Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:12 pm

Do you guys know what is the charge for a flight change cancellation in VS? I had to cancel an earlier flight but due to covid/flight change there was no fees.
I am seeing that VS charges $50 for change/cancels but wasn't sure if that also covered partner award travel.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by digh27
Do you guys know what is the charge for a flight change cancellation in VS? I had to cancel an earlier flight but due to covid/flight change there was no fees.
I am seeing that VS charges $50 for change/cancels but wasn't sure if that also covered partner award travel.
Depends through which office you make your booking, but yes 30 date change / cancellation if made in UK. $50 (or equivalent) otherwise, as I understand it (all mine have been in ).

Think the free date change policy has now expired, based on what agents told me the other day.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tofino87
Depends through which office you make your booking, but yes 30 date change / cancellation if made in UK. $50 (or equivalent) otherwise, as I understand it (all mine have been in ).

Think the free date change policy has now expired, based on what agents told me the other day.
Gotcha, that's reasonable. Thanks Tofino.

I'm guessing if you re-book to a different date you will have to pay the difference in fuel surcharges as well?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by digh27
Gotcha, that's reasonable. Thanks Tofino.

I'm guessing if you re-book to a different date you will have to pay the difference in fuel surcharges as well?
Yes.
Tofino87 and digh27 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:08 am

I have been checking out flights for a better part of the day and I managed to find a business class that flew within normal hours.I took too long to consider and it ended being snatched up by someone. From the looks of things, first class is actually much easier to book compared to business class. I placed all the rewards flights I found manually through a spreadsheet and most of them, save for the two were first class. ALL of the ones that have availability are all leaving 12:05 AM the next day and arriving 5:30 AM in Tokyo. I've been wanting to try out the new refurbished cabins but unfortunately they don't seem to be used out of LAX. Seeing as people here have more experience in this realm than me, I do have some questions

1.How big difference of a gap will I see from business to first? The cost difference is around 15,000 points with a surcharge of 800 dollars. Is it just completely difference experience compared to business?
2. I remember a flight I booked back in 2019 had a problem of checking in early at my hotel. They assessed me some early check in fee but did let me in a few hours before normal check in times. This gave me a breath of relief after a long flight. Is there any hotel I can check in very early for my first day? I plan to use another hotel the following days.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by BBonly
I have been checking out flights for a better part of the day and I managed to find a business class that flew within normal hours.I took too long to consider and it ended being snatched up by someone. From the looks of things, first class is actually much easier to book compared to business class. I placed all the rewards flights I found manually through a spreadsheet and most of them, save for the two were first class. ALL of the ones that have availability are all leaving 12:05 AM the next day and arriving 5:30 AM in Tokyo. I've been wanting to try out the new refurbished cabins but unfortunately they don't seem to be used out of LAX. Seeing as people here have more experience in this realm than me, I do have some questions

1.How big difference of a gap will I see from business to first? The cost difference is around 15,000 points with a surcharge of 800 dollars. Is it just completely difference experience compared to business?
2. I remember a flight I booked back in 2019 had a problem of checking in early at my hotel. They assessed me some early check in fee but did let me in a few hours before normal check in times. This gave me a breath of relief after a long flight. Is there any hotel I can check in very early for my first day? I plan to use another hotel the following days.
They're definitely flying the new cabin on LAX-HND at the moment. Im 95% sure they are on NRT LAX too. Could be changing for the point in future youre looking at, given both ORD routes are getting it soon.

Cant comment on the difference in experience between J and F as Ive only flown new F, and 789 J, but I think its fair to say that for long haul a 15,000 points difference one way is worth it - especially if youll partake in whisky, wine etc.

The surcharges sound about right. I believe theyre the same whichever you fly F or J, so again probably makes F more palpable.

No idea on hotels sorry, havent been able to make it to Japan yet! (Well, apart from transit!)

PS anything youve put in a spreadsheet is likely to change on a daily, or even hourly basis. When you see something that could work for you it really is a case of book now, ask questions later at the moment.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 4:44 am

Lap infant?

Does anyone have experience adding a lap infant to an ANA award seat booked with VS points?

