Thank you ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I missed the post earlier but

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I think your right another "blogger" or someone who will post up!! I thought the new redemption would rid ourselves of this crap.

AS will only allow a stopover in DXB which is of course EK's hub.
Well at this price you really need to exploit it to get even close to break even on the cost for miles. Probably just how OP wants to justify paying 200K miles for a one way EK trip
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I missed the post earlier but

Well at this price you really need to exploit it to get even close to break even on the cost for miles. Probably just how OP wants to justify paying 200K miles for a one way EK trip
Depending on the conversion rate I fly to CT on points then purchase my return ticket at the local AMEX office with current conversion makes sense and I get the miles, so for me at least the cost works
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:12 am

Is there any way to avoid the lounge access issue in advance ? I have an F redemption originating in BKK and would like to avoid any problems. On a prior JFK-DXB-SIN , the EK folks at JFK had to "work" with my reservation to get a lounge card to print . The F check-in person at JFK had to go to the ticketing desk to get it sorted and it took about 15 minutes to solve. I was hoping there is a way to get AS to have their EK partner folks get the reservation set up properly for lounge access prior to dealing with the issue at BKK. I see upthread that this was an issue for folks originating from SIN. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Is there any way to avoid the lounge access issue in advance ? I have an F redemption originating in BKK and would like to avoid any problems. On a prior JFK-DXB-SIN , the EK folks at JFK had to "work" with my reservation to get a lounge card to print . The F check-in person at JFK had to go to the ticketing desk to get it sorted and it took about 15 minutes to solve. I was hoping there is a way to get AS to have their EK partner folks get the reservation set up properly for lounge access prior to dealing with the issue at BKK. I see upthread that this was an issue for folks originating from SIN. Any advice is appreciated.
You know I have not had an issue in the flights that I have taken. I think maybe it has to do with the local lounge maybe. I do have an EK FF account so I do make sure I have all my flight information listed there. Not sure if that helps but I do use it. And I do pay for EK trips as well
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Just be firm and ask for a supervisor if need be. It's probably more contractors at outstations who don't know that this is a thing but presumably the supervisor (or a supervisor somewhere) will be an EK employee (and not a contractor) and be able to sort things out.

On IAH - DXB - SIN in March, one lounge at DXB waved me right in (A lounge) while at the B lounge (where we departed from) I got a "this is an Alaska ticket right?" and then waved me in after I confirmed but I know that DXB is a different story because they see these fairly frequently.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:54 am
wdc

I currently have 2 seats booked JFK-DXB-BOM both legs in F on the A380. Would prefer to fly JFK-DXB-DEL instead, but only if DXB-DEL is in F.

Currently there is 1 F and 1 J available, but I've never seen 2 F open ever on the 773ER on that route. Anyone know how EK release seats on the 773ER? Will another F open up only after the first one is taken?

Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wdc
I currently have 2 seats booked JFK-DXB-BOM both legs in F on the A380. Would prefer to fly JFK-DXB-DEL instead, but only if DXB-DEL is in F.

Currently there is 1 F and 1 J available, but I've never seen 2 F open ever on the 773ER on that route. Anyone know how EK release seats on the 773ER? Will another F open up only after the first one is taken?

Thanks
I think its too much risk considering if it doesn't open you just burned your 1 rebooking without reprice to the new award pricing
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:59 am

Does anyone have any experiences dealing with AS agents regarding the "one-time" change exception? Are they pretty educated on the exception? Also, what kind of changes can be made? Just date, or can routing be changed as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jglenn16
Does anyone have any experiences dealing with AS agents regarding the "one-time" change exception? Are they pretty educated on the exception? Also, what kind of changes can be made? Just date, or can routing be changed as well?

Thanks in advance!
IF there is availability on the flight and class you can generally do it. Don't look for exception in availability
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
IF there is availability on the flight and class you can generally do it. Don't look for exception in availability
Yeah, basically just looking for a simple date change. I have an EK F ticket for Jan 2017, but want to push it out to later in the year, so just wanted to make sure that it won't be an issue granted there is availability.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:08 pm

Yeah, basically just looking for a simple date change. I have an EK F ticket for Jan 2017, but want to push it out to later in the year, so just wanted to make sure that it won't be an issue granted there is availability.
should not be an issue Good Luck ^
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Thanks in advance!
They seem educated on the exception but unclear on how to process the requested changes. I called to upgrade a segment from J to F and the agent seemed extremely confused and ended up putting me on hold for about 30 minutes. She mentioned something to the effect of "we don't do a lot of these".
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
They seem educated on the exception but unclear on how to process the requested changes. I called to upgrade a segment from J to F and the agent seemed extremely confused and ended up putting me on hold for about 30 minutes. She mentioned something to the effect of "we don't do a lot of these".
The problem maybe you have gotten a newer agent which I have before. I would simply bid them a god day and then call back hoping to get Seattle call center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.