Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2022, 9:33 am

Apologies. Long day, but no excuse.

If you haven’t already, I’d check where the ticket was issued.

If you’re not sure, and can’t see from VS website etc. then the best best is to type in ‘Saudia manage booking’ to Google enter your e-ticket there on the Saudia website, making sure to change the first 3 letters to 932.. followed by the rest of your e-ticket number. And surname.

That should help to show where the ticket was issued. I’ve had one-way tickets beginning Asia and Europe being issued from the US… but you never know.
dval44 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:51 pm

When I booked an award ANA flight (LAX-HND) through VS last time, I asked to change the date of travel a few hours after I made the original booking. The rep initially said it would be $50 to change. I then indicated that it is still within 24 hours and there should be no charge. He checked again and said I was absolutely right.

I believe the DOT rule applies to any flight to or from USA.

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Ok. A lot of basics getting asked here. Just to nip these in the bud (and please read back over the thread for future reference):

1) in answer to br0wntown - if it is part of the same PNRr/ticket and you decide in Tokyo that you will ‘accidentally’ miss the next flight - you will not receive any points or taxes back. There is a 24 hours-in-advance cancellation window, up to which time the $50 is applicable, with all points refunded.

2) dval44 - as stated above in this post. Agent is talking the aftermath of a vindaloo, if that’s what you’ve been told.

it’s a flat $50 / £30 uK (or 35 I forget) if you cancel more than 24 hours out.

As to free cancellation within 24 hours, this could be a DoT thing, if ticket was issued by US office, or because it originates in US. Have a look, UK-based so I don’t know. But $100 is a lie.
dval44 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 1:13 pm

Got 2 J tickets but how soon should they appear on ANA?

Hi, managed to book 2 seats out of IAH to NRT.
The itinerary showed up on my Virgin Atlantic account, but when I tried the record locator on ANA, ANA website cannot find the itinerary.

Is the record locator from VS is the same w ANA?
How soon should the flight show up on ANA?

Thks!
Happy to get 2 tickets, albeit the surcharges is rather steep - about $704 for 2 pax. However, w transfer bonus, 70K points transferred for 2 ANA J is not bad, IMO.

Updated:
Chatted w VS agent. It is a different record locator and I was able to see the booking and assign seats. Looking forward to going back to Japan!
haroon145 likes this.

Last edited by r0m8470; Oct 17, 2022 at 2:24 pm
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by r0m8470
Hi, managed to book 2 seats out of IAH to NRT.
The itinerary showed up on my Virgin Atlantic account, but when I tried the record locator on ANA, ANA website cannot find the itinerary.

Is the record locator from VS is the same w ANA?
How soon should the flight show up on ANA?

Thks!
Happy to get 2 tickets, albeit the surcharges is rather steep - about $704 for 2 pax. However, w transfer bonus, 70K points transferred for 2 ANA J is not bad, IMO.

Updated:
Chatted w VS agent. It is a different record locator and I was able to see the booking and assign seats. Looking forward to going back to Japan!
Search your ticket number and put your name including your middle initial (Evan S becomes Evans)
Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: n/a
Originally Posted by digh27
Gotcha, that's reasonable. Thanks Tofino.

I'm guessing if you re-book to a different date you will have to pay the difference in fuel surcharges as well?
happend to me. went from $100 something usd to $450 usd. because we wanted to extend our 9 day japan trip to 14. not sure if i should bail on the JAL ANA flights and try to switch to a united metal. sigh lol . if it was just me and my spouse it would be fine but we also have atoddler
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:13 am

Here’s one that doesn’t get discussed much in this forum, but may do more so with the proper re-opening:

Domestic Japan flights, in economy class.

These book in to ‘X’ class, using VS points.

I’ve booked one and afterwards thought I’d better check the checked baggage allowance, but 1 piece would be fine…

Obviously nothing useful on the virgin confirmation email, or the attached pdf documents (which relate to VS flights).

Next up, check Saudia ‘manage my booking’, using the e-ticket number. This has always been accurate for international flights in J & F in the past.

What does it say? ‘0 pieces’.