Specifically, do I need the lap infant's passport at the time of booking? Also, will there be a change fee to add a lap infant to an existing reservation?
​​​​
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by sneamia
Does anyone have experience adding a lap infant to an ANA award seat booked with VS points?

Specifically, do I need the lap infant's passport at the time of booking? Also, will there be a change fee to add a lap infant to an existing reservation?
​​​​
Youll need the lap infants name and birth date to confirm they are under 2 years. Points cost is 10% of normal fare.

Not sure about adding a lap infant to an existing reservation but Id assume youd need to rebook.

Note that youll need to call ANA after booking to make seat selection.

Last edited by rawrbot; Sep 19, 2022 at 9:54 am
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:31 am

Lap infant

Originally Posted by rawrbot;[url=tel:34612574
34612574[/url]]Youll need the lap infants name and birth date to confirm they are under 2 years. Points cost is 10% of normal fare.

Not sure about adding a lap infant to an existing reservation but Id assume youd need to rebook.

Note that youll need to call ANA after booking to make seat selection.
Just to circle back on this:

I called and they were able to add the lap infant to the existing reservation for 10% of the cost plus taxes (came out to be 7k VS points plus $30-40 in taxes for ORD-HND in F). It seems like they did NOT need to reticket, since I did not pay a change fee, nor did I pay the increased taxes, and I retained my prior seat selection.

Any reason I need to call to make the seat selection vs. selecting online?
josephbanjo7 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by sneamia
Just to circle back on this:

I called and they were able to add the lap infant to the existing reservation for 10% of the cost plus taxes (came out to be 7k VS points plus $30-40 in taxes for ORD-HND in F). It seems like they did NOT need to reticket, since I did not pay a change fee, nor did I pay the increased taxes, and I retained my prior seat selection.

Any reason I need to call to make the seat selection vs. selecting online?
Nice - glad to hear it worked out without rebooking! If the lap infant is traveling with you in your seat I see no reason to call in. I've only had to call in after booking with a lap infant as ANA seems to restrict the selection online for lap infants.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:41 pm

I finally booked a flight in Feb of 2023. I spent a good 2 hours on Sunday finding alot of availability from February to March. I had at least 30 of them I had on a spreadsheet, all marked down ready to go. Every single day after making that list, at least 5-9 award flights were disappearing which left me with practically 1 left so I just went with it. Booking was easy costing me 55,000 + 393.xx, first class / one way / non stop. From the date of this posting, I could not find any more business or first class in all of fall 2022 to April 2023. If someone wants a date of availability by business in February, you can PM me as this is the only date available left from my spreadsheet and I'll let you know. It's a one way in the early morning hours. I made this post for anyone currently looking who might be interested. I heard these things go fast, but Jesus they really go quick. My best guess is I just happened to be lucky and started to look at a time where there was availability.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:58 am

Hi all,

freaking out here as both legs of our ANA flights have had schedule changes and we are due to leave beginning Nov.

the schedule changes arent suitable now but ANA offer the ability to confirm changes or select other dates

the latter offers me a calendar that only allows me to push back my flight by 7 days max.

anyone familiar with this scenario? Id instead want to push it back 2 weeks to a more suitable flight but it doesnt allow for this.

im scared to dummy test it, but are these changes free of charge? Im worried I booked these flights pre taxes and fees hike and would hate to miss out on our honeymoon for the 3rd year running due to their schedule change.

Any advice if ideal outcome is to push back flights by a few weeks?

thanks
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:32 pm

Just booked NH212 LHR-HND using 60k points and 526(!!) GBP. Didn't realize fuel surcharges an ex-London APD was so high. I tried booking it ex EU through lifemiles instead to reduce both but that didn't work out sadly
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
I've been thinking of booking but the surcharges are really high... though seems like it will be a lot more expensive if booking next month... It will be $434/one-way (just fuel surcharge) from the US?!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:57 pm

Just booked a Tokyo (HND) to Osaka (ITM) with Virgin Atlantic points - 7,500 points + 4.40

They couldn't add it onto my existing LHR to HND booking (ANA), so unsure whether they will be able to check baggage to final destination

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.