I call VS. 2 agents give me 2 different answers. One thinks I should get 1 bag, 23kg allowance. The other says their information on partner flights says ‘checked baggage may not be included’.

So, I called NH direct. Reached a US-based agent.

His first response was ‘yes I can see zero pieces’. Then he went to check. Then he came back and said I should get x1 piece, up to 203cm dimensions and up to 20kg weight.

Then I told him about the Saudia website stating zero.

He asked which carrier I arrived in to Japan with (I’m already here) - I said it was NH, on an obviously completely separate ticket.

He went away, came back about 10 mins later and said he’d added that information in to my economy booking for this domestic flight… so that it ‘should be fine’ and ‘international baggage rules will apply’.

Now, I get it, that’s the case if you have an economy domestic segment of tagged on to an international flight on the same ticket.

But, what gives?? Has anyone flown domestic using VS points (in a standalone ticket) and can comment on the baggage allowance?

I would prefer to use my VS points for this and 2 more domestic flights, but if there’s no baggage allowance I’ll have to look at using Avios instead - the cash fares I’m looking for are very expensive, even in economy.

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You will get 20kg of luggage allowance. Unbundled fares have not made their way to ANA yet.
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
It looks like ANA updated their fuel surcharge info as it will be a little cheaper from December:
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/book-pla...fuelsurcharge/
aquanine and digh27 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You will get 20kg of luggage allowance. Unbundled fares have not made their way to ANA yet.
Thanks CPH.

It was weird that Saudia says zero bags, whereas it’s usually accurate!
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Thanks CPH.

It was weird that Saudia says zero bags, whereas it’s usually accurate!
I have seen quite a few examples reported recently on various airlines where partner awards don't show the luggage allowance correctly.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by dval44
Hi, does anyone know if the "free 24 hour cancel" window applies here? I am U.S. based and the flight I booked was NRT-LAX.

After I made the booking, I had misgivings about the $450 taxes, and I also realized that the schedule is going back to the old config for November. (So there should be a seat on NRT-LAX for Nov 21st if anyone wants it!).

Anyways, I called them up about 2 hours after booking and asked to cancel. The guy told me there would be a $100 fee - $50 to refund miles and $50 for something else I couldn't quite make out. I tried to ask about the "24 hour window" and he said no. Assuming he is right but maybe there is a small possibility he is not and the system will spit out something more favorable for me.

I'll update here on what gets reimbursed to my cc, but curious if anyone knows. Thanks.
Two quick data points for everyone:

1.) The full charge landed back on my card about a week after booking despite the agent on the phone telling me it would be less $100. I did not ask or press for the full refund, so the system or the back office folks must process it correctly.

2.) This morning I was checking ANA awards and there is quite a bit of availability right now. There is HND-LAX just about every single day in business for the next few weeks, and I just booked the new F class for November on that route. Didn't check any other routes, but there seemed to be significantly more awards.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
sorry-newbie here-trying to use virgin pts to get to japan from uk..came across this...
is using on ana the best way to do so?? what are the total fees be in tax and surcharges typically for a return trip?
thanks...
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:16 am

It's been a few years since I have made this redemption and the United site has changed - just want to confirm that when searching on the United site for a flight you can redeem with VS points, it must say it is a "Savor Award," correct?
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:32 am

Question New To This

Hi,
I'm new and had a few questions.
1) To do this award do the flights need to be nonstop?
2) What is the best airport for availability typically (I know right now it's low across the board)?
3) I know the United site has been recommended, but I've found lately it isn't as helpful as what is displayed in screenshots previously. What is the most effective way to search nowadays?
4) Any other recommendations for finding an award space?
Thank you!

Last edited by Ethan Cahill; Oct 24, 2022 at 7:38 am
Old Oct 24, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
sorry-newbie here-trying to use virgin pts to get to japan from uk..came across this...
is using on ana the best way to do so?? what are the total fees be in tax and surcharges typically for a return trip?
thanks...
A few posts up this was posted International Fuel Surcharge / Insurance Surcharge Information | Book Flights/Plan Travel | Flight Reservations | ANA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.